Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Confusions with the new chaos 'dex
Old 04 Sep 2007, 21:08   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Confusions with the new chaos 'dex

Okay, it's been a long time since i posted here, but i'm still just trolling around. i have a couple of questions:

A: Can a chaos lord on bike still have a daemon weapon (i'm not sure on the Bike + 2hand weapon part of this)
and B: For chaos bikers/lord on bike, does the icon of nurgle stack toughness with their bike's toughness, and if not, then what's the point of putting an icon of nurgle on a unit of bikes.

I really want to convert some plague-riders, but i need to know a little bit about how effective they are (without infiltrate/daemonic speed, i'm looking for a little bit of a speed boost for my death guard.)
Deadman42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Sep 2007, 00:53   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Confusions with the new chaos 'dex

A: I don't see anything that says he can't.

B: Yes, the toughness stacks so the Lord would be T4(6).

You can check out my thread on playing Death Guard with the new codex. I didn't elaborate extensively on the uses of nurgle marked bikers but I believe they will be a popular and effective choice.
Cadaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Sep 2007, 03:41   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Yes yes yes! You CAN have a daemon weapon on a bike. Chaos now benefit from what I like to call the "Look Ma' No Hands!" rule. This is actually one of the very rare cases where the "it doesn't say I can't" argument works! There is no blanket prohibition on using only 1 hand worth of weapons on a bike these days, so he follows the normal rules for arming your characters as defined in your codex and may get the +1 attack for additional CCWs if you are so equipped. The only codex left that has anything like that as far as I know is the Dark Eldar one and you can bet that they'll ditch that rule for them as well. Hell a chaos lord could juggle a combi-weapon, a pistol and a close combat weapon all while riding a bike down a flight of stairs into a mob of enemies and if he was a sorceror instead he could do it all while casting warptime on himself!
I'd hate to get on his bad side... >
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiwaz
Fishy has just proved to me that Canadians CAN be scary...
Fish Ead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Sep 2007, 04:37   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Ead
Yes yes yes! You CAN have a daemon weapon on a bike. Chaos now benefit from what I like to call the "Look Ma' No Hands!" rule. This is actually one of the very rare cases where the "it doesn't say I can't" argument works! There is no blanket prohibition on using only 1 hand worth of weapons on a bike these days, so he follows the normal rules for arming your characters as defined in your codex and may get the +1 attack for additional CCWs if you are so equipped. The only codex left that has anything like that as far as I know is the Dark Eldar one and you can bet that they'll ditch that rule for them as well. Hell a chaos lord could juggle a combi-weapon, a pistol and a close combat weapon all while riding a bike down a flight of stairs into a mob of enemies and if he was a sorceror instead he could do it all while casting warptime on himself!
Quoted for Epic.

I have a friend who got me into w40k, and then quit playing once I got well deep into the hobby. His complaint? Tournament Armies(the cheese wagon ones) and that they were getting rid of tactics...
doesnt seem so anymore, with all the neat tricks you can pull, especially with the lash.

Methinks he was just upset that he couldnt do what he used to be able to with the new eldar codex...
Wired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Sep 2007, 07:38   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Oh man, that seems like it'll be a unit with lots of speed and lots of punch (and oh my god, they don't die to regular weapons!) that will cost me a fair share of points.

I'm really excited about writing up a list now. there are so many cool models coming out (posessed, i can now use riders, spawn, etc.) that my army will probably change in style. also, would any of you, were someone to ask you this question at your local club object to it? Question: "Hey, can i use my FW great unclean one as a regular greater daemon rather than scabiothrax the vile?" as i'm considering running a greater daemon, but i hate the regular great unclean one, and scabiothrax is just so badass.
Deadman42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Sep 2007, 08:17   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I will not be convinced of the value of MoN Bikers until I see them in action. Unless you take, say, 8 minimum. And that will cost you big time. Like, well into the 300s before upgrades or aspiring champions etc. I would sooner go for deepstriking MoN termies.

Anyway I think Lord Syphilis already tried them out. The lesson he learnt was that they will get shot at and they will die. The problem is they take up so many freakin points that you don't have much left over to invest in other similarly threatening squads. It's a basically a no-brainer to shoot at them.
Chimerical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Sep 2007, 13:42   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadman42
also, would any of you, were someone to ask you this question at your local club object to it? Question: "Hey, can i use my FW great unclean one as a regular greater daemon rather than scabiothrax the vile?" as i'm considering running a greater daemon, but i hate the regular great unclean one, and scabiothrax is just so badass.
Yeah, I don't think you'll have to ask. Just tell them it's a regular greater daemon, you just prefer the model.
Cadaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Sep 2007, 19:46   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

A note about the Bikes: According to the codex in the wargear section, it says to refer to the W40K main rulebook for the rules on bikes.
Wired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Sep 2007, 20:50   #9 (permalink)
Anton

One thing I am really confused with is the Daemon Weapon rule. Now, in the New Codex it states that: "Roll the dice every time the model is about to attack. If the result is a 1, the bound Daemon within the weapon rebels... etc..." So does that mean you roll a single dice before you attack? Or if you get a single 1 in all of the Characters attacks will that cause the weapon to rebel? If so, what's the point of taking Daemon Weapons? :-\
Old 05 Sep 2007, 20:53   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton
One thing I am really confused with is the Daemon Weapon rule. Now, in the New Codex it states that: "Roll the dice every time the model is about to attack. If the result is a 1, the bound Daemon within the weapon rebels... etc..." So does that mean you roll a single dice before you attack? Or if you get a single 1 in all of the Characters attacks will that cause the weapon to rebel? If so, what's the point of taking Daemon Weapons? :-\
Only the roll to see how many extra attacks ;D