Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

My thoughts
Old 15 Sep 2007, 19:46   #1 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default My thoughts

I've had my hands on my copy of the Chaos codex for a few hours now, and my initial thoughts weren't as bad as I thought they were going to be. Anyway, time for me to give you guys the run down on what I think about the new Codex (compared to the old one).

Stuff I like about it:
  • Fluff (theres tonnes of it this time around)
  • Possibility of multiple Lords
  • Layout (cleaner, easier to read and not overly dark like the old one was)
  • Alternate colors schemes (there are certainly some nice alternate color schemes for rogue chapters)
  • Vindicator is now a valid option
  • Defiler rules (with the possibility of 5 attacks, 6 on the charge)
  • Random nature of the possessed[sup]1[/sup]
  • The way Daemons are currently[sup]2[/sup]

Stuff I loath about it:
  • Over simplification of unit champions. (Three weapon options for champions is far too simplistic - and therefore would lead me to have to remodel 50% of my unit champions because they had over weapons, lightning claws etc)
  • Decrease in Defiler's strength (from 8 in the old down to +2 to normal Space Marine strength).
  • Random nature of the possessed[sup]1[/sup]
  • The fact that Possessed don't have infiltrate even though their new fluff would indicate overwise
  • Dreadnoughts are now Elites! Elites! Which now means my Khorne are up the creak without a paddle if I want to field Possessed and Terminators (due to the fact my two existing Dreadnoughts are part of the fluff for the army and are one of the trademarks of it - it just wouldn't be Arnell without his sidekick Morbid beside him)
  • The way Daemons are currently[sup]2[/sup]
  • The front cover art, I hate it and always will! (personal taste though)
  • Juggernauts have been down played (I will miss the +1 Wound the old Jugger gave :'()
  • Nurgle's rot is a psychic power! A bloody psychic power! And it's tripled it cost for the same rules!
  • Daemonically possessed Dreadnoughts have gone!
  • A number of vehicle upgrades have gone (mutated hull, parasitic possession amongst others)

[sup]1[/sup] Possessed do have some nice abilities, but I would feel robbed if I only got the scouts rule...
[sup]2[/sup] I'm not overly fussed about Daemons since they have been down played in abilities but I'm neutral due to the fact that I don't field daemons myself so I had to put it in both camps

And feel free to add your own thoughts on the new Chaos codex .
FTyross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Sep 2007, 19:51   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Re: My thoughts

Oh yeah Nurgles rot is totally wortless now. I can never see myself taking it. The only reason I would ever field a Psycher in a Nurgle themed army would be for the force weapon. I would probably just give him Warp Time.

I personally am still torn on the Defiler. 6 Attacks good, Fleet good. Lower Str bad, Subpar marine WS bad.
orcspit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Sep 2007, 20:03   #3 (permalink)
Ethereal

Well if it'll seal the deal with the defiler, it has a pie plate still so you can always drop shells as you advance and use the added speed for when you need to close quickly
Old 15 Sep 2007, 21:22   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

The Defilers can't indirect fire anymore but have the fleet rule do you think that this is a good idea?
NightLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Sep 2007, 23:29   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal

Depends upon the situation you find yourself in and/or the other options you take. If you've chosen the assault based options, then fleeting may be more to your advantage, but if you've got a more shooty one, then you've got more options in the shooting phase (fleeting, shooting ordinary weapons, shooting ordnance). In such cases, estimate the likliness of you causing the most casualties (via shooting or an ord. blast) and pick that option. However, fleet can be used to get into combat if your stuck out in now where (i.e. fleet and then charge) and your likely to be blown to bits in combat (last time I checked you can't hit a walker in combat via shooting )
Old 16 Sep 2007, 07:30   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Defilers have dreadnought ccws. their strength is doubled.
Old 16 Sep 2007, 14:39   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Hey yeah I was also really pissed off about the juggernaut! It's an utter-ripoff!

I mean, the steeds of slaanesh and tzeentch essentially get what they pay - increased speed for the price of a jump-pack and an extra attack for the price of the MoK.

Whereas instead of speed, the juggernaut gives you... +1 strength. Yeah. And then to rub it in, you can't put it in transports, which is presumably where you mostly want your bezerker troops from now. So what are you supposed to do with him? Just waltz him alone up to enemy lines? I mean compare MoK lord with Juggernaut to the statline of a Prince with Wings (exact same price, BTW). The Prince is a total no brainer there. And it's such a shame cause the Juggernaut is such a cool, fluffy model, but there's just no good reason to field it.
Chimerical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Sep 2007, 14:54   #8 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeH
Defilers have dreadnought ccws. their strength is doubled.
Must of been the options that made me think that. It probably misled me because it states you may upgrade the reaper autocannons to "close combat weapons" which leads me to believe (no mention of Dreadnought close combat weapons in those options). Which either leads me to believe you get 3 S10 attacks and 2 normal S6 attacks (after taking two close combat weapons) or is it 5 S10 attacks...

Just one of a long list of things I don't understand about the options in the new codex...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimerical
Whereas instead of speed, the juggernaut gives you... +1 strength. Yeah. And then to rub it in, you can't put it in transports, which is presumably where you mostly want your bezerker troops from now. So what are you supposed to do with him? Just waltz him alone up to enemy lines? I mean compare MoK lord with Juggernaut to the statline of a Prince with Wings (exact same price, BTW). The Prince is a total no brainer there. And it's such a shame cause the Juggernaut is such a cool, fluffy model, but there's just no good reason to field it.
I agree, although a daemon prince can't have a daemon weapon (which is really, really against the fluff - if anything the daemon princes would of had the daemon weapons over the normal Chaos Lords).