Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

New Codex Test Drive
Old 15 Aug 2007, 02:43   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default New Codex Test Drive

Well I couldn't wait. So I whipped up an army using the new codex and headed down to the shop for game night. Ended up playing a good old fashioned 2k 1on1 Recon game vs a great Dark Angel player.

My list looked something like this

-Daemon Prince with wings and Warptime.
-Sorceror with jump pack and the evil, evil Lash of Submission (I just had to try it out)
-9 Thousand Sons with Personal Icon. Sorceror with Bolt of Change and melta bombs
-10 chaos marines with Icon of Chaos Glory. Plasma Gun and Missile Launcher
-2 squads of 8 plague marines with Pfist champs, 2 plasma guns, and rhinos
-8 Raptors with a meltagun, Pfist champ and icon of khorne
-1 Spawn (I had 40 something pts to kill, plus I thought it would be fun)
-8 havocs with 4 heavy bolters and Icon of Chaos Glory
-2 independant obliterators

His list.

-Belial with Storm Bolter/Sword of Silence
-5 CC termies with a cyclone launcher and that banner of +1 attack
-Assault Cannon Dreadnought
-2 10 man Lascannon/Plasma squads split into combat squads
-6 Ravenwing Bikers with Pfist sarge
-2 Landspeeder tornados (1 HB/AC, 1 MM/AC)
-10 man assault squad with 2 plasma pistols and Pfist sarge
-10 devastators with 2 heavy bolters and 2 plasma cannons. Split into combat squads
-Whirlwind

Plague marines, daemon prince, sorceror, spawn and raptors all deployed on a flank using the rhinos as a shield. The havocs, ksons and chaos marine squad and obies deploy in a nice lil firebase toward the centre. I cleverly used the obies to spread out my deployment and so placed my main line out of sight of half his devastators and a bunch of tac marines. He used his biker's scout move to get behind some woods. I rolled choice of turn and, wanting to get a lil momentum going, took it

So my plague marines hopped into their rhinos, moved their full 12" and popped smoke. The raptors had to stick their noses out a bit as did the sorceror, who was trying to get the plasma devastors to do something stupid. Unfortunatel he wound up being out of range. The daemon prince kicked in Warptime just in case and I fried a few marines from his tac squads. Everyone passed their tests and I waited for the termies to come down.

The termies dropped in into some woods next to the ravenwing (right near my troops). Assault marines moved up in support of the termie. Their teleport homers having done their job, the ravenwing sped up to attack my raptors. Speeders flew up a flank with and got a bead on the prince, but opted to fire on the rhinos instead (along with the termies and whatever else could see). When the dust cleared 1 was destroyed and the other was basically just an armoued box (immobile+weapon destroyed). Whirlwind pasted a havoc, but they passed their pinning check. Couple ksons got blown away as did a few raptors. He charge into the raptors with the bikes, killed 1, but the Pfist champ smacked 4 of his men out of the saddle.

My second turn saw my daemon prince recasting warp time and flying off the attack the assault marines. The spawn wandered over toward the termies in the woods. 1 plague marine squad (the non entagled one) hopped out of their transport and gunned down a pair of termies. To add insult to injury I managed to move them 8" away from my line with Lash of Submission, this meant that the only thing they would be able to charge in their next turn was a big bad daemon prince. Speaking of the prince he charged in, butchered 3 assault marines, including their pfist sarge. Spawn charged into the Ravenwing, who failed to kill any raptors and were torn apart for their trouble. I used my massacre move to ensure that those termie's only option for charging would be the prince. Other than that I gunned down a few more marines including a couple from the plasma devastors.

Well I was right. He charged my daemon prince. The dreadnought lumbered in the general direction of the Ksons, who lost a few more men. Speeders came around the rhino walls and reduced the raptors to just the champ. Oh and a plague marine got melta-ed. In the big fight Belial did nothing to the prince, who ignored the punk stabbing him and layed into the termies. The happy lil grin on my face caused by wounding with all my attacks was wiped off my face when he rolled 4 successful invulnerables! Adding insult to injury he slashed two wounds onto my prince! Oh the indignity!

So my turn 3. Fed up with the annoying speeders I moved the Plague marines into rapid fire range. The spawn idiotically ambled off in their direction as well. The Sorceror decided it would be a good idea and not to be outdone by a lackey of Slaanesh, the raptor champion assumed his best superman pose and flew off toward the combat as well. Predictably the plague marines torn the speeders apart and confused the hell out of the spawn who though he was about to smash something. Other than that I pegged another marine or two from the tac squads, but nothing really impressive. As for the ksons I confidently rolled my dice to back out of it's charge range, and was horrified to see a 2. Oh boy... Glad the sorceror picked up some melta bombs for just that situation. Then the rest of my boys failed miserably to kill the dread. Combat. The champ must've flown right into a chainsword and died before he could attack. The sorceror laughed at him and killed an assault marine. Belial put a wound on the daemon price while he ripped a pair of termies in half. Unfortunately for me the survivor managed to off the prince! DOH! Combat was actually drawn, so he piled in to kill my sorceror.

His turn. He realizes that the obie is heading away from the split 5 man tac squad (with plasma) and if he wants that gun to do anything he's gonna have to start moving. So the 5 of them start their run for the end zone! He lands a whirlwing shot on a plague marine unit and kills 1. Dreadnought lumbers just within charge range of the ksons. Smartly, he opts not to shoot at them (fearing I might just remove models within 6") and goes after my obliterators. Let's just say they didn't last the turn, ok? So the dreadnought piled in and killed a couple ksons. Didn't manage anything back and passed my no retreat saves. Belial attacks my sorceror and wounds him. With an evil grin I attack Belial. 1 wound slips through his invulnerable. With a flourish I roll my psychic check to force weapon him to death... And I rolled an 11. GAH! You stupid sorceror! Good news is he didn't die and the combat was somehow drawn yet again.

My turn 4. SAVE THE SORCEROR! Plague Marines and Spawn shuffle into the combat. More shooting. One of the 5 man split squads with the plasma goes down (he had cunninly positioned the lascannon elements as well as the plasma devs out of range of my heavy bolters). Ok shooting is boring, combat time. Dreadnough squishes another kson. Nothing in return. I pass my no retreat saves. Now the interesting fight. Belial and the sorceror trade wounds, but this time the dumb sorceror doesnt blow it and kills the deathwing master. Unfortunately that damned termie racked up another kill by ramming his lightning claw into the sorcerors spine! Oh well, at least the plague marines got him. The spawn rolls a 6 for his attacks and hammers an assault marine to the floor. cunningly he removed the model that was ensuring my pfist champ his attacks. No other kills. He passes his morale check.

So in his turn he doesnt have too many options. The Heavy Bolter devvies try to position themselves a lil better for when/if the combat with the plague marines ends and the 5 guys with the plasma gun run just around the corner of a wood. Combat goes well this time Spawn rolled a 4, but did nothing. I manage to reduce the assault marines to just 3 models for the loss of 1 plague marine. Unfortunately, badly outnumbered, they still held! Nothing happens in the dreadnought fight.

Alright my turn 5. I peg a marine in the plas devvie squad. Plus I gun those punks making a run for my deployment zone down to 1 model. OI! No touchdown for you! Yay... Now combat. Dreadnought knocks the ksons down to the sorceror and 1 guy, nothing in return. Pass the No retreat saves. Zzzz. Thought there was good news in the other combat. Spawn only rolled a 3 this time (must be getting tired) but those dratted assault marines finally died! I use my masscare moves to get in close to a nicely angled hill, hoping to duck in behind it on my last turn and secure a large chunk of vps.

In his turn the squad with the plasma gun continue their suicide mission while he knocks one of the plague marine squads down to 3. Grrr... no longer a scoring unit! The Dreadnought does nothing, but I finally manage to attach a bomb to it and blow it sky high! YIPPEE!

My turn 6. The (scoring unit) plague marines roll just high enough to get 4 models out of sight and were also out of range of his whirlwind, guaranteeing me over 250 extra vps ;D. The other unit, no longer useful for mission objectives, runs into rapid fire range with the spawn alongside. The gun down a marine without losing anyone to overheating. The ksons try to kill the last guy from the tac squad, but fail miserably. Krak missile from CSM squad? Nope. Plasma? Nope. Havocs? Still no? At this point we named him "Tony Montana" and fired the only bolter in range from the havocs at him. Of course that killed him! The Spawn runs into combat, takes a wound, rolls a 2 for it's attacks (yup getting tired), does nothing, then falls over dead from No Retreat wounds :

His turn was just a matter of mopping up unit survivors and scoring what VPs he could. Last plague marines from one squad are blown away as are a couple chaos marines from the missile squad. I had made sure to keep the remaining ksons behind the wreck of his dreadnought so he couldn't plunk them. Time to total up vps

It ended up being one hell of a bloodbath. If it wasn't for the Plague Marines in his deployment zone it would've been a draw, but I ended up finishing ahead by about 300vps for a solid victory. The guy was a damn good opponent and both of us had some good laughs at our own (sometimes horrendous) dice rolling

Overall I was pretty impressed with the way things worked. Although the spawn only killed 1 model my opponent pretty much ignored it and it was fun to move around and roll for it's attacks. Definately not a unit to rely on, but good fun. The raptors were pretty dangerous with the Mark of Khorne although my pfist champ ended up doing most of the damage. The obies were really feeling the lack of Ballistic weapons, but I wasn't up against a horde army. The ksons were a bit of a let down actually. I didn't have the greatest luck with their bolters, but they weren't really in the best situation so I'm not gonna pass judgement on em. Didn't get alot of chances to use the fancy new Lash of Submission, but it has insane potential to cause trouble. The Daemon prince was only thwarted by timely saves from my opponent and Warptime is definately worth it. Finally, the plague marines were just awesome. I definately felt the difference their lowered I made, but the addition of Feel No Pain makes them insanely hard to shift with anything that doesn't ignore it
I'd hate to get on his bad side... >
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiwaz
Fishy has just proved to me that Canadians CAN be scary...
Fish Ead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Aug 2007, 12:37   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: New Codex Test Drive

Thanks for the interesting read.

This confirms a few of my feelings about the new rules. Obliterators are only a fraction of what they once were. I'd take their ballistic weapons over the multi-melta any day. Thousand Sons, like before, will probably work best in the context of a themed Thousand Sons army.

Otherwise, some of your choices are very similar to what I was thinking I'd go for - DP, sorcerer with lash, 2 x 8 plague marines in rhinos, and raptors.

Good to see the win. But I have to ask, why were you so reckless with your HQs? You wanted them in close combat with close combat termies?! I'm not surprised that neither of them survived it.

Keep us updated if you try out some more battles with a different set-up. Throw in some armed-to-the-teeth Chosen next time!
Chimerical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Aug 2007, 14:34   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimerical
Good to see the win. But I have to ask, why were you so reckless with your HQs? You wanted them in close combat with close combat termies?! I'm not surprised that neither of them survived it.
For one thing, they were in my way. The lash probably could've moved them around, but if I tried to go full steam ahead with the rest of my army at the same time one bad roll would've had the same result. Admittedly I underestimated the number of attacks he could put out with that banner of his, but if he hadn't been so lucky on his invulnerables the prince probably would've pulled it off. When I saw that they might actually kill my prince and survive I sent in the sorceror and the raptor champ to a) try to keep the prince alive by killing a few/diverting some attacks and b) to ensure the combat didn't end in my turn. Another thing was that I wanted to lock down that assault marine squad as well and the prince was the only one who could do it.
Quote:
Old 15 Aug 2007, 17:46   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to Abaddon the despoiler

I am suprized that you did not use the plasma cannon on the obliterators and can you tell me why you did not use a sc like Abaddon or Luicus or even Ahriman,
i mean you could have least use terminators, i am not trying to dis you its was a good battle but you could used some of the new toys. all in all good game ;D
Abaddon the despoiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Aug 2007, 19:11   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Oh, the obies used their plasma cannons, the kills from them were just included in the "dropped a couple marines" descriptions. He was getting about 50/50 cover save luck when the obies tried their new guns out, so the guns didn't prove too remarkable. As for using new stuff I tried out a fair bit, just wasnt room in the list for it all New psychic power on the prince, new psychic power on the sorceror, a spawn, the new ksons, 2 of the new plague marines and tested out the mark of khorne on the raptors
Quote:
Old 15 Aug 2007, 19:37   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Hadhfang

Sounds good, can't wait untill the 'dex comes out. ;D

I would like to know if you are able to take the possesed for a spin, It would be interesting to see ow they get on and whether it lives up to what the people playing paperhammer think.
Hadhfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Aug 2007, 20:04   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Grunt90 Send a message via MSN to Grunt90 Send a message via Yahoo to Grunt90

wait so how did you use the rules if the codex isnt out yet?

"Horn and hoof, power is there. Not feeble smoothskin, clumsy greenskin, wicked elf-swine. Gor is strong, Gor is true. Gor shall kill all, slay all for the gods!"

Beastlord Gorthor

Survivor of the 06' Battle Royale!
Grunt90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Aug 2007, 20:43   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Hadhfang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grunt90
wait so how did you use the rules if the codex isnt out yet?
Either he got the megaforce set and it arrived today or he borrowed it from his store.
Hadhfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Aug 2007, 02:17   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

So... based on the one squad you took, and having seen the codex... How well do you think an all Thousand Sons force would do? Did you take the AP 3 bolter upgrade?

[br]

[br]
Deneris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Aug 2007, 03:05   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

the AP3 bolters aren't an upgrade, they come with the ksons. My dice rolling wasn't too great with them, but I suspect they would also be better if I could get off a greater volume of fire (ie. getting to rapid fire range). An entire army of them wouldn't have very many models, but seeing as each sorceror could have (the now improved) bolt of change it definately looks to be a possibility. Only thing is watch out for dreadnoughts getting into combat. I got lucky
Quote: