Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Nurgle vs. Gork and Mork
Old 17 Jan 2008, 19:47   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Nurgle vs. Gork and Mork

Okay so my friend has gotten the new ork codex. He's updating his list a bunch, and i intend to challenge him with my new The Purge army. I rely on several squads of Plague Marines, and he has several squads of boys. The boys aren't much of a problem, but his nobs with power claws are.

What are the general tactics of fighting a infantry based Ork army with Nurgle? any help is appreciated.
Old 18 Jan 2008, 01:31   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Nurgle vs. Gork and Mork

I would figure having your HQ's use Nurgle's Rot I think its called, all models withing 6" of the user takes a STR 3 blow AP- Works really well if you can run right into a squad. That all I can think of other then Vindicators to spam Templates.
ct_drummer_boi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Jan 2008, 02:14   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

I'd suggest a Havoc squad or two with flamers- thins out the hordes of boyz and nobz wonderfully. Of course, I'd also take as many flamers in other squads as you can. Heavy bolters are also excellent for punching da boyz off their feet.

I'd avoid close combat, as the "new" Orks can get a Furious Charge off- S5 makes a mess of Plague Marines, though at least you'll still get your Feel No Pain...

[br]

[br]
Deneris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Jan 2008, 03:16   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

On your plague marine squads, swap out your plasma guns for flamers.

Rhinos get combi flamers, terminators get heavy flamers

Obliterators are, as always, excellent.

The nurgly psyker power actually does ok vs. Orks.

Maintain CC formation unless he is shooting pie plates and you are in the open. You can't win vs. orks on the rapid fire alone, you also need to get your kills in before they swing.

The key is to be the one who sets the pace on the charges. Since you can afford to receive charges (blight grenades) you control the pacing. He has to make sure you can't walk backwards and keep punishing him with oblits, so he will rush right up. If you are careful, you will get to walk forward, rapid fire/flame him, and then assume charge receiving formation.

Orks Hate Cover. Stormboys want to land > half in cover...but then if they lose one or two to their jump packs they lose the save. Cover makes them go last, even against plague marines, as they certainly don't have any stickbombs. They don't have move through cover, so the possibility exists that they will lose the charge. Finally, they rely on pie plates to deter you from assuming CC formation. Cover saves help out a lot with those.
Old 18 Jan 2008, 05:50   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Speaking of flamers, you also could try a squad of Chosen with a full arsenal of five of 'em. That might actually be overkill, but it'd be absolutely disgusting against infantry.
Aseran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Jan 2008, 11:44   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Personally, I've always been a fan of mass heavy bolters...You don't have to wait until there in your face or your in theres to do some damage : I'm not dissing the flamer or anything, but I would really only use it if you expect to encounter alot of units in cover.
"Strive For Perfection
And Strike With Precision
Soon It Blows Up In Your Face
And The Smoke Blurs Your Vision"
-Mushroomhead

Formerly Andrew "Ender" Wiggen.
Deaths_Face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Jan 2008, 11:46   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Dezart Fox

Flamers? what? like he's going to let you get in range to use them lol, mass heavy bolter fire is my answer!

Dezart Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Jan 2008, 12:32   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timjim
Flamers? what? like he's going to let you get in range to use them lol, mass heavy bolter fire is my answer!
I tried that, then a huge horde (minus a few unlucky bastards) came and swallowed whole my Noise Marines and Havocs. They also attacked from all sides, thanks to "'Ere we go". Next time I'm sticking with flamers...
Originally Posted by Tak'Ukos
Oh God, not that deamnohunters! :P
Who else would fight Choas with Palasma weapons?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Ead
My Shas'O, I picture as an old grizzled war vet. However, he has a bit of a gung-ho streak. Think Sun Tzu meets Yeosemite Sam
Solarius Scorch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Jan 2008, 13:20   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via MSN to Mole

What about auto cannons?

you've got the high strength, a good AP value and multiple shots, you can take down trukks and so forth, and kill many boyz.
Old 19 Jan 2008, 15:29   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mole
What about auto cannons?

you've got the high strength, a good AP value and multiple shots, you can take down trukks and so forth, and kill many boyz.
See above, my Havocs were half-and-half autocannons/heavy bolters...
You just can't get enough heavy weapons here to make a difference. The main issue are nobz' hidden power klaws, which means that decimating a unit to 1/3 of its original size doesn't matter that much. You must cause lots and lots of wounds FAST, or they'll just tear you apart.
Originally Posted by Tak'Ukos
Oh God, not that deamnohunters! :P
Who else would fight Choas with Palasma weapons?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Ead
My Shas'O, I picture as an old grizzled war vet. However, he has a bit of a gung-ho streak. Think Sun Tzu meets Yeosemite Sam
Solarius Scorch is offline   Reply With Quote