Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

chaos vs orks
Old 05 Aug 2007, 16:55   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default chaos vs orks

I am playing a 40k chaos undivided army and i seem to always lose to my cousin who plays orks, i don't know what I'm doing wrong? so if anyone has any tactics they could show me i would greatly appreciate it thanks!
mrbig111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Aug 2007, 20:05   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Re: chaos vs orks

Well, it would be much easier for us if you were to tell more of what your and your cousin's armies are like and their play style.
Like do you try to get into melee instead of sitting back and shooting. Is your cousin's army a speed freak army or foot slogging heavy army etc...
What I do know about chaos and orks is that they will do better then you in melee for the most part but you could out shoot them via your long range weaponry while having your stronger melee units ready to counter charge him when he does get into melee.
zannal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Aug 2007, 20:56   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

All of my chaos marines are either khorne Zerk's or basic close combat chaos infantry, i think this is where i may be going wrong. i have a predator with all lascannons and an obliterator to shoot at his battlewagon and truks but he has a custom force field guy so it gets difficult to destroy his vehicles because he puts it out of line of sight and within 6 inches of all his transports. he has around 80 boys and 20 armoured dudes. { i think}
I'm also not sure what clan he is, also he puts the killa kans with the custom field guy so they are harder to kill. I have a 5 man squad of termies and a 5 man squad of raptors with 3 flamers but i don't put them in this battle .i also put a land raider in but i think I'm just wasting points! I have a bloodthirster but after like 1 or 2 turns he seems to always be alone in a horde of orks and dies shortly after!!! i have possessed guys and nurglings but I'm not really sure if i should include them against orks. hope u can help,thanks!!!
Old 05 Aug 2007, 23:19   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Ok, now note that I am a Tau player but I have the Ork and Chaos codex because I was still deciding which army to play so take my advice with a grain of salt because it hasn't been tried in battle.

Ok with that out of the way lets look at what you are fighting. From the sound of it he uses a lot of transports to get his boys to da fight. He is using the battle waggon to get his non trukk boyz over to your side quickly while having the killa Kans walk in front of his boyz that don't have a ride. Your main goal it seems is to take out his methods of transporting and also the guys that are screening his boyz. I would say replace your non Berserkers to have ether Auto cannons or heavy bolters to have a long range attack that could cut down the green tide before it its ya and have a good chance to take out his buggies an trukks because of their paper thin armor.

With your raptors you could use them to hide behind cover while waiting for his army to get closer to your main line, because seeing a large group of guys being hit with a flamer that doesn't give them any cover save is not pretty at all and you got 3 of em.

With the other parts of your army you probably don't want to put the Terminators into the force because while they are amazing in melee against most other armies, the Orks will tear them a new one like they were simply normal Marines because if their choppas. Your oblitator is an amazing unit in that it has a weapon for every thing the orks can toss at ya so you should keep it in.

Your predator could probably have it's side lascannons switched to heavy bolters or the main lascannon turned into a auto cannon while keeping the las cannon sponsoons. This is because when fighting the orks the only vehicle with heavy armor is his battle wagon and kanz, so with the TL-Lascannon and Heavy bolter setup you will almost always hit the battle wagon and if shooting the side of it you could hurt it with the heavy bolters. With the auto cannon and lascannon setup you have a better weapon to shoot his Kanz down because of the greater amount of shots in the air that could harm them.

If you really want to use the land raider then what you can do is dedicate it to khorne so you can run over the orks via tank shock and then pop out your Berserkers to wreck havoc on the poor orks that survive. You should be careful with this though because if the orks you are charging are Tank Bustaz, you can't tank shock them or if they have grenades that could harm your armor they could take out your big tank.

Now some quick things that you may know or not know, just making sure. You seem to have trouble with the Kustom Force Field providing cover for his vehicles. Be sure that both of you have read the FAQ for the orks because the KFF only will provide the cover to vehicles if they are half under the shield, so he will have to pack his vehicles pretty tight to get em the obscured target.

Humm, much more then I thought I was going to write. Basically when facing the orks you should take advantage of having better range weaponry and actually being able to hit the broad side of the barn. When he finally does get close you should charge in with your berserkers, to prevent him from getting ungodly amazing charges that orks get. You might want to see what other more experienced devotes to Chaos say though.
(edited to clean stuff up, I need to hire a proof reader)
(second ninja edit
Found probly what you are looking for on the Bolter and Chain sword site, an anti Ork list http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/i...owtopic=102187
Old 06 Aug 2007, 15:12   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Defilers are your best bet against Orks. Large Templates eliminate large masses of Ork infantry easily. Obliterators are cool because they can use the Missile Launcher(Frag Only) which is a template as well. Also speed is good to have against orks with Bikes, Raptors and or Furies. Bikes are great because they have higher toughness but its best to make sure they dont get into cc unless you used your Turbo boost for that Inv save. Raptors are best used at ambushing the enemy from places they cant easily get to, and hit and run the buggers(Dont forget to use Hit and Run at the end of your OPPONENT'S Assult Phase so you can fire on him next turn with your units that are in range(not raptors) then charge again with raptors. Furies are cool because they are only one point more than a basic troop and can move around swiftly, but only have a high Inv save, but still great for distracting and annoying.

With chaos against Ork, your best weapon is sure annoyance to your enemy. Force him to make decisions that will make him expose weaknesses and or put his units in places that give you an advantage. Also charge them first if you can because they will have a mass of hits against you if they do.

(I once fought an Ork Player who was a speed freak. He made the mistake of deploying 2 of his units next to the tanks to assult next round. Easily destroyed both vehicles, they were both blown up and took out at least 5 of the orks from both units. FUN~!)
Old 09 Aug 2007, 01:13   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

thanks guys it really worked i finally defeated my cousin!! I guess now he can't brag about being undefeated!!!
Old 09 Aug 2007, 01:46   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Nice to hear you finally beat him. If you got any more questions and such go ahead and ask away here.
Now I expect in the Ork forum a post along the lines of "How am I suppost to beat a Chaos army as Orks!?!"
Old 17 Aug 2007, 07:56   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Zannal, Eternaleverage, and Mrbig111,

I don't know if I ever got the chance to welcome you aboard, so: Welcome to the Chaos Board of Tau Online. I'll be your host for your stay in our balmy little part of the Eye of Terror. If you folks need anything plaese feel free to drop me a PM.

Now that the formalities are out of the way... +1 Karma to Zannal for his efforts to help a buddy out. It's good to see our corrupted brethern giving each other a leg-up against the Xenos and Loyalist Scum.

Death to the False Emperor,
Ged

[glow=purple,2,300]Speaker for the Keeper of Secrets - The Cult of Slannesh[/glow]

-Craftworld Paragon's Rune Sign
GedofParagon is offline   Reply With Quote