Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Thousand Sons Army worth getting?
Old 14 Feb 2008, 20:28   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Thousand Sons Army worth getting?

I currently have a large Tau Army and am looking to possibly start a new army. I am currently considering a Grey Knights with IG army, a Tyranid 'Nid Zilla force or a Chaos Thousand Sons Army.
The reason I like thousand sons so far is their invunerable saves out the yingyang. It would be great to play an eldar or tau force built around killing your elite 3+ and 2+ infantry, only to find they still have a 4+ invunerable. Also, all marines moving with slow and purposeful making so they could always fire their bolters and inferno bolts are godly. From what I can see, an Space Marines or Necron would be absolutely crushed by thousand sons. My concern is this, how does Thousand Sons hold up to Orks or Tyranids?
Old 15 Feb 2008, 02:56   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Thousand Sons Army worth getting?

They have a 5+ Invulnerable.

Only Aspiring Champions and higher have 4+
ct_drummer_boi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Feb 2008, 03:30   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by ct_drummer_boi
They have a 5+ Invulnerable.

Only Aspiring Champions and higher have 4+
Wrong.

Anyway.

Thousand sons are pretty specialized and they honestly are not that much 'tougher' then an actual marine, sure they have an Inv. Save, but thats it.
Thousand sons have access to many psychic powers that can help with crowd control (doom bolt, winds of chaos) and dreads and predators can mount heavybolters and the ilk. The army wont be too fast, so objective capturing may be tricky and you'll most likely always be out numbered.

They are pretty powerful on the offense though and the infernal bolts are down-right mean. If you can strike a good balance between anti-tank and anti-infantry fire, you should do fine. If it was me, I'd give the Sorcerers doom bolt to compliment the bolters (three AP3 shots are fun!). I'd use Predators as my anti-tank (tri-las) while a chaos lord/demon prince/dreads/what ever can be used as counter assault units if needed.
Originally Posted by The Strange Child
Sigged.
He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss,the abyss gazes also into you.
~Friedrich Nietzsche
Grindgobble Witherfume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Feb 2008, 03:36   #4 (permalink)
Aun
Shas'El

Normal Thousand Sons have a 4+ invulnerable, Chaos Space marines with the Mark of Tzeentch get a 5+ involn and characters with the Mark of Tzeentch gain a +1 to their involn save.

I have played Thousand Sons for a long time, and Nid's and the new Orks are going to be your biggest foe because there are so many of them and Thousand Sons will not win any contest in close combat. Thatís why I started using other chaos units.

You can play a pure Thousand Sons army if you want, and there is nothing wrong with that, but you will have problems with hoards and Tanks. That why I started to use Slaanesh Noise Marines and a Daemon Prince.

The Daemon Prince is able to butcher most things with Warp Time and can flame most units with Wind of Chaos, and having the mark of Tzeentch lets you use two powers in the same turn, so he can help you with CC.

The Slaanehs boys give you some long range fire power, both in anti tank and anti hoard in the form of Blastmasters and Sonic blasters.

Also, don't we have a few good Thousand Sons tactica's around here so don't be afraid to search for them.
Old 16 Feb 2008, 00:31   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silmaciryamo
Normal Thousand Sons have a 4+ invulnerable, Chaos Space marines with the Mark of Tzeentch get a 5+ involn and characters with the Mark of Tzeentch gain a +1 to their involn save.
Ah, yeah you are right. My mistake.

To Grindgobble: Next time instead of just blatently stating that something is wrong, try constructively criticizing and correcting with a polite response. Like Silmaciryamo.
Just some food for though.
ct_drummer_boi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Feb 2008, 00:41   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by ct_drummer_boi
To Grindgobble: Next time instead of just blatently stating that something is wrong, try constructively criticizing and correcting with a polite response. Like Silmaciryamo.
Just some food for though.
My apologies. In hindsight, my response was rather rude. I'll keep your words in mind for the future.
Originally Posted by The Strange Child
Sigged.
He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss,the abyss gazes also into you.
~Friedrich Nietzsche
Grindgobble Witherfume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Feb 2008, 02:49   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
having the mark of Tzeentch lets you use two powers in the same turn
really are you sure because that would help alot
Old 16 Feb 2008, 02:52   #8 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by iangingell
Quote:
having the mark of Tzeentch lets you use two powers in the same turn
really are you sure because that would help alot
Yes, on your psyker models. However, you can not use two shooting attacks in one turn. You may only use one of them. However, you can use one shooting and one assault psychic powers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emlyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT
They're an insane bunch of reptiles...
I wasn't asking about the moderating staff.
crisis_vyper is offline   Reply With Quote