Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Battle Report: New Chaos Vs New Chaos 1750 pts game (Warning: lots of pictures!)
Old 06 Sep 2007, 11:10   #1 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default Battle Report: New Chaos Vs New Chaos 1750 pts game (Warning: lots of pictures!)

“My Lord, I have sensed the presence of enemy units coming into our territory”. The Nurglite Sorceror speaks in an unholy voice and his eyes glow with magenta. Plague Lord Baldr have always trusted the abilities of his sorcerer, especially when it comes to reconnaissance with his ‘Warp Eye’.

“Who are they? And where?” Baldr speaks to his subordinate. The sorcerer then puts his hand upon an unbroken mirror in the beauty store that they have made into the makeshift base. The mirror crackled with the energies of the warp and the reflection of the Sorceror is no more. Instead, an image of several Chaos marines walking amongst the ruins of the city projects itself. And then suddenly something caught the Plague Lord’s eye. He see that two bikers with lavishly coloured armour are in front of the intruding warband, proudly leading them. Baldr hissed at the image.

“Those Pleasure seekers…..I will let them know the pleasures of death. Sorceror, send the images into the heads of my warband and tell them to prepare themselves.

Anyway, this would be the first battle report that I ever posted on TO with pictures. Since we are using alot of proxies and we do not have a camera as well, I decided to instead use 'Microsoft Paint' to make this battle report.

This 1750 pts game between my nurglites and my friend’s custom Chaos warband is a rather brutal one, as we decided to test out the many things in the new codex. Here are our list.

Baldr’s Force (My Nurglite Marines)

HQ

Chaos Lord
Bike
Mark of Nurgle
Daemon weapon
Meltabomb
Personal Icon

Elites
Chaos Terminators
Icon of Nurgle
1 Aspring Champion with Combi-plasma gun and Chain fist
5 Terminators with with combi-plasma gun
1 Terminator with Reaper Autocannon

Troops
1. Chaos Space Marine
Icon of Nurgle
1 Aspring champion with powerfist
1 Chaos Space marine with Missile launcher
1 Chaos Space marine with plasma gun
7 Chaos Space Marine

2. Chaos Space Marine
Icon of Nurgle
1 Aspring champion with powerfist
1 Chaos Space marine with Missile launcher
1 Chaos Space marine with plasma gun
7 Chaos Space Marine

Fast attack
Chaos Bikers
Icon of Nurgle
1 Aspiring champion with Powerfist and Meltabomb
2 Chaos Bikers with Meltagun and meltabomb
4 bikers with Meltabombs

Heavy Support
1. Chaos Predator
Twin-linked lascannon
Heavy bolter sponson
Daemonic Possession
Dozer blade

2. Chaos Predator
Twin-linked lascannon
Heavy bolter sponson
Daemonic Possession
Dozer blade

Total :1746 pts

At the time of the game, I have not the CSM codex, and thus I have to borrow my friend’s printed copy to make the list. I do not recall what upgrades that he really buy for them, but his list looks something like this.

My friend’s Warband
Hq

2 Slaaneshi Biker Sorcerors with Lash of Submission psychic power

Elites

3 squad of 10 vanilla chosens with 5 plasmagun

Troops

2 squad of 5 vanilla CSM with plasmagun

Heavy Support
2 squads of 3 Obliterators

1 Vindicator with Daemonic possession

Game mission
The game is a basic omega-level cleanse with a little of the gaming centre’s house rule. Instead of deploying in a typical 3 feet X 4 feet, we deploy the entire army on a strip of 6 feet x 4 feet, with the units deployed must be 15 inches from the table edge. In addition, there is no random game length roll as well.

Special game mission rolls that are in effect in the game
Escalation
Night fight (1st turn)

[Gaming Terrain
In the game, the terrain looks something like this.

The buildings that is marked with red are those buildings that have several levels on them
The red buildings are divided into several squares (depending on how many levels on that building. The square on the left is the highest level, while the square on the right are the lowest levels. As for those buildings with a square in the middle, that means second floor.

The turquoise ones are the small ruins, and the ones in blue are the buildings that have only one level in them.

In the game, the small ruins confers a 5+ cover saves, while the rest of the buildings have a 4+ cover save.

Deployment and deployment zones

Since I have won the roll for choosing table quarter, he deploys his unit first. So after several minutes of deployment, here is how the zone looks like.

The units that are in hues of purple are his units, while my units are those in hues of green are my units. Each one of us know the benefits of a cover save, and thus we put our units into cover. Since I know that he will have tones of template flying my way, I decided to go with the anti-blast marker formation and just spread my squads.

Rolling for who starts

I rolled a two, while my friend rolled a 1. And thus I decided to let him go first, as I would like to see where would his sorcerors come out.

turn 1
Opponent’s turn
My opponent decided to try and aim for my units, but his Night fight rolls are dismal. And thus he never even inflict a single casualty.

My Turn
I also decided to shoot at him. The squad on the left decided to shoot at the obliterators with a Krak while the squad on my right is in range to shoot only the chosens, and the obvious choice for them would be a Frag warhead. The Obliterators managed to shrug off the Krak missile, while the Chosens got 1 Casualty.

Picture at end of turn 1

Casualties for turn 1
Opponent:
1 Chosen

Me:
none

Turn 2
Opponent’s Turn
As my opponent rolls for his reserves, he managed to bring in one of his Sorceror and also his vindicator. The sorcerer moves closer to the Chosen squad in the middle and just hides behind the building. His Vindicator hides behind the building and decided to play sneaky.

The full force of his firepower then comes upon my troops, mostly coming from plasma cannons and I suffered 4 casualties.

My Turn

I rolled for my Reserves, and my two Predators came in along with my terminators.

My terminators decided to teleport close to the Chosen squad, but instead my deepstriking terminators scattered 4” left from my intended spot. Predator #1 decided to use the terrain for its own advantage while still able to fire on something while the other one ventures out to try and support my right flank.

My terminators are able to wipe out two out of the three obliterators at the left flank with their combi-plasmaguns, and Predator #1 (left one) gives that squad of obliterators the killing blow. The Nurglite CSM squad on the right fires another frag missile, killing another two more chosens.

Picture at End of Turn 2

Casualties:
Opponent
2 Chosens
3 obliterators

Me:
4 Chaos Space Marines.

Turn 3

Opponent’s Turn

My opponent is able to finally bring in his last reserve unit which is another Slaaneshi sorcerer. Then he rolls The sorcerer moved up 12 inches behind the building on the right. The rest of his army decided to stay put.

His shooting phase for this turn is the most brutal for me, as he used the two Lash of Submission power to drag my Terminators like a rag doll and getting shot by tons plasma goodness (most of them rapid fire) from his Chosens and his Chaos Space Marines. This nasty combo wiped out my squad of terminators.

In addition, his remaining obliterator squad killed off three marines from the CSM squad at my right flank. However he suffered a lot of “Gets hot!” result on his Chosens and Chaos space Marines, and with it 5 Chosens and 2 marines died.

My Turn

I rolled for my reserves and the only squad that entered in is the bikers. As a result of seeing the Lash of Submission and Plasma fire killing my Terminator Squad, I decided wisely to hide them behind a terrain and wait. I moved Predator #2 6 inches forward to get a better view of the enemy ‘stronghold’ at my right flank.

In my shooting phase, Predator #1 and Left flank Chaos Marin squad decided to shoot at the Chosens, killing 3 in the process. At the other side, the shooting is horrible, as my Predator is the only thing that is able to kill anything (1 dismal chosen).

Picture at end of Turn 3

Casualties
Opponent:
9Chosens
2 Marines

Mine:
7 Terminators
3 Marines

Turn 4

Opponent’s Turn

He decided to move his Second sorcerer turbobooosting out from behind the terrain, while he moved his squad of Chosen in the middle to the right flank to accommodate space for the first sorcerer to come closer to the building. The rest stayed in the terrain again (man is he static!)

In the shooting phase, he is unable o use his Lash of Submission power as the first sorcerer have no LOS while the other one turboboosted. However his other units found other targets to kill, and they managed to kill another one more marine from the Right Flank Chaos Space Marines and the Chosens from the ‘stronghold’ managed to destroy the Lascannon off Predator #2.

My Turn

My Lord is finally on the table, and I moved him and my bikers to wards the building in the Turboboosting the entire lot.

Predator 1 decides to move out from the cover in an L-shape maneuver.

For my shooting phase I finally manage to kill of the squad of Chosens at the left flank with my predator and CSMs. As for my right flank, the wounded Predator moves forward to shoot the chosen squad at the right flank with its heavy bolters, killing 2 in the process.

Picture at the end of Turn 4

Casualties
Opponent:
6 Chosens

Turn 5
Opponent’s turn
My Opponent decides to Turboboost Sorceror # 2 towards the Left Flank CSMs, while his Chosens in the middle and the Sorceror #1 decided to go inside the building.

In the shooting phase, Obliterators on the right flank managed to destroy Predator #2. Sorceror #1 decided to use Lash of Submission on the bikers and bring them closer to the building. The bikers have to make the Dangerous terrain test, but none failed the test. However, the Chosens that is beside Sorceror #1 decided to rapid fire their plasma guns, managing to kill 4 bikers, and 3 of their plasmagunners. The Sorceror then decided to charge the Bikers, killing one biker in the process. The bikers did very badly for the assault phase; not being able to get a single would from the sorcerer. The bikers managed to stand their ground and fight on.

My turn

I decided to move Predator #1 (which is the only surviving Predator) out, while I moved my Lord into the terrain.

In the shooting phase, my Left Flank CSM is within sight to shoot at the sorcerer, managing to give him one wound. However, the squad’s plasmagunner died as a result of the “Gets Hot!” rule. The predator is only able to get one casualty from the CSM squad in the building.

The CSM squad at the right flank then decides to shoot the missile launcher again at the Chosen, but unable to kill anything at all.

My lord then charged the Chosens and wiping them out. The bikers also managed to wipe out Sorceror #1 with a hit from the powerfist with not a single casualty.

Picture at End of Turn 5

Casualties:
Opponent:
1 sorceror
7 chosens
1 marine

Mine:
1 CSM
5 bikers

Turn 6
Opponent turn

My opponent, seizing the opportunity decided to bring out his vindicator, while his Obliterators comes out from the building as well. He also moves his remaining sorcerer inside the building to the same floor as the Left flank squad.

In the shooting phase, the opponent at the right flank shoots everything they got at the bikers, but the bikers only suffered one casualty.

The sorcerer then decided to charge the squad of Chaos Space Marines, killing all but three men.

My Turn

Seeing that I am actually at the short end of the stick, I decided to move my Lord and the remaining biker at the vindicator. The predator also attempts to move forward.
In the shooting phase I managed to use the missile launcher and kill a few more Chosens. The predator managed many hits, but is unable to wound anything.

In the assault phase, my Lord and Biker Champion decided to charge the vindicator, and with their meltabombs, managed to blow it up. The explosion managed to bring down one of the CSM and one of the obliterators.

At the other end, sorcerer #2 made dismal rolls and only managed to kill one marine. But then afterwards, the Sorceror is dead with a punch from the powerfist.

Picture at the end of Turn 6

Casualties
Opponent:
1 Obliterator
1 Chosen
1 CSM
1 Sorceror

Mine:
8 CSM
1 Biker.

Game Result: Draw in favour of Nurglite forces.

Comments about this game
About the new Chaos stuff

This game is rather scary for me, as I see the potential of two lash of Submissions together with 3 squads of Chosens with 5 plasmaguns, and Obliterators with Plasma cannon equals to a rather scary combo. Luckily for me that the Vindicator decided to play chicken or else I would have a lot more casualties.

But on the brighter side, I am able to see how a Nurglite Lord on biker is a tough nut to crack and with a Daemon Weapon and Meltabomb, he can give a lot of headache for an opponent. In addition, missile launchers are wonderful in this game, as they are very versatile.

Mistakes
Opponent’s mistake
I think that his Chosens in the middle and the left should just keep on moving down my right flank after Predator #2 is dead. Also he should not charge his sorcerors into squads where there are Power fist inside them. If his sorcerors are living, they would have made all the difference with their “Lash of Submission” powers.

In addition, I say that he should move his vindicator in a more offensive manner, especially after my predator is dead.

My mistake

I should not have teleported my Terminators out in the open like that. I should instead play safe and teleport them near an Icon and just march or stay my ground from there on out. Although that would mean that they will be rather slow, but at least they will not be blasted to bits that easily.

In addition, Predator # 2 should have hide once its main weapon is gone, and instead protect my biker’s approach instead of shooting at the Chosens.

For the Bikers, I actually somewhat intended for them to be drawn closer by the Slaaneshi sorceror. It worked but I have forgotten about Chosen squads that are also within vicinity. Or else I can overwhelm the Slaaneshi sorceror. Next time, no more gambles like that.

Epilogue

[i]Seeing that their Sorcerors are dead, and witnessing the tenacity of Plague lord Baldr they decided to retreat and lick their wounds. Baldr gives out a maniacal laugh before spilling out insults at the broken enemy forces. As he gets out from his bike and walks around, he asked for the only surviving biker to follow him. As the biker Champion gets down from his bike and waljk up to the Lord, he wonders what is it that the Lord wants. Plague Lord Baldr is known to kill his own troops for their incompetence. The Biker Champion fears for his life.

But instead of him feling the cold Daemonic scythe inside his flesh, he hears a metallic clang on his armour. The Biker Champion then notices that the Plague Lord is patting him at the shoulders, a gesture that is rather unheard of in a Chaos warband.

“I like your style when you rip the Pleasure dog from its life. What is your name?”. The Biker Champion is rather hesitant to talk to the Plague Lord, but he speaks at last.

“Lughar my Lord.”

“I need soldiers like you instead of the weaklings. Anyway, now that we have enough of the enemy dead on this battlefield to replenish our forces I will now give you the right to lead a far bigger squad. I will ask Sada the sorcerer to resurrect these dead men and let you command them.” The Aspiring Champion then kneel down before the Plague lord, grateful of the reward that Baldr has bestowed upon him………

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emlyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT
They're an insane bunch of reptiles...
I wasn't asking about the moderating staff.
crisis_vyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Sep 2007, 14:26   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Battle Report: New Chaos Vs New Chaos 1750 pts game (Warning: lots of pictures!)

Thanks for the BatRep! I like how his chosen killed themselves with rapid firing and then got wasted in CC. Same with his Sorcerers in CC. I think you did pretty well considering your opponent was playing in such a boring way.

By the way, could you please punch your friend in the face for me? Thank you.
Chimerical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Sep 2007, 14:46   #3 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default Re: Battle Report: New Chaos Vs New Chaos 1750 pts game (Warning: lots of pictures!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimerical
Thanks for the BatRep! I like how his chosen killed themselves with rapid firing and then got wasted in CC. Same with his Sorcerers in CC. I think you did pretty well considering your opponent was playing in such a boring way.
Yeah, now that I think about it I am rather lucky to get out with a draw.

Quote:
By the way, could you please punch your friend in the face for me? Thank you.
Well, sure. He is also an IW (ex by the way) player in the old codex, so basically it is rather hard for him to not let go of his cheesy firepower habits.

Titansock would be the best thing for him. :P

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT
Old 06 Sep 2007, 15:13   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Seems to me like terminators are still just not worth to me for Nurgle. Suprised you didn't use any plague marines, tho I suppose they wouldn't have faired that well with that much plasma.
orcspit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Sep 2007, 15:37   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default Re: Battle Report: New Chaos Vs New Chaos 1750 pts game (Warning: lots of pictur

Quote:
Originally Posted by orcspit
Seems to me like terminators are still just not worth to me for Nurgle.
Nurglite terminators are rather scary if they do their job and are used wisely (For this battle report, they did the former but they died).

They are also my comfort unit, as I never leave my death guard without them.

Quote:
Suprised you didn't use any plague marines, tho I suppose they wouldn't have faired that well with that much plasma.
I am just too lazy to mech up my force this time round (even if I want to tes tPlague Marines), and I will not go Mech again with my Nurglites. 3rd ed, they can infiltrate, but now they have to be in rhinos. I already have two Mech forces (Tau and SOB), so making another mech force is just very tiring for me.

Besides my list lacks anti-tank and thus the CSM are the only units other than the bikers and the Predators that can help the army moe balanced both in terms of anti-tank and anti-infantry.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT
Old 06 Sep 2007, 16:18   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Terminator Holocaust!

Seriously, good battle report. You should be karmatized for this.
doodle bug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Sep 2007, 21:27   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default Re: Battle Report: New Chaos Vs New Chaos 1750 pts game (Warning: lots of pictur

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodle bug
Terminator Holocaust!
They always do that, but not without destroying an unit of extreme significance. in 3rd edition or 4th edition, they are still the same old, same old.

So far, I guess this will be a list that I prefer to use. I have played two games with my Nurglites, every time playing by proxy. Havocs is not my cup of tea, and I am not a cheesy player, and terminators with Combi-meltas are fun but not my style. Possessed are fun to use, but I am not going Mechanized again...ever.

Lascannons on my Chaos Marines made them a bigger target than they are suppose to be, and I like versatility more than total destruction. So missile Launcher it is.

I have not tried
1)Raptors
2) Plague Marines( solid firebase of at least 12-14 marines)
3)Sorceror
4) Daemon Prince
5) Greater Daemon
6)Lesser Daemons

These units are the ones that I am interested in, and thus I would like to try them out in subsequent games. As for the rest, it either is not fluffy, needs transports to make them work, or just doesn't suit my playing style. Sometimes they overlap and /or merged together.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT
Old 07 Sep 2007, 02:46   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisis_Vyper
Quote:
Terminator Holocaust!
I am not a cheesy player
if only my friend where like that.... stupid markerlight skyray....stupid broadside...stupid hammerhead....oh well ive got a land raider now >
Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodiedFangs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargamer
It's like being totally wasted on drugs, only with no side effects.
eg being arrested for licking a police officer's face trying to find out if they really do taste like snozberrys
It's true!
By reading this fine print your soul is now exclusive property of Chaos Master and subsidaries, All Rights reserved >.
http://www.pkbc.net/
chaos_master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Sep 2007, 14:43   #9 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaos_master
Quote:
Quote:
Terminator Holocaust!
I am not a cheesy player
if only my friend where like that.... stupid markerlight skyray....stupid broadside...stupid hammerhead....oh well ive got a land raider now >
Okay......but Land Raiders are almost always the first thing that the Railguns would target. Tau are one of the forces that can really take down Av 14 with impunity from long ranges.

I say Land raiders are a no-no, as they are overpriced for what they do. Predators and havocs will do them better for anti-tank, while the transportstuff is better off with a rhino.

Land raider is a large fire magnet slab.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT
Old 07 Sep 2007, 15:18   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
I say Land raiders are a no-no, as they are overpriced for what they do. Predators and havocs will do them better for anti-tank, while the transportstuff is better off with a rhino.
I disagree. Chaos Land Raiders are now actually quite a bargain.
Compare with a predator, kitted out for anti-tank (lascannon sponsons, TL las), and there's only about 55 point difference, which gets you significantly armour all around, about as many lascannon shots, and a TL heavy bolter for good measure.

As assault troop transports, they're so much better than rhinos. Forget for a moment how a rhino tends to die to any enemy fire, the ability to launch troops into assault, after moving, is a huge advantage.

If you're planning on driving up and rapid firing, rhinos work ok. If you need to get a squad of assault troops into assault, a land raider is the way to go.

Yes, the Tau have railguns that can potentially hurt your toy. But, you should be able to minimize some fire with smart placement, smoke, and terrain, and even a railgun is only a 50/50 chance. And most armies don't have S10 guns.
redbeard is offline   Reply With Quote