Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Bikes vs Raptors
View Poll Results: Which of the two fast attack choices do you prefer?
Bikes 5 25.00%
Raptors 15 75.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06 Feb 2008, 23:57   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Bikes vs Raptors

Having just gotten back into chaos and 40k itself, I decided to go with a unit of 8 bikers for my Khornate army because I still had a couple of bikes lying around from ages ago. But after sifting through some armylists I started to notice that raptors seem far more popular, especially in Khornate armies. This came as a surprise to me because in the relativly few games I've played the bikers have really been quite impressive, killing at least as much as their points worth while soaking up massive amounts of fire.

So I decided to start this poll to see everyone elses opinions on these two units. Also, not wanting to be rude, but please don't reply that you would take both as if I could I wouldn't have had to making this poll in the first place :P

(And if this topic has already been discussed, then I'm sorry but I couldn't find it, could someone supply a link to that thread please)
Puppyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Feb 2008, 02:15   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to korik1
Default Re: Bikes vs Raptors

I remembered a topic a while ago that had something to do with this and found it: http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=57436.0 It's not exactly the same topic but it's about tactics with both units. Personally Raptors are my first choice because they have a higher damage output and fit a nice point slot (8 + a P.fist for 200 pts). However, in larger games I would take nurgle bikers because they are just so beefy.

Everyone is normal until you get to know them!

korik1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Feb 2008, 06:43   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I think the main rationale is simply the points cost. You can get three Raptors for two Bikes. Most people will take three separate T4 wounds over two T4(5) wounds + turbo boost.

Icons are another consideration. If you want to completely theme your army, the icons get pretty damn expensive. To get max value out of the icons you want to have more models in the unit. I think this makes Raptors more attractive for all icons, except, perhaps, Icon of Tzeentch (for the potential 2+ Invulnerable save).

I feel that unless you have at least eight models in the unit, and preferably ten, then the Icons other than undivided are not really worthwhile purchases. I rarely see more than 6 Bikers.

Note: I'm not meaning to offend anyone who uses Bikes and Icons, I'm just saying this from a purely competitive point of view. I wouldn't say the difference is so great that you wouldn't choose to use Bikes from a fluff/taste perspective.
Chimerical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Feb 2008, 07:59   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Send a message via MSN to white monkey

I went for raptors myself for a few reasons that are more important in the battles i play.
  • I play cities of death terrain A LOT. So I find I can't move bikers effectively plus jump infantry can fly over terrain whereas bikers take a test to go through it.
  • Everything bikers can take (weapons-wise) raptors can take and more.
  • I icon every unit and to make a biker unit with icon effective I find you need numbers which gets considerably costly when your bikes are as expensive as they are

So my $0.02 are unless your game sizes are large enough to justify splashing out a lot of points on numbers for the bike squads take raptors because they turn out better for their cost and most things bikes can do raptors can do almost as well eg. daemon waves or terminator deliveries.
white monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Feb 2008, 14:50   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Well when i play my friends force he has 5 bikers and no matter what i do i can only kill 1 of them in a match as they are so tough to kill!! Orks rule by the way!!

If you want a sig like this give, Hadhfang a PM http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn162/Ushar1/Orkwarrior-1.jpg[/img]
OrkWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Feb 2008, 19:16   #6 (permalink)
Ethereal

Well, for me I tend to use both elements somehow but generally it depends on what the mode of movement is latched upon.

For a Lord or a sorcerer, I say a biker is always better.For the normal things Raptors are generally better as they are very lean for what they do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emlyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT
They're an insane bunch of reptiles...
I wasn't asking about the moderating staff.
crisis_vyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Feb 2008, 08:08   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I like them both equally on the field as far as effectiveness goes. However, 2 things ruin bikes for me.

-Worse models than Raptors (or even just converted CSM w/ jump packs)
-Way too expensive monetarily

Thus, I can and will run a biker lord, you'll never see bikes as a unit in my army.
Old 08 Feb 2008, 08:26   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Crisis makes a good point about the Lord/Sorcerer. In that case I probably would go for the bike. It basically gives you an extra Toughness for half the price of the MoN.

Unfortunately I couldn't be bothered making that conversion for my sorcerer, and the metal sorcerers (plus wings) just look too cool to pass up.
Chimerical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Feb 2008, 04:49   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I think I'm now thoroughly convinced that raptors are 26 kinds of awesome! I think I'll keep my bikes as they are now (A delivery service for my lord, just as my lord is the lightning claws delivery service for my bikes) but I'll definitely get some raptors when I expand to 2000pts. They're cheaper than a khornate unit in a rhino as well.

Thanx for the replies guys.
Puppyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Feb 2008, 08:48   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

i voted raptors but it really depends on mark!

nurgle nd tzeench for bikers t6 and a 2+invunerable turbo boost!

and khorne and slanesh for raptors!

theres nothing in the dark angels codex that cant be done better in the space marine codex
wolfmother is offline   Reply With Quote