Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Noise Marines and Plague Marines
Old 08 Feb 2008, 19:04   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Noise Marines and Plague Marines

I'm thinking of expanding my chaos army finally, and I was wondering which to get first, Noise marines or Plague marines.

First off, what exactly comes in the Noise marine box? I've been told a few different things, like you get one blast master and one sonic blaster, or one sonic blaster and no blast master etc... so what actually comes in the box?

And secondly, are Plague marines worth it? The extra toughness is nice, but they don't have much ranged, so I am guessing they are CC?

Also, any advice/tips/recommendations would be welcomed... all I have right now is the chaos mega force/army box (the new 4th edition one).

Aose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Feb 2008, 20:21   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Send a message via Yahoo to Lord Cyrus
Default Re: Noise Marines and Plague Marines

if you ask me i would go with the plague marines they may be kinda slow with not much ranged weaponry but they are a great troop choice especially when mounted in rhinos.... trust me my wife plays with death guard(the plague marine legion) and you would not believe how many times i cuss that extra point of toughness and how many new cuss words i have invented thanks to that d*mn feel no pain rule............ but the emporers children(noise marines) are kinda cool esp. if you have read the novel "FULGRIM" and know their fluff.... and i asked a friend he said the noise marine box comes with one(1) each of the sonic weapons being three(3) total....... hope this helps....
Old 08 Feb 2008, 21:02   #3 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aose
First off, what exactly comes in the Noise marine box? I've been told a few different things, like you get one blast master and one sonic blaster, or one sonic blaster and no blast master etc... so what actually comes in the box?
Noise Marines come with one Blastmaster, one sonic blaster and one Doom Siren.

Quote:
And secondly, are Plague marines worth it? The extra toughness is nice, but they don't have much ranged, so I am guessing they are CC?
Yes, they are worth the points. Not only do they have T5, they also have Feel No Pain and also Blight grenades (-1 attack for opponent when they are charging if the plagues are being charged). Their guns may be a little lacking on range, but just strap them up on a Rhino and go out for a spin which will more often than not solve your problems with the range of their guns.

The Plague Marines can withstand alot of punishment and when the moment is right, they can dish out the pain as well. However, they are not exactly that good in CC with all that toughness,FNP and blight grenades as they are more of a close-quarter shooting force that can give any assaulter or shooter a hard time killing them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emlyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT
They're an insane bunch of reptiles...
I wasn't asking about the moderating staff.
crisis_vyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Feb 2008, 22:15   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

That makes sense...I was thinking about getting a squad of both and a rhino...mainly because my ranged seems to be lacking a bit.

As for the noise marines I;m a bit sad, I wasn't going to use the doom siren but I would like another sonic blaster in the squad.

Thanks for the help.

Old 08 Feb 2008, 22:35   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aose
As for the noise marines I;m a bit sad, I wasn't going to use the doom siren but I would like another sonic blaster in the squad.

Thanks for the help.
On the contrary, the Doom siren is best for a Noise Marine Squad in a Rhino.

Alright here is the reason.

Noise Marines are often field in two ways

1)Static firebase

2)Mobile platforms

For the static firebase, it is often found in smaller squads (6 is the right number and also very fluffy) where the entire squad is armed with sonic blasters and a Blastmaster. Their purpose is to just to lend their considerable firepower into the fray, supporting what unit you want to get close to the enemy and dish out the pain.

As for the Mobile platform, they are often found in larger squads in transports(10 tops, but 8 is the right number) where they are there to justdish lots of pain. Here Blastmasters will prove quite redundant as you just want to to be efficient and cheap, and the cost of the Blastmaster really makes things quite expensive. Sonic Blasters are fine here as well, for they can be used in a Slasneshi version of a Fish of Fury .

But generally, Noise Marines in Rhinos have one primary purpose in mind; Close combat.

And here is where the Doom Siren would shine, for your squad now have a nasty flamer that can kill things in droves, and even MEQs. After the assorted flame template, you charge in with the rest of the Noise Marines and since your initiative is usually higher than normal, you will most likely start first.

However, if you want the mobile version, I would suggest that you make it into a solely anti-infantry platform. So Just pump it out with sonic blasters and doom siren. If you want a power fist, it is okay, but the power weapon is the better choice.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT
Old 09 Feb 2008, 08:54   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

plauge marines

a havoc squad with four heavy bolters is generally better(and cheaper) than the noise marines exept in maby the take and hold and loot counters scenarios!

theres nothing in the dark angels codex that cant be done better in the space marine codex
wolfmother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Feb 2008, 10:24   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfmother
plauge marines

a havoc squad with four heavy bolters is generally better(and cheaper) than the noise marines exept in maby the take and hold and loot counters scenarios!
Remember the Blastmaster? It can go from heavy bolter to krak missile with a small blast template and pining. That alone makes them very good as a static firebase. That also means that they are more flexible. Instead of just relying upon anti-infantry firepower, they can also opt for a MEQ-killer and also anti tank. For cheap prize compared to all the cult troops, they get a heavy weapon that hurts. Good bargain if you ask me as compared to the HEavy Bolter Havocs.

For heavy support, the Obliterators are the way to go.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT
Old 10 Feb 2008, 22:29   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I'm currently running an army with nothing but Plague Marines for troops. They have excelent survivability. My one squad went two to toe with big mob of Boyz and won (only becuase the Orks didn't have a PK).
Old 10 Feb 2008, 22:33   #9 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcaor
I'm currently running an army with nothing but Plague Marines for troops. They have excelent survivability. My one squad went two to toe with big mob of Boyz and won (only becuase the Orks didn't have a PK).
Well, my one squad of 8 plague marines with flamer and powerfist wiped out 15 burna boyz and a squad of 20 boyz before they are felled in battle.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT
Old 11 Feb 2008, 00:45   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisis_Vyper
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcaor
Well, my one squad of 8 plague marines with flamer and powerfist wiped out 15 burna boyz and a squad of 20 boyz before they are felled in battle.
Oh, they can get special weapons...ok I think I am going to go with a squad a plague marines in a rhino then...I thought they only have CC weapon and bolter.

BTW, are they metal? or are just parts of the models medal?