Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

The Dark Path: Combi-weapons on Terminators
Old 24 Aug 2007, 08:39   #1 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default The Dark Path: Combi-weapons on Terminators

Well, I have read the codex and have seen the enlighten ways in which Chaos Space Marines can wage war. Thus, with this article it would begin the many articles about the new possibilities of what the new Chaos Space Marines codex can offer to us in the foreseeable future.

So enjoy.

The Dark Path: Combi-weapons on Terminators

In the old codex, we can actually make the reaper autocannon to be a viable anti-tank weapon, as we can improved upon its characteristics with the Tank hunter veteran skill. But now, gone are the veteran skills and Daemonic gifts (I have seen some who use them for terminators *shudder*). With the advent of the new codex, the loss of the 6 man Terminator squad* with two Reaper Autocannon and tank hunters veteran skill have hurt many of us who use Chaos Terminators with a passion. Thus, we are forced to take on the challenge that the Great Architect have set for us and find for ourselves the new ways in which to spread the will of Chaos.

Now the new codex had brought on an unprecedented vulnerability with the use of terminators on the first look. We can no longer be (somewhat) equal to the Loyalist terminator squads. In fact, we are actually inferior compared to them in terms of shooting (assault is a different case however) by a large margin as they can have up to two assault cannons (hopefully the GW dudes will fix this somehow in the future) in a 5-man squad while we can only have one reaper autocannon in a 5-man squad. And that is without puttiong in the storm bolters, which are always better than combi-bolters. Even those terminators from the new DA and BA codices outgunned us by a considerable margin, as they can still use their assault cannon (one for every 5 ) to have more shots (some of which rends!) to force more saves upon enemies. And what do we have to totally match up to that volume of firepower? Nothing much as we have fewer shots even with the reaper autocannon. For a marine player of any kind, they need that firepower to compensate for the fact that they are always outnumbered and that is especially true for terminators.

With this lack of extreme firepower in mind, we had effectively become an inferior version of the loyalist terminators in terms of shooting…….NOT! We Chaos have something up our sleeves that will make those servants of the False Emperor weep their heart out and wish that they were on our side! The new codex had provided us with a small, overlooked, underrated but nevertheless powerful gift; combi-weapons.

Combi-weapons in general

As we all know combi -weapons are basically a bolter that is strapped upon with one other type of weapon. Combi-weapons are once a weapon that people looked with distaste as it is a miracle one shot weapon. People would just hate it when that one shot miss and the gun basically just lost its trump card. Also the fact is that there used to be only two types of combi-weapons (Flamer and Melta variant) which usually needs to be in a rather dangerous distance (depending on combi-weapon loaded on) to even use them. That really turned off many people as fast as they looked upon it (except those who really like one-shot miracles or are pursuing a theme) as you are paying point for a weapon that is not practical.

In this case of the new codex, we are given the choice of strapping our combi-weapons with three weapons each with their own advantages and disadvantages. They are Combi-Melta, Combi-Flamer, and Combi-Plasma gun (which is a new addition, old Chaos Space Marines codex have not the combi-plasma gun and that it is legal and not a typo as the entry clearly state the name as one of the combi weapon that can be used.). And with the price of the combi-weapons all becoming the same prize as a combi-flamer in the old codex, it provides us with something interesting.

More details in the combi-weapons and application with Terminators

The new codex states that you can buy a combi-weapon for each one of your terminators, to replace the twin-linked bolter. But what can it do? Let’s see shall we? ?

Combi-flamer

I will first touch upon the use of the most reliable but yet weakest of the combi-weapons; the combi-flamer. For its point-cost, it is a rather good one-shot weapon, as it can potentially bring down many infantry units with it. Flamers hits automatically and ignore cover saves, and that in itself is a nasty thing indeed for those armies that have a save lower than that of an imperial guardsmen will die like they are nothing. Even for those with better armour saves, it will force them to make quite a number of saves.

But like all flamer weapons, it is a rather short-ranged weapon with the range being the flamer template. In addition, the effectiveness of the flamer decrease as the armour save value becomes lower (with the value of 2+ save being the lowest).And with a one shot weapon, that factor even makes it more or less rather a situational weapon to use. But en-mass they are a force to be reckoned with as 5 flamers (maybe more) staring you down the face is no laughing matter.

Application of a full squad of combi-flamer terminators
The practical use of this weapon would be for those terminators that footslog or those assault oriented terminators riding upon a Land Raider, as deepstriking the terminators with combi-flamers requires one to have the luck of angels to get to range and even if they are able to deepstrike within flamer range towards an enemy unit, they can not do anything but shoot. That would make them sitting ducks in one go.

If they footslog or ride in a Land Raider, they will arrive slower on the scene, but now they can use their flamers with impunity and the assault the squad they had just use the flamers on provided that they are within charging range. So basically, it is just like a drive-thru barbecue where you burn the meat and then cut it up to pieces, with the enemy being the meat mentioned.

Combi-Plasma gun

This weapon could potentially become the bestl combi-weapon for its point cost. The reason being that being an Imperial Plasma Gun, it has the strength and AP to make even the terminators themselves become afraid. Weaknesses…well this one is a little interesting. As we all know, Imperial plasma guns overheat, and thus we can have the potential to have the ‘Gets hot!’ result. With rapid-fire, this increases. But here is the most interesting part. Since the terminators have the armour save of 2+, this can make them rather resistant to their own ‘Gets hot!’ test, as their armour save will often save them (unless you roll ones of course). Another weakness would be that it can not harm any armour 14+ vehicles but even that is a rare sight (unless the armies that you face every time are Land Raider-spam armies or the Pyramids of Giza (a name I always use when I see three monolith)),so it is not exactly a debilitating weakness.

This weapon can also shoot further than any of the combi weapons, as the plasma gun has the same range as that of a bolter. So when terminators armed with combi-plasma gun finds a target that can not be brought down with their bolters, thy can just use the one-shot plasma gun to gun that thing down, and with Space marine BS, they can potentially bring down enemies.

Application of a full squad of terminators armed only with combi-plasma gun

This weapon can also shoot further than any of the combi- weapons, as the plasma gun has the same range as that of a bolter. So when terminators armed with combi-plasma gun finds a target that can not be brought down with their bolters, thy can just use the one-shot plasma gun to gun that thing down, and with space marine ballistic skills and terminator armour, they can potentially bring down enemies like they are made out of paper without any harmful side effects.

Combi-plasmagun terminators are best used to hunt down monstrous creatures for most monstrous creatures have very high toughness and also crazy amount of wounds. The plasmagun will see that the mostrous creature will suffer quite a few wounds, and perhaps killing it.They also excel at HQ and Expnsive unit-hunting, as most HQ and Expensive elites (Terminators, Imortals, etc) will never exceed the toughness of 5 (6 for HQ).

Combi-melta

This gun presents us with the ability to take down tanks with impunity, even if it is only one shot. Being a meltagun, it benefits from being able to add another armour penetration dice when it comes to see whether or not the weapon can penetrate enemy armour. In addition, it can be used to bring down the toughest of monstrous creatures as well. However it is hampered by a very short range.

Application of a squad armed exclusively by Terminators with combi-meltas

They are best used in a deepstriking capacity in my opinion, as they need to reach to their target and gun it down fast. Their job is to barbecue any main battle tank or any monstrous creature. Their job is just melt anything that they can get their hands on.

Hold on a second! Don’t forget!

Although I have stated the potential of the combi-weapons in a combi-specialized unit, but you can always mix and match to good effect. I must stress that the Combi-weapons are not meant to replace the reaper autrocannon completely, and thus the combi-weapons will and always be a supporting weapon when the time needs it. Thus, it is often recommended that you put in one of those Reaper Autocannons for better support and knowing the fact that there is still some heavy firepower that you can always rely on every turn instead of the one-hit wonders unless of course you are planning a total crazy style of play (eg: Deepstriking full combi-melta squad, Land Raider riding full-combiflamer squad).The combi-flamer/combi-melta combination is always a nice one.

And always remember that you need not shoot the entire squad’s combi-weapons in one turn. You can opt for a more conservative method, shooting one or two of the combi-weapons per turn, or better yet save it for last turn to get that tide-turning shooting phase.
So basically, once the terminators arrive on the field it does not mean that they have to use them all that turn! Think ahead, as you got only one shot.

Conclusion

Thus with this topic, I hoped that I have enlightened all of you in regards to the unpolished jewel of the armament that is available to the Chaos Terminators of the new codex known as the Combi-weapons. The combi-weapons are not meant to completely replace the Reaper autocannon, but it is meant to be a compliment to it. Also it can provide the very much needed firepower when it is needed.

*I am using black legion here as a basis, any variation in the number due to cult numbers or other reason are not discussed here, as they usually have the same amount of reaper auto cannons or the number of terminators had become to impractical for their point cost

Edit: Thanks Chimerical for pointing some things out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emlyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT
They're an insane bunch of reptiles...
I wasn't asking about the moderating staff.
crisis_vyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Aug 2007, 10:07   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: The Dark Path: Combi-weapons on Terminators

Thanks for saying so but I'm still jealous of assault cannons.

Also, what you say about terminators being impervious to "gets hot" is a little confusing. Cause they're not. Which you also say. In effect you're just saying "terminators have a 2+ save". You're still only going to shoot once with each of them. If you could rapid fire it, then I might be interested. Unfortunately you can't.
Chimerical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Aug 2007, 05:50   #3 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimerical
Also, what you say about terminators being impervious to "gets hot" is a little confusing. Cause they're not. Which you also say. In effect you're just saying "terminators have a 2+ save". You're still only going to shoot once with each of them. If you could rapid fire it, then I might be interested. Unfortunately you can't.
Thanks for reminding me that it is only one shot weapon.

As for the 2+ save thing, I am editting it right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimerical
Thanks for saying so but I'm still jealous of assault cannons.
Well, we have to use our things to even the odds. Assault Cannons are powerful but it only rends sometimes (not four rend results all the time you know) but our Reaper Autocannon have a far longer range, and with opur combiweapons, we can be quite versatile and with the necessary firepower to deal with it.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT
Old 25 Aug 2007, 06:00   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to 33rd Sirican Redbacks

Is it true now that we lose the +1A for terminator armour???
Also the combi plasma gun shots are hideously exiting, you can fry loyalist termies at close range!
Old 25 Aug 2007, 06:10   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Where is everyone seeing the new dex' ? My friend has been chomping at the bit and I'm a little curious myself...

Seventh Sanctum signature oddities.
Alignment: Neutral Pessimistic
Area of Magical Study: Practical Chronomancy
Favorite Spells: Divine Spell of the Cotton Candy Golem and Field of Bacon.

Proud supporter of Joe Wood!

Makes this your one good deed a day.
http://www.thehungersite.com/
enderwiggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Aug 2007, 06:14   #6 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33rd Sirican Redbacks
Also the combi plasma gun shots are hideously exiting, you can fry loyalist termies at close range!
Well, isn't all terminator basic number of attack the same amount?

The new codex actually encourages the CSMs to come in and excel in assaults and close-range firefights. SO yeah, you can go all rambo with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by enderwiggin
Where is everyone seeing the new dex' ? My friend has been chomping at the bit and I'm a little curious myself...
In the western countries, usually that would mean their local GW, where they are putting them up for people to flip through it and playtest it. But there is only one book for every store, and you can not buy it.

Since I am from the Far East, I have to find my own means.......

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT
Old 25 Aug 2007, 06:22   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisis_Vyper
Quote:
Originally Posted by 33rd Sirican Redbacks
Well, isn't all terminator basic number of attack the same amount?

The new codex actually encourages the CSMs to come in and excel in assaults and close-range firefights. SO yeah, you can go all rambo with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by enderwiggin
In the western countries, usually that would mean their local GW, where they are putting them up for people to flip through it and playtest it. But there is only one book for every store, and you can not buy it.

Since I am from the Far East, I have to find my own means.......

Aww, we didn't get a pre-release store copy...Well it keeps my friend from planning already. He already feared my army so much he tailored it to a list I accidentally left at his house -_-'''
The list was before I even knew what deathrains were capable of. I'm in the process of reworking the whole thing! I realize that I had alot of wasted points (150-200 or so) in useless or situational upgrades, and not the right upgrades where I needed them.

I was curious about the new codex because I wanted to know the new Abaddon rules, I heard he became a super-beast of death.

Seventh Sanctum signature oddities.
Alignment: Neutral Pessimistic
Area of Magical Study: Practical Chronomancy
Favorite Spells: Divine Spell of the Cotton Candy Golem and Field of Bacon.

Proud supporter of Joe Wood!

Makes this your one good deed a day.
http://www.thehungersite.com/
enderwiggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Aug 2007, 09:20   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

A nice and comprehensive article, Crisis_Vyper.
Just one question: where can you get all those combi weapons from? Do you have to buy brand new Chaos Terminators? I already have 11 of them (plus Chaos Terminator Lord), so I think I'll pass.
Originally Posted by Tak'Ukos
Oh God, not that deamnohunters! :P
Who else would fight Choas with Palasma weapons?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Ead
My Shas'O, I picture as an old grizzled war vet. However, he has a bit of a gung-ho streak. Think Sun Tzu meets Yeosemite Sam
Solarius Scorch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Aug 2007, 10:11   #9 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solarius Scorch
Just one question: where can you get all those combi weapons from? Do you have to buy brand new Chaos Terminators? I already have 11 of them (plus Chaos Terminator Lord), so I think I'll pass.
I really have no idea as well. I assume that it will come with the new plastic terminators.

I think you can use 'count as' rule for the old ones.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT
Old 03 Sep 2007, 04:45   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Crisis_Vyper,

Sorry to have left you in the cold for so long. I've been out. +1 Karma for your efforts, this is a good article. I plan to use all Combi-plasmas to replace my now-defunct Sonic Blasters on the Ex-Noise Terminators. (This should be Fun!) This is a good article, and with your permission I would like to add it to the FAQ section.

Awaiting your permission sir,
Ged

[glow=purple,2,300]Speaker for the Keeper of Secrets - The Cult of Slannesh[/glow]

-Craftworld Paragon's Rune Sign
GedofParagon is offline   Reply With Quote