Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Chaos Space Marines on mass.
Old 16 Jan 2008, 10:31   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Jeff Send a message via Yahoo to Jeff
Default Chaos Space Marines on mass.

Okay, I'm putting my fallen angels back together with the Chaos codex this time.

Looking into 1500 points. I want it to be fluffy, so that means minimum vehicles. The only ones will be a dread and a rhino.

Now, does an army made of mostly just marines, chosen and havocs fair well?

if not, i'll consider swapping one of my Alpha legion dakka preds to the Fallen.
Old 16 Jan 2008, 17:39   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via MSN to deadnightwarrior
Default Re: Chaos Space Marines on mass.

I regularly field armies of just marines, except from when I play with my Khorne, then I enlist a Rhino to get my guys up the table faster.

I think that, depending on what marines you do chose to take, your army could fair very well. Plus with all of the new weapon options and infiltrate special rule for chosen you wont find yourself slogging across the board the whole game. I would suggest taking a unit of chosen, perhaps loaded with plasma to do some close range damage and draw some fire, while you sit back with units of Havocs loaded with heavy bolters bringing down enemy infantry. You could also give your infiltrated chosen an icon to help deep strike a nasty unit of CC Termies for fun too. :P

I feel that in 1500 pts, you can field marines with enough fire power to cope with most armies and you wouldn't have much need for a Pred. But I'd suggest trying out a few lists with different weapon arrangements and see if it works for you.
Old 16 Jan 2008, 18:26   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

My roommate plays his Iron warriors with tons of standard marines and havocs. He's usually got about 40 marines and anywhere from 15-20 havocs. It's alot of firepower coming my way, especially if he gets dug in. He also fields 3 dakka preds too which add even more shootiness. I'm sure it can work without tanks but having at least one tanks will draw some fire off your havocs. Give the havocs MoN and get them in cover and they will be very hard to take out.
Cadaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Jan 2008, 20:28   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I personally love taking a footslogging army. The only downside is mobility. When equipped right, a footsloggin army can deal with almost anything with little difficulty. The problem is speed. You almost have to have a defensive style of play, or at least a defensive "awareness" I guess. Try and stay a couple turns a head, with fall back options open to you at all times.

In my 500pt loyalist army, I feild 25 Marines. Most armies are not prepared to take on that much power armour either, so you'll have a very solid list in terms of survival. For target priority, I would focus on vehicles, MC's and any jump infantry. With enough heavy weapons evenly distributed, you should deter your opponent from leaving his tanks in the open as well as MC's. Jump Infantry should fall pretty fast to the amount of special weapons and bolter fire coming his way.

There isn't a whole lot of armies that can take on that much power armour! Good luck!
"Strive For Perfection
And Strike With Precision
Soon It Blows Up In Your Face
And The Smoke Blurs Your Vision"
-Mushroomhead

Formerly Andrew "Ender" Wiggen.
Deaths_Face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Jan 2008, 02:02   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Snow
There isn't a whole lot of armies that can take on that much power armour! Good luck!
As a Thousand Sons player, I know ALL about footslogging...lol. My local players no longer take Space Marine armies against my dusty lads- The AP3 bolter makes too much of a mess of them.

I'd recommend taking a few rhinos, especially if you're taking on the Imperial guard- A few Leman Russes/Basilisks can really spoil a footslogger's day.

To go with your "footslogger" theme, why not take a Defiler? Also, Spawn can be a great screen for footsloggers, as they tend to distract the enemy from your marines.

[br]

[br]
Deneris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Jan 2008, 18:03   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Send a message via MSN to weston_2k7

i play a Khorne army and apart from 20 khorne, about 38 marines, 5 possessed, 5 havocs the only tanks i ever take in my 1500pnt army is a defiler cc weapon of-course and maybe a rhino it depends which armies I am playing though. For instance i wouldn't take Rhinos against Nids just wait for them to come to me but against most other armies i would take Rhinos or else your men generally get shot before they see close combat.
weston_2k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Jan 2008, 23:32   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Jeff Send a message via Yahoo to Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deneris
To go with your "footslogger" theme, why not take a Defiler? Also, Spawn can be a great screen for footsloggers, as they tend to distract the enemy from your marines.
Please note that this is for a Fallen Angels army. I'm a player that leans more towards fluff, which in the Fallen's case means no truly chaotic stuff and only minimal armor. I might throw in one more rhino for a squad.

Also, My chosen are 7 men, 1 melta gun, 4 power weapons, mark of tzeentch (represented by combat sheild, the bearer has a standard) and attached is my HQ of a Lord with daemon weapon (Fallen Chaplain with Crozarius), Essentially a termie hunter squad.

I'll write up a list this arvo and post it. See what I can get away with.