Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Which Cult Unit do you favour?
View Poll Results: Which Cult Unit do you favour?
Khorne Berzerkers 15 29.41%
Plague Marines 17 33.33%
Noise Marines 9 17.65%
Rubric Marines 10 19.61%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09 Nov 2007, 18:10   #1 (permalink)
Anton

Default Which Cult Unit do you favour?

Heya,

Now that we've had the new Codex for a while now, I thought a poll like this would be intresting to run. Please note that this isn't a "OMFG1!@1WITCH IZ DA BEZT LOLROFL1S"12!!" type poll, the aim of this is to find out who likes what Cult Troop any why. Remember, if you decide to reply please make it longer than 1 sentence, it's not that hard.

[Note: Each voter has 4 votes each, in-case you take all 4 Cult Units.]

Anyway, I voted for Noise Marines. I just love them! ;D

In my 1000pts Slaanesh Warband I field a single 10 man Noise Marine Squad, with 8 Sonic Blaster armed Noise Marines, one Noise Marine with a Blastmaster and a Noise Champion with a Sonic Blaster and Power Weapon. If I fired all of the Sonic Blasters on the Heavy 3 frequency I would basically get 27 Storm Bolter shots! Brilliant! Bye-Bye G.E.q's! I could even whack a few of M.E.q's with that salvo! Then if I fire the Blastmaster, I could either use the Assault 2 Heavy Bolter frequency or that amazing S8 AP3 blast shot. Either way, these guys live and breathe death!

I like Noise Marines primarily because of their fantastic flexibility, and as they have the same equipment as regular Chaos Space Marines, they can even make their mark in the assault phase! However, Noise Marines aren't cheap, especially if you give them sonic weaponry, a 10 man Noise Marine squad with Sonic Blasters will set you back almost 300pts! But, they are points well spent.

So, what's your favoured Cult Unit and why?
Old 09 Nov 2007, 20:14   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: Which Cult Unit do you favour?

Rubric Marines, Just becuase I really like the background fluff, and using the now old codex, they were very good, especially with all the Champions being Sorcerors.

Khorne Beserkers, because they serve Khorne, and becuase who doesnt love a bunch of screaming madmen with Chainaxes and a thirst for blood?

And the Plague Marines, becuase i like the sort of WW1 style pipy things in their helmets, and i am fascinated by lots of plagues and things like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minako
The female race really is disgusting.

Tomo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Nov 2007, 20:23   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I like Plague Marines for many reasons.

For one, they are the only cult with accsess to not only the classic assault weapons, but also more than one. This lets me take them in units smaller than ten, which is always nice. They also have blight grenades which go a very long way towards making their initiative 3, their only real weakness, not so bad. Combine that with frag grenades, krak grenades, Bolters, Bolt Pistols, close combat weapons and a Powerfist and you have one deadly and flexible close range unit.

There is also the fact that they are without a doubt the toughest troops choice in the game now. With toughness that high and feel no pain you can walk through small arms fire like it wasn't even there; You even make Plasma wounds go away half the time, and better than half if you are in cover. Speaking of cover, put Plague Marines inside 4+ cover on the objective and see how long it takes to dig them out. This extra toughness as well as fearlessness makes the Icon of Nurgle a bust for me in the troops department. Give me the real deal any day!

And finally... its the fact that they are more or less undead marines. They cannot and will not truly ever die. And even in being destroyed momentarily. the diseases on the Plague Marine's dead husk should be enough to completely decimate a Guard regiment.

Old 09 Nov 2007, 20:41   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Anton,

Well done! This is the kind of poll that is an asset rather than a liability. So onto the question so I don't hippocritically spam this poll. : I voted for Noise Marines and Plague Marines.
Noise marines are an old favorite of mine, and still remain the most flexible of the cult troops. They lay down ridiculous firepower at long range, and still benefit from a combination of BP and CCW that strike before the lions-share of other races in CC. Their Flame-Template weapon is the bane of MEQ's everywhere, and makes a great partner for a blastmaster fired on the move. They are powerful, fearless, and (lets face it) shiny! They are not really affected negatively by the lack of a transport, but take to a rhino like the proverbial ducks to water; and can even be used to effectively assault out of a Land Raider at pointblank range AFTER firing for effectfrom 1" away and leaving a tiny fraction of the targeted squad to be finished off by Chainsword and good old Size 25 power-boot.
Now you may ask: Why did Ged vote for Plague Marines? He doesn't even use them! Because quite simply they are one of the best buys for their points cost in our Codex. On the defence: Their high toughness and blight grenades make them quite implacable. On the offense: Their ability to take twin special weapons at less than 10 models, combined with either a transport, or ninja-esque movement makes them utterly deadly. Charging into them with anything less than terminators is asking to have your squad stuck-in for the entire game, or at least until their power weapon/fist champ thins you out enough that they simply crush you. Considering that they have a relatively low cost for Cult troops, they get all of this for a steal! I may not use them, but I DO respect the followers of Nurgle. (Now if they'd just stop with the granting of STDs to my Pleasure Worshippers, all would be well... > )

Good times,
Ged

[glow=purple,2,300]Speaker for the Keeper of Secrets - The Cult of Slannesh[/glow]

-Craftworld Paragon's Rune Sign
GedofParagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Nov 2007, 22:52   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeH
I like Plague Marines for many reasons.

For one, they are the only cult with accsess to not only the classic assault weapons, but also more than one. This lets me take them in units smaller than ten, which is always nice. They also have blight grenades which go a very long way towards making their initiative 3, their only real weakness, not so bad. Combine that with frag grenades, krak grenades, Bolters, Bolt Pistols, close combat weapons and a Powerfist and you have one deadly and flexible close range unit.

There is also the fact that they are without a doubt the toughest troops choice in the game now. With toughness that high and feel no pain you can walk through small arms fire like it wasn't even there; You even make Plasma wounds go away half the time, and better than half if you are in cover. Speaking of cover, put Plague Marines inside 4+ cover on the objective and see how long it takes to dig them out. This extra toughness as well as fearlessness makes the Icon of Nurgle a bust for me in the troops department. Give me the real deal any day!

And finally... its the fact that they are more or less undead marines. They cannot and will not truly ever die. And even in being destroyed momentarily. the diseases on the Plague Marine's dead husk should be enough to completely decimate a Guard regiment.
This is basically what i was going to put! I just love the fluff for Death guard.

I use my plague marines in 8 man squads with 2 plasma's and a power fist for the champ. Put them in a rhino and move it towards your opponent, dismount in rapid fire range and pump out 4 plasma shots and 12 bolter rounds in one turn (Now that hurts). You don't have to worry about overheats too much as you will need 6 of them to kill a single plague marine (on average). The only way to shift them quickly is ordnance (use your rhino 2 block their line of sight) or by charging them with a elite assalt unit toting lots of power weapons.
Sardis Varrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Nov 2007, 23:01   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Noise and Rubric marines are my favorites. I simply love each of their respected fluff and their rules are great. Sonic weaponry is awesome for people who absolutely love music like me and who doesn't like Inferno Bolts? Sadly I would have to say that Khorne is my least favorite, probably for the same reason that I wasn't too keen on any of the Saw movies. I really don't like mindless killing and favor more of a... delicate killing. Nurgle is third on the list simply because every time I see a well painted Nurgle army, I feel the strange urge to puke. I guess thats the point but still, did ya have to make them that disgusting?
Warsmith Tyranus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Nov 2007, 00:32   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

You know. I thought the Thousand Sons would impress me the most in this new codex, but that title goes to the plague marines. In the early IA articles I probably liked their fluff the most. The ksons and the noise marines didn't really interest me and the Sparticus wannabe story of Angron actually made me roll my eyes a bit, but the practices of the death guard were so intertwined with the experiences of Mortarion, and to me that made their fluff stand head and shoulders above the rest.

That the new codex really made the plague marines into the rock-hard immovable objects that fluff always made them out to be is why they're actually holding the #1 spot for me at the moment. Even though I've always been more of a fan of Khorne's bloodthirsty mentality
I'd hate to get on his bad side... >
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiwaz
Fishy has just proved to me that Canadians CAN be scary...
Fish Ead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Nov 2007, 00:38   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

everything but noise marines why is because i think there pansys for painting there armor pink that and the fact i just dont like them...
Khorne because theve always been there for me *sniff*
plauge marines because there just pwnage in the new codex fnp and 3+ save ftw
rubrics cause of ap3 bolters...thats just awesome
Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodiedFangs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargamer
It's like being totally wasted on drugs, only with no side effects.
eg being arrested for licking a police officer's face trying to find out if they really do taste like snozberrys
It's true!
By reading this fine print your soul is now exclusive property of Chaos Master and subsidaries, All Rights reserved >.
http://www.pkbc.net/
chaos_master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Nov 2007, 01:08   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Jeff Send a message via Yahoo to Jeff

Berserkers, simple because I love the whole story of them, the fact that although blood thirsty are hardy and tactical.

In game, if they can get to combat even without a charge they are nasty pieces of work. The new Khorne daemon weapon is great! (if only they still had the books of chaos though)
Old 10 Nov 2007, 15:47   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

I have to go with the Plague and Rubics marines. The Plague can take a hit, and keep going as well as look like Zombies(part of my fluff for my prince hateing all liveing Humans) and rubics are also hard to kill, and who can argue with Strenght 5 AP3 bolters, they make me want to find Tzeech and hug him, and they are also undeadish, and fit my theame.
Nailo is offline   Reply With Quote