Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

What are good Against the False Emporer's Marines????
Old 04 Jan 2008, 18:37   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Send a message via MSN to Deamon Prince 94
Default What are good Against the False Emporer's Marines????

Hey, I'm a new chaos player. I battle Space marines alot and i need to know what is good agoainst them? Have any ideas???

1 Deamon Prince
1 sorcerer
10 Marines
3 Bikes
1 Abandon the Despoiler
5 Corrupted Scouts ( snipers )
8 Corrupted Space Marines
Deamon Prince 94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Jan 2008, 19:01   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Dezart Fox
Default Re: What are good Against the False Emporer's Marines????

Ok, if one more new member puts more than one exclamation mark/question mark after a word I'm going to cry

Isn't really an army you've got there..
and you can't really have 'corrupted scouts' in your chaos army..
Marines are marines, think what would hurt your army and it probably apply yo them too- so low ap weapons, lots of shots, and power weapons.

Dezart Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Jan 2008, 19:10   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deamon Prince 94
Hey, I'm a new chaos player. I battle Space marines alot and i need to know what is good agoainst them? Have any ideas???
Heya,

Depends what you're facing. Vehicle heavy? Infantry heavy? Fast moving due to Jumppack/bikes? Drop Pod marines? Lots of different variations that all are totally different armies to face even though they're all generally classed as "marines."

Basically, there's a generic list of things that will work more or less versus marines:

1 - Weapons that ignore armor saves.
2 - Guns that have AP values that beat most if not all armor saves.
3 - High mobility to balance out our lack of potent ranged weaponry availability and massing.

Essentially, codex wise, that would be units like, but not limited to:

* Daemon Princes & Greater Daemon
* Chosen with Plasmaguns (Power Fist Champ) or Lighting Claws
* Dreadnoughts with Lascannons, Missile Launchers
* Plague Marines with Plasma Guns (Power Fist Champ)
* Noise Marines with a Blast Master & Sonic Blasters
* Raptors with Plasma Guns (Power Fist Champ)
* Defilers with battle cannons and extra combat arms/attacks
* Obliterators with linked Plasma, Lascannons and meltas
* Havocs with mass heavy bolters, plasma or meltas

Cheers,
Old 06 Jan 2008, 23:56   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

try a defiler i find that they work great in fear tactics first nail an entire tactical squad with one blast then have your defiler sit with as large a line of sight you can give it his marines will most likely stay in the shadows more. since you have abbadon(not abandon ) just deepstrike him in anywhere (he should be able to take on half your friends army with little help due to his insane close combat ability and great survivability. ;D with these two great fear factors in his way he will have to rethink strategys and will start to mess up because being pinned between a defiler battlecannoning everything in it's path and abbadon ripping his support to shreds i think it's fairly safe to say that your normal marines wont be getting much attention but load them into rhinos and do some drive by plasma gunning on any terminators he might have.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodiedFangs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargamer
It's like being totally wasted on drugs, only with no side effects.
eg being arrested for licking a police officer's face trying to find out if they really do taste like snozberrys
It's true!
By reading this fine print your soul is now exclusive property of Chaos Master and subsidaries, All Rights reserved >.
http://www.pkbc.net/
chaos_master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Jan 2008, 00:11   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Circus Freak

Thousand Sons. More AP3 than anyone will ever possibly need. Simple =)
Crikey! This crazy clown causes commotion like the coming of Christ. Contained in a circle corrupted by crackheads and carnal cravings, he creates no concession to callous cheaters concentrating on nought but cock. Certainly, still a curious and cordial cavalier in the countenance of crazed cads, curs and creeps who condemn courtesy as something corny. No cloud could collapse his crushing crescendo of comical crowing and crimson coiffure. This conjecture on culture comes circumlocutive, consequently...

You may call me Circus.
Circus Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Jan 2008, 01:23   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circus
Thousand Sons. More AP3 than anyone will ever possibly need. Simple =)
It comes at a price though. A big one.

Cheers,
Old 07 Jan 2008, 10:17   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Circus Freak

True, but if you use them right then normal marines have nothing on you.
Crikey! This crazy clown causes commotion like the coming of Christ. Contained in a circle corrupted by crackheads and carnal cravings, he creates no concession to callous cheaters concentrating on nought but cock. Certainly, still a curious and cordial cavalier in the countenance of crazed cads, curs and creeps who condemn courtesy as something corny. No cloud could collapse his crushing crescendo of comical crowing and crimson coiffure. This conjecture on culture comes circumlocutive, consequently...

You may call me Circus.
Circus Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Jan 2008, 11:16   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Simple - Plague Marines. Use them in units of 7+. With the exceptions of Lascannons, Krak Missiles, and Meltas; you're pretty much impervious to anything the Tactical Squads can dish out. Admittedly, against a good (and / or cheesy Space Marine player), you're going to face lots of heavy fire. However, use terrain wisely and get your Plague Marines close enough to charge. In close combat, these guys are terrific. Whether you're charging (especially into cover) or being charged, you're still going to be able to dish out a ton of attacks and withstand a lot of punishment.

As Mal said - powerfist & plasma guns are the best loadout.

Best of luck,
Em
Farseer_Emlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Jan 2008, 12:05   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circus
True, but if you use them right then normal marines have nothing on you.
Even then, it's not entirely possible to always use them right. They still die. And they're not mobile without a Rhino. And Rhino is simply way more easy to destroy than basically anything else you put on the field, or worse, simply stall it out and keep those 1k Sons stuck. Inferno bolts are without a doubt powerful, AP3 speaks for itself, but you can't just assume that using them right will win the day. They're very expensive and you can't get that many. They're not mobile what so ever without transport and transport is 100% deniable starting turn one. From there, you're walking a variable between 1 and 6 inches and you have rapidfire. A transportable unit breaks 250+ points for just 6 models. If you're transporting you might as well get 8 or more models in there. You just broke 300 points. That's just one unit. They'll do damage if you get them in rapid fire range. But if you can't do that, you're in trouble.

A large squad of them are very, very potent against enemy armor. Even walking, due to slow & purposeful with their bolters. But their true value does not actually show unless you're in rapid fire range.

Ultimately a squad of plague marines do less damage, for slightly less points, but are more mobile and heartier which allows them to stick around longer and do more damage.

Then again, both are two very different tools. I wouldn't take 1k Sons up against Tyranid for example when Plague Marines will last a lot longer and do more damage. Nor against monstrous creatures. But up against a Marine force that is largely on foot or jumppack (Drop Pods too) or Grey Knights for example, or Sisters of Battle? The 1k Sons are definitely a nice unit to have. Especially since they're a troop and do something that is along the lines of what most elites hope to be.

Cheers,
Old 07 Jan 2008, 14:58   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

There's no doubt that TS marines are good at killing power armored models. But as MalVeaux said, they are expensive. Here's a quick breakdown for you as far as expected wounds out of a unit:

I run my TS in units of 8 (7 Rubrics + a Aspiring Sorcerer):

7 Rubrics + Sorcerer w/BOC firing at 24" = 2.88 unsaved wounds against MEQ (slightly less, because I didn't calculate in the chance that the sorcerer would fail his psychic test)

For slightly less than the cost of the unit above, I could have:

15 loyalist bolter marines + 1 heavy bolter marine firing at 24" = 2 unsaved wounds against MEQ (If you include a plasma gunner by dropping one marine, this jumps to 2.44.)

OR

20 Fire Warriors firing at 30" = 2.22 unsaved wounds against MEQ (This assumes Fire Warriors are 12 pts. each, I can't remember if they are.)

If we bring the equation closer, to within 18", I could give the sorcerer Doombolt:

7 Rubrics + Sorcerer w/Doombolt firing at 18" = 3.33 unsaved wounds against MEQ (Again, slightly less, because I didn't calculate in the chance that the sorcerer would fail his psychic test)

(The marine squad and Fire Warrior squad both drop by one model in order to maintain equivalent cost, so their expected results drop to 1.99 and 2.11 MEQ wounds, respectively)

As you can see, the Thousand Sons marines are pretty good against power armored foes, but not that good. And if they reach rapid fire range, they can put a sizeable dent in any power armored squad.