Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Who agrees that its about time Chaos got taken down a peg with the new codex!?
Old 05 Sep 2007, 09:49   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to Gamblor
Default Who agrees that its about time Chaos got taken down a peg with the new codex!?

Chaos players (ive played against) for far to long have been using tooled up demon princes and other ungodley armies with no character or theme for far to long, its about time they got taken down a peg!

What do you guys reckon?, and yes i realise this is a chaos forum.
"The Machine is strong. We must purge the weak, hated flesh and replace i with the blessed purity of metal. Only through permanence can we truly triumph, only through the Machine can we find victory. Punish the flesh, Iron in mind and body. Hail the Machine". logo-40k.jpg
Gamblor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Sep 2007, 10:02   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Who agrees that its about time Chaos got taken down a peg with the new codex!?

Urgh. I don't disagree with you. Well, I don't completely agree but I'm not going into it. Realise that we've had this conversation many, many times already. You can get your dose of it from the rumour thread about the codex in the GW news and rumours board.
Chimerical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Sep 2007, 11:31   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: Who agrees that its about time Chaos got taken down a peg with the new codex!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamblor
Chaos players (ive played against) for far to long have been using tooled up demon princes and other ungodley armies with no character or theme for far to long, its about time they got taken down a peg!

Rather amusing actually- If anything, Tzeentch is even BETTER with the new codex, with better troops, daemons, and more options for the rest of the army...

[br]

[br]
Deneris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Sep 2007, 11:34   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to Gamblor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deneris
Quote:

Rather amusing actually- If anything, Tzeentch is even BETTER with the new codex, with better troops, daemons, and more options for the rest of the army...
im talkin about the overall changes to the codex not just one faction/mark!
"The Machine is strong. We must purge the weak, hated flesh and replace i with the blessed purity of metal. Only through permanence can we truly triumph, only through the Machine can we find victory. Punish the flesh, Iron in mind and body. Hail the Machine". logo-40k.jpg
Gamblor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Sep 2007, 11:45   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Well then, I think it's a change for the better for Chaos.

[br]

[br]
Deneris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Sep 2007, 11:52   #6 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to ForbiddenKnowledge

I think they have put a stop to overpowering (apart from AP3 bolters... look like the Rhino Rush is back - wtf was Gav smoking :) but from what I read of it monday, I hate it. Its horrible, its far too simpleton, simple, streamlined, yeah - good idea, but this? This assumes people have the intelligence of a monkey! Wargear section was horrible layed out - I know some people might not be able to read small font as well, but super size? Christ, its nearly big enough to see from space! Why, GW, why?

Makes me glad my armies aren't due for years now, and makes me feel sorry for orks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim.
Rafe is damn sexy once he gets into his night attire.
ForbiddenKnowledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Sep 2007, 14:44   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: Who agrees that its about time Chaos got taken down a peg with the new codex

Let's put it this way. In the old codex I ran one of the few IW armies that didn't max out on obies and indirect fire pie plates. I basically took the attitude of "Bring on the Pain!" as the new book meant that I would no longer be lumped in with all those idiots who gave the IWs a bad name in the old book.

Yay! I'll no longer be egged on the street!
I'd hate to get on his bad side... >
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiwaz
Fishy has just proved to me that Canadians CAN be scary...
Fish Ead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Sep 2007, 14:48   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Who agrees that its about time Chaos got taken down a peg with the new codex

I don't agree, I'm a big fan of the new Chaos Codex. I'm writing a review of it that'll expound on my view in greater detail, but basically I think they've pulled some stuff out and streamlined the army that was always there.

As to the ksons being unbalanced, I've played my ksons pre and post new codex...and I can't agree that they've gotten stronger. The Invul 4+ save and the AP 3 bolter, sorcerer with force weapon and SAP combine to make a unit that plays differently from everyone else, but isn't nearly as severe as the old ksons units where the sorcerer got to pull from the armory. I think they finally have a role and fit within the greater Chaos army as MEQ killers.

That said, I can't agree to this thread's premise...that this new codex "takes chaos down a peg or two." They got a new codex, I wish my Necrons could be similarly treated.
Old 05 Sep 2007, 14:59   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I don't know if this new Chaos is stronger or weaker than the old one, but I don't think that MY army will become any weaker. I never ever even used a Daemon Prince, my Lord is a Terminator and there is a normal Lieutenant (well, female, but still just a regular Space Marine). I never used those tactics like Sirenbomb etc., because it wouldn't be fun. Actually, I think that the new concept actually takes away a lot of fluffy fun of making unique Chaos heroes with various powers and gadgets, although it certainly makes playing easier (playing mostly big games, I could never remember which of my ACs has what upgrades).
I'm not complaining about the changes, but Max Smirnov from the IG forum who I usually play against now laments the old Codex a few times a day, and claims that playing against the new Chaos is boring, that it generally sucks and it's not true Chaos anymore. When an IG player says that Chaos units are too weak (I mean units like ACs, NOT the army), then something might be wrong indeed...
Originally Posted by Tak'Ukos
Oh God, not that deamnohunters! :P
Who else would fight Choas with Palasma weapons?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Ead
My Shas'O, I picture as an old grizzled war vet. However, he has a bit of a gung-ho streak. Think Sun Tzu meets Yeosemite Sam
Solarius Scorch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Sep 2007, 14:59   #10 (permalink)
Anton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Ead
Yay! I'll no longer be egged on the street!
Or be stoned to death, or hung drawn & quartered or burnt on a stake. :P

The old Codex gave everyone a bad name, although the Iron Warriors were the pinnacle of it, the whole "every Chaos player is a bearded, cheese eating power gamer" insult has been slung at us for too long! I'm very happy with the new Codex, and I can't wait to eventually get a force together and slay some maggots of the False Emperor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe
I think they have put a stop to overpowering (apart from AP3 bolters... look like the Rhino Rush is back  - wtf was Gav smoking :) but from what I read of it monday, I hate it. Its horrible, its far too simpleton, simple, streamlined, yeah - good idea, but this? This assumes people have the intelligence of a monkey! Wargear section was horrible layed out - I know some people might not be able to read small font as well, but super size? Christ, its nearly big enough to see from space! Why, GW, why?
Why? Because daft, useless and indecipherable rules were the major problems with the Old Codex. Heck, summoning and using Daemons in the Old Codex was far too complicated, as was the whole "If you take 50pts+ of Wargear your Lord can become a Daemon Prince," What!? Then what the hell was the point of Daemonic Stature!? The Legion rules were abused horribly and the God specific rules were just plain useless.

The reason GW has trimmed away the hunks of crap from the Old Codex is so that they are easier to play and understand, and that people can abuse our beloved army no more. Remember, not all of us are as clever as you may think, and that GW has a large 'younger player' market, and not every Tom, Dick & Harry can waltz into a GW store and know how Daemonic Instability works from the top of his head.