Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

The Chaos Codex Farewell Tour
Old 01 Aug 2007, 02:46   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default The Chaos Codex Farewell Tour

OK, this has already been going on for a few weeks, I just spaced out on posting about it. Anyway, over the next little while I will be playing with a number of varied chaos lists in order to give the codex a propper send off and use some units/items of wargear/devious combos for the last time. So I'll give a brief outline of what's happened so far. Hopefully I'll update this as more games are played. Each week will include the list I took and a brief summary of the game played

Week 1: Alpha Legion

Ran a 2000 pt list that looked something like this.

-Lord with flight, lightning claws, rune, spiky, mutation, aura, strength and infiltrate (I know evil)
-Sorceror with power weapon flight, Gift of Chaos, Warp Focus and infiltrate
-3 obies
-2 units with bolt pistols and CCWs meltaguns and champs. Infiltrating
-2 units with plasma guns. Infiltrating
-2 units of 16 cultists with champions. Assassins
-7 infiltrating raptors with meltagun and champ
-8 Tank Hunter Autocannon Havocs

Ended up playing a 1on1 game against a very infantry heavy guard player. He was a bit of a git, trying to claim that he didn't hear me say that I had attached my lord and sorceror to the raptor squad, then trying to snipe them out with a basilisk. Managed to infiltrate just inside 18" with the raptors and charge a huge conscript mob on turn 1. It blocked LoS to most of his heavy weapons, I moved in with the rest of my troops and started the slaughter. The rest of his force was distracted by the cultists, who got shot up badly, but hey, taking bullets is their job. He conceded on turn 3. Normally I would've felt bad about a game being that 1 sided, but this guy has a long history of being a punk, and that attempted lawyer ball right off the bat meant the gloves were off. My only regret is that I didn't get a chance to turn Ibram Gaunt (who he took) into a spawn >

Week 2: Daemon Heavy Black Legion

Another 2000 pointer, but this time in a massive 4on4 slam fest. I took a list like this. It was 2 marine armies (one had 3 vindicators!), a grey knight army and eldar on their side. We had a Space Wolf player, a Necron guy, a Speed Freak army and myself. Wierd teams, I know.

-Lord on Bike with lightning claw, rune, mutation, spiky, strength, aura
-Bloodthirster
-3 obies
-2 squads of 8 men with 2 plasma guns each and champs (one of which was a daemonvessel with daemonic chains. In rhinos.
-Squad with lascannon (I had extra pts)
-8 bloodletters
-2 units of 6 daemonettes
-Tank Hunter Autocannon Havocs

Of course I end up right across from the grey knight army! A grey knight army that included 3 terminator squads, a Grand master and Captain Stern (who's basically a 2 wound Grand Master). I tried hurling some daemons at them, but to no avail. My bloodletters and daemonettes ate some of his power armoured guys, but got butchered by the termies. And Sustained assault doesnt help you when you try to move your daemons back on through terrain and then only move 3" over 2 turns... >. The good news is the Lord and Bloodthirster tag-teamed and buthered an assault squad, 2 tac squads and a predator. Combined with the efforts of the space wolf player he completely collapsed the centre of their force. I feel kinda bad about not trying harder to set up a showdown between one of my big bad characters and a Grand Master, but I know how that would've went.

Week3: Thousand Sons

I had never used a Thousand Sons army before this week and got thrown in head first into a 2on2 2000pointer (each player). Was me and a Dark Angel guy (again with the wierd alliances) against Speed Freaks and 13th company. Oh and the 13th company player had Sternhammer, the limited edition special character from GD2003. This freak of nature gives a Wulfen unit Feel no Pain and requires Night Fight checks in order to see them! Eeep I took something like this

-Flying Lord with lightning claws, rune, mutation, spiky, strength, aura and teleport homer. Wind of Chaos psychic power.
-Lieutenant on disc of tzeentch with power weapon, aura, teleport homer and Wind of Chaos.
-9 Rubric Termies. Sorceror with Gift of Chaos and Warp Focus
-4 units of 9 thousand sons lead by a sorceror with Bolt of Change Teleport homer and a Thrall Wizard
Indirect Fire Defiler

We basically tried to hit the ork player as hard as we could while stalling the 13th company with my 2 wound walls of tar. It worked pretty well. I lost the defiler early on when the 13th co. player used the gate to tele a bunch of meltaguns over to it, but only blew off the battlecannon. So I shot the unit down to 2 models (a melta and a wolf guard) and charged the defiler on in. It completely flubs it's attacks and gets chainfisted to death. However over the rest of the game I only lost 1 thousand son squad to some bikers and the lieutenant to some deffkoptas. The termies were a little dissapointing, the sorceror failing to turn a wulfen OR sternhammer into a spawn. However they did throw out an impressive amount of combi bolter fire and made quite an impression when they showed up. In the end we pretty much butchered the ork army and took down sternhammer, his pets, that meltagunning Grey Slayer unit and a silly Rune Priest who accidentally teleported into his allies trukk! :funny:

Tune in next week, for more carnage and mayhem on the Chaos Codex Farewell Tour! (if I remember to update it that is!)

I'd hate to get on his bad side... >
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiwaz
Fishy has just proved to me that Canadians CAN be scary...
Fish Ead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Aug 2007, 02:59   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: The Chaos Codex Farewell Tour

Thats great, i've disasembled most of my DG and have begun working on my new armies.

[img width=407 height=650]http://i25.tinypic.com/28jcqwj.jpg[/img]
Sitarangi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Aug 2007, 10:05   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Glad your having fun with the codex before it's gone

I'm only sad that I've just finished painting my IW and now i'm probably gonna have to strip them and repaint them something else, depending on what the new codex is like...maybe word bearers...hmmm.
Firewarrior26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Aug 2007, 21:07   #4 (permalink)
Ethereal

I took mine out for a spin, and they lost badly. :P

Personally, the old codex really don't suit my style, and thus I am waiting for the new codex to make it more to my own taste.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emlyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT
They're an insane bunch of reptiles...
I wasn't asking about the moderating staff.
crisis_vyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Aug 2007, 21:14   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Ead
The termies were a little dissapointing, the sorceror failing to turn a wulfen OR sternhammer into a spawn. However they did throw out an impressive amount of combi bolter fire and made quite an impression when they showed up.
Hmmm... I was thinking of adding the new plastic termies to my Son's force as "a wall of tar" (With their rumoured 4+ invul) around my Termie Sorceror. Should I stick with this plan, or just get more of the "basic" marines?

[br]

[br]
Deneris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Aug 2007, 00:32   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Well I reckon the termies are going to be a bit weaker in the new book. 1 wound and a 4+ invulnerable according to rumours, or twice the wounds and the crux terminatus invulnerable. Only time the new ones will be tougher is if someone's hitting them with something str8 ap2 or nastier. However, the rubric termies are very expensive points wise. The newer termies apparently will be considerably cheaper to start with and even an icon of tzeentch will likely not even bring them close to their old pts cost. Plus you won't be restricted on weapon options any more!

So my answer for the new codex, based on the rumours we have, is probably. Cheaper, better options for weapons, but not as tough as the old Rubric versions. Termies can also add some nice variety into a force. I probably wouldn't use them EVERY game I played, but just spamming marines can be a real yawn.
Quote:
Old 02 Aug 2007, 02:04   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Ok... Next question. The Sons Termies you used- what bitz did they use to make them (I assume they weren't yours, as you wrote that you had never used 1k Sons before)? I'd be interested in getting a few ideas on how to "do" my eventual minions...

[br]

[br]
Deneris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Aug 2007, 05:15   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Just a number of different termie models I rounded up for this game. Some borrowed, some my own from my various armies. Nothing fancy, mostly just generic termies I managed to round up in order to get a unit that big running
Quote:
Old 02 Aug 2007, 13:50   #9 (permalink)
Ethereal

I'm going to give my daemonettes a proper send off - you know that month after the release that GW gives you the chance to keep using your old dex?

Im going to unleash my daemonettes on the army hoppers! >

Nice battles Fish 'ead. Just a few motnhs before orkses!! :funny:

And when did you gt your title? :huh:
Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Aug 2007, 18:30   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Got the title a few weeks back there SILK. And yeah, I'm pretty hyped about the potential of a green christmas.

Thinking of running an emperor's children list next. I've always wanted to mime playing a pipe organ while tank shocking people with my rhinos
Quote: