Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Chaos Terminators, v.4th Edition
Old 29 Jan 2008, 14:59   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX
Default Chaos Terminators, v.4th Edition

[size=14pt]By Inquisitorial Mandate! Chaos Terminators, v.4th Ed. Report #MLVX3982.3[/size]
[size=7pt]Brought to you by your friendly retired tainted Inquisitor Lord, MalVeauX.[/size]

For a long time, the Chaos Terminators were largely over shadowed by other options because they were just too expensive and uncared for by GW with old models, old weapons, and lots of conflicting rules that were confusing (like Rapid Fire on a Terminator, small bases, etc). The 4th edition codex however has really changed things up. No longer are we having to fool with confusing Chosen rules. We now have a beautiful entry that is simple looking, but it is seething with power very subtly. So this report is to bring to light why Terminators are actually worth fielding. Even multiple squads. You heard me right. Multiple squads of Terminators! It's time to unleash the power.

The Change.

Looking at the cost of the Terminators, you'll notice they're incredibly cheaper than before. They're even cheaper than Space Marine Terminators. The reason is simply because they don't come with power fists, but instead, power weapons. This is a good thing though. Why let someone beat on you first when you don't need the extra STR to kill them? You can get a power fist, or as many as you want in there too of course, but you do not need a full squad of power fists. One or two is perfectly fine. So for the cost reduction, we get extremely efficient models compared to before. So for our first `seething with power' moment, that hiss sound, the cheap cost of a unit of Terminators is our first stopping point. 6 Terminators for 180 points? Yes please.

If you look at the profiles, you'll notice we have a lovely line of stats. We can alter it with Icons. But we can also do something else: we can upgrade each Terminator to a Champion which essentially gives us an extra attack which can then be stacked with an Icon, such as Khorne's, for a profile with 4 base attacks on it. With that increase of attacks, it brings us up over a Space Marine terminator squad quickly, for virtually the same cost (not including the Icon, just the Champion upgrades). But this is not needed. It's just an option for larger games to get even more out of your Terminators in assault, where they belong largely.

You have plenty of weapon upgrades. They all cost points though. We do not need the lighting claws. We do not need a bunch of power fists. You should largely hang on to your stock power weapons. They're fast. If you need increased power, lighting claws are better since you retain your initiative with them and the Pair of Lighting Claws option is very good as it increases your attack number profile (the single Claw does not of course) and you'll notice they both cost the same for that upgrade. You don't need your bolter, so clearly, the Pair of Claws is the better option there since you're going for more assault by going to the Lighting Claw in the first place. It's wise to take at least one Power Fist still. You will notice you have a squad-wide combi-weapon upgrade. We had this before, and it was largely just a waste, but we will touch on this as this is a `seething with power' point that is worth talking about separately. The idea of small squads with Reaper Autocannons is out. In fact, I would not recommend you even bother with the Reaper Autocannon anymore. You can only get 2 with a large 10 man unit, which clearly is not worth having if you're shooting. Take Marines if you want guns. Terminators are for terminating. The Heavy Flamer on the other hand is a great upgrade to take, if not just for one additional weapon, due to it's very low cost, for a big increase in horde thinning power.

Icons are another big change instead of marks of Chaos. We don't need much since we're already highly efficient for our cost. Adding an Icon is just adding baggage points. But, some are worth while. Namely I would look at the Slaneesh Icon, because initiative is always useful. The Khorne Icon is nice for the attacks at a good price, adding that many extra attacks instead of one additional model is not a bad trade off at all. The Nurgle Icon is of course good too, but you already have 2+ saves, so I would not stress this one much. The Tzeentch mark increases your Invulnerable save to a 4+. This is worth mentioning because it gives you some more durability against enemy specialty combat units that normally would walk through you. It also makes you much more resistant to the AP2 weapons. Consider this icon if you usually see your Terminators being shot to death too quickly. Do not use it for combat-only defenisve measures though, because number of attacks will still beat out a 4+ inv. Save. Use this Icon for durability in the shooting phase. Note that Icons can be lost if you lose the model with the Icon. So take care in buying them because they are not permanent. Overall, I recommend you avoid Icons on the Terminators due to the small squad size and it takes away from their point cost efficiency.

Icons.

Icons are available all over your army and Terminators can deep strike to them without scattering. This is a handy way to get them closer to the fight and only having to suffer one shooting phase, instead of several before being able to assault. You can choose to deep strike within 6” of an icon and not scatter. This is perfect so that even if your Icon is already in assault, you have plenty of room to place your Terminators. Clearly though, large units are not good for deep striking, while smaller units of 6 or less are fine for it. Remember that when deep striking, you place one model, and then the others form a circle in base to base around that single model. 6 models are ideal for placement because 5 of the models will snuggly fit around the central model leaving a space on one side so that you can more safely land near enemy models and keep that 1” space you need. This will be useful for setting up devastating shooting phases, followed by nasty assault phases—we will discuss this later though.

Deep Strike.

Here we take another stop for a `seething with power' moment. Deep striking in 4th edition has some different rules than the other editions. We place a single model for deep strike. Scatter. Then place other models in rings around that single model we placed. We use this to our advantage to gain additional space to place models. This is a huge help for deep strike since we do not want to lose models while deep striking due to hitting enemy models or not having space to place models thus destroying them. When dropping your single model within 6” of an icon to prevent scatter, that's all you need to do to take advantage of the deep strike rules. So long as your placed single model is within 6” of the icon, the unit will not scatter. Now place your other models around this central model you placed as normal, in a circle—but start on his flanks and place models behind him, away from the Icon. Your entire unit does not have to be within 6” of the Icon. Only the original placed model that is placed for scatter must be within 6” of that Icon. This is the `seething with power' moment. This is to allow you to gain more space, without squeezing in too tight to your Icons.

Combi-Weapons.

Here is the final `seething with power' point to talk about. We had the combi-weapons before, but now we have a reason to bother with them. We have an already very cheap unit that can reliably deep strike to Icons in your force. Before, combi-weapons were costly for very little gain since we were already expensive. Now we can take combi-weapons and still be cheaper than a standard Space Marine terminator. That is power. We have three options: flamer, melta and plasma. Clearly, you want Combi-Plasma. When you deep strike, you can fire. You can fire only once with the combi part of your weapon, but you are only going to get one chance anyways since you will be in assault afterwards, and the Plasma is fine to use since you can't assault after deep striking either, so the Rapid Fire nature of the weapon is not a penalty to you that turn you deep strike. Also, over heating plasma is much less dangerous to terminators due to their 2+ save so that they can easily keep firing without worrying about nuking your own models—and you will over heat a lot with this unit because you will have an entire squad of Plasma to fire with.

Each model can get a combi-plasma. Note the cost. It's worth it. 6 Terminators, each with Combi-plasma, will have 12 x 12” rapid-fire shots to deliver. This is extremely powerful. 12 shots folks. To give you an idea, that's the equivalent of killing 6.6 enemy MEQs on average within 12”. That's an entire squad almost. Burned to the ground. The same average is held against all other infantry types. Against T6 monstrous creatures, you average 5.3 wounds. That's a dead monstrous creature. And against the mighty Wraithlord, you average 2.6 wounds, which means you could nearly kill it on average with your volley of shooting. That's very powerful if you consider how many points you spend to get this extra option on top of your already efficient Terminators. They terminate a target with this plasma. The cost? A unit of 6 to get that option spend so little points to get it, that it's the equivalent of taking a 7th terminator, point wise. That's a `seething with power' moment if I've ever seen one. You can also burn down vehicles with this, especially Skimmers.

Take Combi-plasma. It's devastating and it's extremely cheap. This is power.

Combining the Power.

Using 6 man squads of Terminators with Combi-Plasma, you can identify threat zones. These zones are created by the 6” and 12” bubbles around the models. Dropping the unit within 6” of the Icon gives you a lot of wriggle room to figure out a place to set all the models. Again, one model is placed within 6” to determine scatter (or in our case, it's an Icon, so no scatter). You then place the other models around this central model in a circle—they do not have to be within 6” of the icon. They now have a 12” range for rapid-fire, which you want to take advantage of for all the shots possible. You could get more range, but ultimately you want to use all the shots you can since you can only do it once as per the nature of Combi-Weapons. That same 12” threat zone around the Terminators is also their melee threat range for the following turn, so note the range you measure when you fire your Plasma. You can move 6” and assault 6” next turn, and that will be the same possible range as your Rapid-fire the turn you deep strike. This is a good measure to use to know where you can assault without wasting your movement.

-- Go forth and let the Galaxy burn.

Cheers,
Old 29 Jan 2008, 15:06   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to ForbiddenKnowledge
Default Re: Chaos Termiantors, v.4th Edition

That was an absolutely godly article, Mal. Suddenly, Chaos Terminators are looking like an Alpha target when I use my Tau, instead of usually ignored. I had no idea how nasty they were under the new rules, and so they should be!

Hmmm, at the risk of sprouting a tentacle or two, I wants a squad. Might have to redo my Night Lords....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim.
Rafe is damn sexy once he gets into his night attire.
ForbiddenKnowledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Jan 2008, 15:21   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe
Might have to redo my Night Lords....
Raptors with an Icon are one of the perfect units for delivering a plasma strike. They have plasma. They have jump packs. They have an icon option for cheap (glory or slaneesh). And they're dirt cheap models as it is (come on, they're cheaper than all but the base troopers... they're begging us to use Raptors). So Raptors & Terminators... oh yes, a dirty nasty burn 'em all Night Lord wet dream.

Cheers,
Old 29 Jan 2008, 17:05   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Yeah, I got excited about the potential of the combi-plasma at first, but I sobered up a bit when I noticed that p. 83 of Codex states:

"The extra weapon carries limited ammunition, allowing the weapon a single shot..."
Chimerical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Jan 2008, 17:13   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimerical
Yeah, I got excited about the potential of the combi-plasma at first, but I sobered up a bit when I noticed that p. 83 of Codex states:

"The extra weapon carries limited ammunition, allowing the weapon a single shot..."
You're quoting `flavor' text. The rule is the last part of the paragraph:

" A model armed with a combi-weapon (...) may choose to fire either the bolter or the other weapon. The bolter may be fired every turn, but the other weapon may only be used once per battle."

You can indeed rapid-fire the plasma, you're simply limited to doing it once per battle.

Cheers,
Old 29 Jan 2008, 19:26   #6 (permalink)
Ethereal

Well, This article would go perfectly with an article I have written some time ago in this Forum.

Combi-Weapons on Terminators

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emlyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT
They're an insane bunch of reptiles...
I wasn't asking about the moderating staff.
crisis_vyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Jan 2008, 20:17   #7 (permalink)
Aun
Shas'El

Ah nostalgia. I remember reading your article on 3'd edition terminators. I eagerly await the chance to unleash the hailstorm of plasma a Chaos Termie squad can send out, I’ve just had a hard time incorporating them into my army. But in the next 2000+ point game I will give them a go.
Old 29 Jan 2008, 20:49   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to korik1

Damnit. This is making not spending university money on warhammer (especially since I still have a shit load of models to make/paint) damn hard. Compounded with this great article I've always wanted to field termies. Arg. My wallet. It weeps.

Everyone is normal until you get to know them!

korik1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jan 2008, 02:56   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Surely they would not leave such an obvious tension between two adjacent sentences of 'flavour' and rule? I had read it as saying that you get a single shot once per game, and if an opponent said that I could only have a single shot, I think the entry on p83 would make it pretty hard to argue against them. Can you say with complete confidence that the 'single shot' part is just 'flavour'?

Just out of interest, how are people going about modeling their combi-plasmas?
Chimerical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jan 2008, 03:01   #10 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimerical
Just out of interest, how are people going about modeling their combi-plasmas?
If you have enough Plasma pistols, you can cut them apart and just glue them on a Combi Bolter or Storm Bolter (For those who like to use the Loyalist Termies as their Renegades), and you have instant Combi-Plasmagun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emlyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT
They're an insane bunch of reptiles...
I wasn't asking about the moderating staff.
crisis_vyper is offline   Reply With Quote