Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Defilers in a Khorne army (Theme Question)
Old 12 Feb 2008, 00:59   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Defilers in a Khorne army (Theme Question)

I'd always thought that the defiler would be a perfectly themed vehicle to take in khornate army. A massive CC beast that also has fleet, can't seem to get any more khornate than that, right?

Unfortunatly I played a friend of mine yesterday who disagrees. He hates the defilers in my army. Okay with them in most other chaos armies but somehow he has decided defilers in a khorne army are the cheesiest piece of cheese that ever existed (Okay, maybe not that much, but he definitley hates them) I don't want to just stop playing him seeing as he's my friend and not some random I decided to have a game with. So does anyone have any advice as to how I can make him see things my way? Or am I the one who's wrong? Are defilers not khornate?
Puppyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Feb 2008, 01:20   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Re: Defilers in a Khorne army (Theme Question)

your right and wrong. Defilers defintily fit the profile of khorne. the idea is that it is just a hunk of metal that is inhabited by a bound daemon. however to bind a pissed off daemon to a machine takes some pretty tough socerery which khorne thinks is wrong. So in theroy they fit the profile of khorne, but fluff wise its not the case. the only time a defiler would show up in a khorne army is if it were a segment of the black legion
Old 12 Feb 2008, 05:36   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Your friend is most likely just not wanting to go up against a defiler. Either way point him to the Brass scorpion of Khorne which, is a larger version of a defiler. I'd say that's pretty conclusive proof that Khorne uses defilers.

If he still has problem with it, ask him how he would like it to have you refuse to play him because of one of his unit choices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iangingell
your right and wrong. Defilers defintily fit the profile of khorne. the idea is that it is just a hunk of metal that is inhabited by a bound daemon. however to bind a pissed off daemon to a machine takes some pretty tough socerery which khorne thinks is wrong. So in theroy they fit the profile of khorne, but fluff wise its not the case. the only time a defiler would show up in a khorne army is if it were a segment of the black legion
Who's to say a Khorne army would use spells on it when not in battle? They could simply restrain it by whatever means or disable the parts that run the machinery leaving the trapped daemon enraged and unable to move. There's more ways to justify it's use than to prevent it.
Cadaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Feb 2008, 10:36   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via MSN to deadnightwarrior

'Your friend is most likely just not wanting to go up against a defiler. Either way point him to the Brass scorpion of Khorne which, is a larger version of a defiler. I'd say that's pretty conclusive proof that Khorne uses defilers.'

I found a useful article on converting these guys,
http://us.games-workshop.com/games/4...on/default.htm

Hope it helps you out.

Old 13 Feb 2008, 11:46   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

In the Libre Chaotica Volume 1:Khorne, There are two pages with nothing but Khornanate war machines. Khorne loves the big smashy machines. Also, take a look at the catalog of old models. Most of the giant warhmachines in epic 40k were Khorne Machines.
Originally Posted by The Strange Child
Sigged.
He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss,the abyss gazes also into you.
~Friedrich Nietzsche
Grindgobble Witherfume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Feb 2008, 21:44   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppyblue
He hates the defilers in my army.
Defilers? He probably thinks that having more than one in a non-apocalypse army cheesy.
TubbyAlligator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Feb 2008, 22:23   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by TubbyAlligator
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppyblue
He hates the defilers in my army.
Defilers? He probably thinks that having more than one in a non-apocalypse army cheesy.
They're big, and die fast due to people over-estimating them and pouring fire into them.
Wired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Feb 2008, 07:43   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Thanks for the replies everyone. I feel a lot better about having a defiler in my army now considering the precedence Games Workshop have set for Khorne and massive warmachines.

I was wondering if anyone has more information about daemonic possession, and not just in defilers but in general. Because iangingell is right about the codex saying daemonic possession (at least in the case of the defiler) requires a sorcerer pulling a daemon out of the warp. Would a follower of Khorne have a different way to bind a daemon to a machine? Or will they just steal defilers from other warbands that do contain sorcerers?
Puppyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Feb 2008, 08:30   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Ritual isn't necessarily sorcery. Just remember, Khorne commonly uses daemon weapons, which definitely have a daemon bound in them, so a Defiler would be no different.
Lord_Caerolion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Feb 2008, 09:17   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I think Khorne's more annoyed by the "Shoot-fireballs-from-a-distance, manipulate-to-all-hell, stuff-with-minds" type of sorcery.