Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Restructuring the Word Bearers for the new Codex
Old 12 Jan 2008, 13:52   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Restructuring the Word Bearers for the new Codex

My old Wordbearers army is just not usable with the new 'dex, so I am switch mode and looking at a new list. I'm gutted at losing my fast daemons, they were such fun (and cool models too). Thoughts are (at 1500 pts) to reorganise something like this:

1. HQ - Chaos Sorcerer - iif my Dark Apostle is doing all that prayin' and stuff, dammit he better have some special powers and I can proxy faith powers via psyker powers. Need to think about wargear, have c 65pts to spend

2. Elites - 2 small units of Chosen (6 models), with some close range infiltrating nastiness - some plasma guns and an aspiring champ kitted out for h2h - idea is they bust something expensive and then get into scraps

3. Troops - 2 units of WB CSM, 8 models each, plasma gun

4. Fast Attack - 2 units of 6 Raptors each w/2 plasma pistols

5. Daemons - 5 Lesser Daemons (can't have W/B without Daemons!!)

6. Heavy Support - 2 units of 2 Obliterators

7. Heavy Support - Defiler, 'cos I have the model (maybe 2 more obliterators?)

How are other people organising ther Chaos armies?
Old 12 Jan 2008, 14:41   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Restructuring the Word Bearers for the new Codex

Fear not the loss of daemons, their codex is out in May! Rumours say they won't be officially compatible with the CSM codex, but like hell I'm going to ignore it.

As for the sorcerer, I think the entry is good as it is, and doesn't really need special tooling (especially with good psionic powers cast in the Shooting phase). You may consider wings/steed, but as you are using a finished model, I think it's out of the question. (Unless you model a portable phasing device to represent wings, or something.) If you have just one psionic power, it's up to you what you like (Wind of Chaos is something I like personally), but if you have two to spend, a Warptime is a good choice (it's efficient, and also it is not used in the Shooting phase).

As for the rest of the army, it looks fine with just one issue: you definitely need more than 2 units of CSM. The reason is 1) in the new Codex you generally need more meat to grind, 2) more units mean more Champions (read: more power weapons and power fists), 3) basic CSM I think are better than before (better wargear), and 4) only two Troops choice is generally scowled upon as unfluffy/overpowered.

I also think you need more Daemons. Five Daemons will just get trampled.

Just my two eurocents.
Originally Posted by Tak'Ukos
Oh God, not that deamnohunters! :P
Who else would fight Choas with Palasma weapons?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Ead
My Shas'O, I picture as an old grizzled war vet. However, he has a bit of a gung-ho streak. Think Sun Tzu meets Yeosemite Sam
Solarius Scorch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Jan 2008, 17:54   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solarius Scorch
4) only two Troops choice is generally scowled upon as unfluffy/overpowered.

I also think you need more Daemons. Five Daemons will just get trampled.
Re the 2 troop choices.....I'm rethinking the W/B as akin to the religious knightly orders where the actual Order Brethren were elites, the ordinary knights were lay brothers - ie ordinary CSM.

Re Daemons...true, but I ran out of points.
Old 12 Jan 2008, 20:09   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

dont cry about them changing your army think of all the poor iron warrior players rofl

theres nothing in the dark angels codex that cant be done better in the space marine codex
wolfmother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Jan 2008, 22:44   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Sorc's are good, I ran a close combat sorc (warptime) so I'm not to sure on shooting powers, but the flamer one seems pretty good (better then the turn into spawn one)

Not a fan of plasma's myself (gets hot) they are way better on plague marines then anything else, and chosen are expensive, maybe try meltaguns

Again not a fan of plasma's, but anyway. Are you giving those marines rhino's? On foot I feel they will be shot to pieces (although icon of CG wil lkeep them from running it wont keep them above scoring)

raptors are always nice, maybe drop one unit for more basic marines, cause although raptors get alot of attacks on the charge, its the asp champ that will do the killing

daemons are always fun, yeah they used to be more fun.......anyway if they come in you gotta be careful with them cause they can't move on the turn they were summonded anymore

oblits are very nice, and vwery flexable (although auto cannons would be nice) remember that alot of the single gun options are twin linked (plasma and meltaguns)

defilier is a good pretty model, but it will attract alot of fire power and, well it depends on how good your scatter rolls are, personally I'de go with more oblits, as you can hide them and they are fairly tough
adreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Jan 2008, 11:26   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by adreal

daemons are always fun, yeah they used to be more fun.......anyway if they come in you gotta be careful with them cause they can't move on the turn they were summonded anymore
They can't move in the movement phase, but they CAN move in the assault phase. So with careful Icon usage, they can still move up to 12" the round they show up... A nasty surprise for enemy units.

[br]

[br]
Deneris is offline   Reply With Quote