Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

How does one kill those pesky Harlequins?
Old 17 Aug 2007, 22:07   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default How does one kill those pesky Harlequins?

I know my Eldar-playing buddy is getting a squad of these nasties together... Any thoughts on how to kill them before they kill my Chaos lads?

(Beyond using Defilers... I think mine are blind...lol)

[br]

[br]
Deneris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Aug 2007, 23:01   #2 (permalink)
Aun
Shas'El

Default Re: How does one kill those pesky Harlequins?

Well, with the new codex on just around the corner I'll talk about some options it oppens up.

1) Spawn: Spawn are fairly cheep and don't take up a fast attack slot in your force. Try and keep them behind your line to make sure they don't get shot up and use them to counter attack those Space Carnies.

2) Daemons: The new generic daemon is also cheep and not to bad at CC. I would use them in the same manner as the spawn but they need to be summoned so they may not be the most reliable unit but they will defiantly be the cheepest.

3) Defilers: I know you said "other than a defiler" but in the new codex Defilers will be a little more CCish so they may prove a better option.

4) Thousand Sons: With their new Involn. save, counterattacking Thousand Sons could be a way to deal with Harlies, however they would be better suited to shooting.
Still, if you have them in a position to assault the turn after the harlies assault then your opponent has two options, Hit and Run and then get shot up by the Thousand Sons in fallowing turn or get counter attacked by them.

Hope that helps.*
Old 18 Aug 2007, 14:23   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deneris
I know my Eldar-playing buddy is getting a squad of these nasties together... Any thoughts on how to kill them before they kill my Chaos lads?

Deneris,

Simple: Speed + Template = Dead Harlie. Examples: CSM sqaud with Flamers mounted in a rhino, Slanneshi Doom Siren Squad mounted in a Rhino, Raptors with 2 - 3 Flamers, Chaos attack Bikes with 1 - 2 flamers.
The big danger with harliquinns is that they cannot be shot effectively beyond a range of about 12" (Due to their Shadow Seers), and have a stupidly high initiative paired with rending. (Harlie Kiss) Further T3 and a 5+ invul save is lousy defence agains the humble flamer/doom siren. Your opponent, if he follows strandard Harlie doctrine, will try to stop about 14" from your line to set up for his next assault move. A speedy Template attack will allow your to nip this in the bud.
I will have to disagree with my collegue above in this case: Spawn and Daemons are fodder for the Harliquinns unless they are used in overwheling and expensive numbers. Harliquinnes eat defilers for breakfast with rending, and cannot be shot at until it's too late. The K-Son tactic might work, especially combined with Gift of Chaos and a hidden powerfist on the sorcerer, but again this is quite an investment as far as resources. (Though if the K-Son squad was rhino/land raider mounted it could roll up point blank and simply shoot the harlies to death, perhaps augmented by a "Winds of Chaos" spell... > )

Just my .02,
Ged

[glow=purple,2,300]Speaker for the Keeper of Secrets - The Cult of Slannesh[/glow]

-Craftworld Paragon's Rune Sign
GedofParagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Aug 2007, 01:20   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inquisitor Sian Kytonus (Ged)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deneris

Deneris,

Simple: Speed + Template = Dead Harlie. Examples: CSM sqaud with Flamers mounted in a rhino, Slanneshi Doom Siren Squad mounted in a Rhino, Raptors with 2 - 3 Flamers, Chaos attack Bikes with 1 - 2 flamers.
The big danger with harliquinns is that they cannot be shot effectively beyond a range of about 12" (Due to their Shadow Seers), and have a stupidly high initiative paired with rending. (Harlie Kiss) Further T3 and a 5+ invul save is lousy defence agains the humble flamer/doom siren. Your opponent, if he follows strandard Harlie doctrine, will try to stop about 14" from your line to set up for his next assault move. A speedy Template attack will allow your to nip this in the bud.
I will have to disagree with my collegue above in this case: Spawn and Daemons are fodder for the Harliquinns unless they are used in overwheling and expensive numbers. Harliquinnes eat defilers for breakfast with rending, and cannot be shot at until it's too late. The K-Son tactic might work, especially combined with Gift of Chaos and a hidden powerfist on the sorcerer, but again this is quite an investment as far as resources. (Though if the K-Son squad was rhino/land raider mounted it could roll up point blank and simply shoot the harlies to death, perhaps augmented by a "Winds of Chaos" spell... > )

Just my .02,
Ged
My "bad" for not specifying my forces beforehand- I'll be playing Thousand Sons (As per "old" Codex, for at least this weekend). I assume dropping a squad of Flamers near the Harleys and hoping 27 S5 shots are enough to sort them out MIGHT work? Or go for the Rubrics in a can theory?

[br]

[br]
Old 19 Aug 2007, 01:45   #5 (permalink)
Aun
Shas'El

Quote:
assume dropping a squad of Flamers near the Harleys and hoping 27 S5 shots are enough to sort them out MIGHT work?
YES!!! Flamers are a great solution to just about any problem short of a land raider. Use them while you've got them.
Old 19 Aug 2007, 11:43   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by E7 (Aun)
Quote:
assume dropping a squad of Flamers near the Harleys and hoping 27 S5 shots are enough to sort them out MIGHT work?
YES!!! Flamers are a great solution to just about any problem short of a land raider. Use them while you've got them.
Amen to that. I think it was my use of Flamers on his 'concealed' Guardian squads that led him to getting the Harleys. I'll miss the heavy bolters... but the higher strength/toughness will be a boon to my assault phases...

[br]

[br]
Old 20 Aug 2007, 21:49   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to zanathid

a nice way would be to use nothing but noise marines all armed with sonic blasters .... 2 oh look i get 60 shots from this one squad... ;D "

anther would be just mobb them with a bombardment of cultists!! or just use auto-canon havocs!! they cut through pritty much everythin!
zanathid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Aug 2007, 01:19   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by zanathid, 1st prime of prospero
a nice way would be to use nothing but noise marines all armed with sonic blasters .... 2 oh look i get 60 shots from this one squad... ;D "

anther would be just mobb them with a bombardment of cultists!! or just use auto-canon havocs!! they cut through pritty much everythin!
Now how Tzeencthian is all that? I'd rather just turn one or ywo Harleys into Spawn and let them sort it all out

[br]

[br]
Old 21 Aug 2007, 05:36   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

we'll have our solution to Harlies in about 1 week: Vindicators ^-^. With that S9 template goodness, these heavy hitters will rip those pansies to smithereens. You have to get close because of those pesky Shadow seers, so that may be a problem. I could imagine our brand spanking new infiltrating chosen with 5 meltas doing the trick....

[size=99pt]1000 POSTS ^_^[/size]

[img width=407 height=650]http://i25.tinypic.com/28jcqwj.jpg[/img]
Sitarangi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Aug 2007, 01:47   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to korik1

I just wrote a fair sized post about threats to Harlequins in the Eldar board, here's the thread:

http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=52072.0

Hope that helps.

Everyone is normal until you get to know them!

korik1 is offline   Reply With Quote