Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Steel Brethren
Old 11 Jan 2008, 13:10   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Steel Brethren

I was thinking of starting a Steel Brethren army. I bought another dreadnought to convert into a Daemon Prince>, but I am not sure on what would be some other characterful additions. Help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 11 Jan 2008, 15:18   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX
Default Re: Steel Brethren

Heya,

Characterful additions. To start, use marks and psychic powers, because they give you great access to tools, but ignore that they are those and think of them as something else, and rename them to your whim. An example: Mark of Tzeentch? Call it "Power Generator" or something. Bolt of Change? Generator Surge instead. Your LD test isn't a psychic test, instead, it's a generator test to see if it stalls or not on you. That's the kind of stuff I'm talking about. That said, consider the following:

HQs:

Daemon Prince, Mark of Tzeentch, Bolt of Change and/or Doom Bolt (or Wind of Chaos). Model it as a Dreadnought. He's tough and take quite a bit of damage, way more than a dreadnought can take. Mean while, he's got a nice gun, he hits on 2's no matter what when shooting, he's great in melee like a dreadnought, even better in fact, just has less strength, and your wind of chaos is a super flamer, while doom bolt can be like a mini assault gun or modded heavy bolter round, etc. A dreadnought with a 3+ save and 4+ inv save that can't suffer instant death and is a scoring model? Bingo!

-- Oh and you can take two of them, heh heh heh.

Elites:

More Dreadnoughts. Huzzah. Las/Missle is a good way to go. I wouldn't bother with any upgrades.

Troops:

Plague Marines. Model them as Iron though of course. Fell No Pain represents their thick armor plate. Higher T represents that plate too. Give them some melta guns, they like to melt metal. Or plasma, that melts stuff too. Rhino would be nice in a larger game, be it used as mobile terrain or used to transport. Havoc launcher is cheap and gives you another early gun to use.

Fast:

Nothing is truly characteristic here, but raptors are great for their cost. You could easily just take some normal marines and mod some kind of rocket(s) or get some SM jump packs instead of using Raptor models. That way you can preserve the big heavy armor look (raptor models are pretty skimpy looking). Load up on plasma or melta. Or even flamers.

Heavy:

Oh man. Everything. Vindies are good to start. A cheap Pred is good. Leave the Defilers out though, they're going to explode and don't have indirect fire anymore. They're more of a melee thing now anyways. Havocs are smart (heavy bolter love). And Oblits are always, always wonderful to have.

Cheers,
Old 11 Jan 2008, 16:00   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Whoah. Did you just make that up, based on Steel Brethren's Iron Warriors-like appearance, or is there actually some fluff out there for those guys? I thought they were just something made up that got thrown in as a color scheme suggestion in the new codex.

I'm curious; how "common" is it for people to use the different, specialized troop-types (like Plague Marines, Berserkers, etc.) as a statline/unit type only but represents them differently than how they're specifically portrayed? Like how you said here that the Plague Marines could just represent heavy-armor infantry, and it was also suggested to me after I asked a question about Alpha Legion representations that they could simply be designated specially-trained teams rather than as Chaos-blessed pariahs. It's a neat idea, but I get the impression if you go into tournament or even a store-hosted game you'd have people getting all in a snit about how you're "making up rules", not understanding you're only using the stats and point costs to represent something that's not specifically in the codex, and actually abiding by the rules of the unit type.
Aseran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Jan 2008, 16:20   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX

Heya,

I just made it up based on the look and based on the old style of the Iron Warriors.

It's very common to just use whatever rules are present and model/call them whatever you want. It's been this way since 40k was created. It's largely why it's so popular too. People are free to make things unique and be creative, so long as its within the rules, and its legal to use these alternative ways of representing the army on the board at events so long as the models are GW models, anything goes as long as you have WYSIWYG going clear enough.

Exactly, you don't have to have Chaos Marines for Alpha. You could easily just use anything in power armor and call them stealth op teams. Whatever suits you.

You're not making up rules. So long as your models follow the rules and you're using rules in the codex, how you represent them doesn't matter. The only thing that must be satisfied is WYSIWYG. If they're power armored, better have some power armor. Have a bolter? Better have a bolter. WYSIWYG basically is a solid rule that follows common sense. Pitch forks that shoot rockets are not going to work in a tourney/event for example. It should be pretty clear what you've done, or at least very close so that it's not confusing. But that's about it for limitations. Generally the game and events encourage people to go craze and creative. Look at all of GW's Games Days armies. They're converted and all kinds of crazy stuff often times. GW likes to portray it. It's a selling point and a big part of the game and hobby to not just use stock pose models and fluff. Make your own. You're encouraged. It's 100% legal in the game, so long as it's self-made or GW models. Mix and match. Have fun. If someone can't figure something out, well, that's why you're there to show them the codex and show them your unit.

Cheers,
Old 11 Jan 2008, 20:57   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Thanks MalVeaux, this sounds great. I can hardly wait to see how it looks!