Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Picked up a FW Thousand Sons dread. Which of these two weapon options is best?
Old 23 Jul 2007, 02:06   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Picked up a FW Thousand Sons dread. Which of these two weapon options is best?

I have the parts to make it a Twin-Las/Power Claw dread, or Twin power claws. I like the idea of the Twin-las, as it gives me a longer range than a Bolt of Change. BUT my force tends to be weak in close combat (We ARE sorcerors, afterall...) and the Twin claws might be handy.

What do my fellow Walkers of the Path think?

(Fluff-wise, I was thinking the twin-claw dread could contain a bound Khornate daemon - Seems like a Tzeentchian thing to do > )

[br]

[br]
Deneris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jul 2007, 02:25   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to Socky
Default Re: Picked up a FW Thousand Sons dread. Which of these two weapon options is bes

One claw, one lasscannon. Best of both worlds. That's how i equiped mine.
Socky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jul 2007, 05:07   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Picked up a FW Thousand Sons dread. Which of these two weapon options is bes

Well Mutated hull, first off. Then definently either an TL autocannon or a Lassie, depending on what else you have in your army. Also a Dread CCW, remember Dreads pound in CC, as im sure you know... its somthing alot of T sons armies lack :P. You may want smokes in there to, for those unlucky 1 rolls on the first turn.

[img width=407 height=650]http://i25.tinypic.com/28jcqwj.jpg[/img]
Sitarangi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jul 2007, 06:39   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Picked up a FW Thousand Sons dread. Which of these two weapon options is best?

Will mutated hull be a viable choice with the 4th Edition codex release come September? I remember hearing something about vehicles losing the ability to take such an upgrade...
Frogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jul 2007, 06:56   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogger
Will mutated hull be a viable choice with the 4th Edition codex release come September? I remember hearing something about vehicles losing the ability to take such an upgrade...
Its gone, but thats still 2 months away. M Hull isnt really a thing you have to model.

[img width=407 height=650]http://i25.tinypic.com/28jcqwj.jpg[/img]
Sitarangi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jul 2007, 11:58   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Syphilis
Quote:
Its gone, but thats still 2 months away. M Hull isnt really a thing you have to model.
AND the 1kSons FW Dread has a nicely detailed sarcophagus- Perfect for claiming it's a Mutated Hull.

I was mainly thinking of the twin claws as my current Dread (Fire-support with PC and ML) went nuts on the first turn (Damn that roll of 1) and charged into two penitent engines... Ouch. I immobilzed one, and tore an arm off the other, but they still pounded my poor, frenzying nut-in-a-can.

Granted... with the TwinLas and Claw, he's a multi-tasker...

In any case, I can build most of the dread and watch this board before I attach the arms... ;D

[br]

[br]
Deneris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jul 2007, 17:42   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deneris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Syphilis
Quote:
AND the 1kSons FW Dread has a nicely detailed sarcophagus- Perfect for claiming it's a Mutated Hull.

I was mainly thinking of the twin claws as my current Dread (Fire-support with PC and ML) went nuts on the first turn (Damn that roll of 1) and charged into two penitent engines... Ouch. I immobilzed one, and tore an arm off the other, but they still pounded my poor, frenzying nut-in-a-can.

Granted... with the TwinLas and Claw, he's a multi-tasker...

In any case, I can build most of the dread and watch this board before I attach the arms... ;D
-This brings me to a question me and some friends have been mulling over... is there a good way to modify the Forge World Dreads so that you can change your armament options later on? We had talked about pinning the arms somehow, or maybe even mounting a nut and bolt inside the arm/body. Has someone already done this so I'm not reinventing the wheel?
dave_1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jul 2007, 18:22   #8 (permalink)
Anton

Default Re: Picked up a FW Thousand Sons dread. Which of these two weapon options is best?

Heya,

For the competitive Dreadnought, the Twin-Linked Lascannon is far superior, but it costs more in points. Whilst the Twin-Powerclaw option is cool, and rocks when you roll a "Blood Rage," but is not as practical and limits the Dreadnoughts ability.

The main weapon of choice for a Dreadnought is usually the Plasmacannon, with it's reliable M.E.Q killing power, and it's inability to overheat I can see no reason why someone would not want to take Plasma Cannon Arm, unless of course you choose your Dreadnoughts weapon configurations not because it's the most efficient, or "Killy," but because you like the look of it. The Twin-Linked Lascannon arm is probably the best choice for you, as you play the Thousand Sons Legion, and their Anti-Tank capability's are few and far between, so you need to capitalise on units like Predators and Dreadnoughts. Both configurations you've chose are good ones which represent what the Thousand Sons are lacking, so my suggestion is, is that why not take two Dreadnoughts? One with a Twin-Linked Lascannon and Powerclaw, and another with two Powerclaws?

One thing to always keep in mind about the Chaos Dreadnought is, is that it is effected by the Fire Frenzy chart, and that whilst at times it can turn the tide of battle and increase your Dreadnoughts efficiency twofold, it can also become a crippling disadvantage, as a Dreadnought you've configured for Shooting could get a "Blood Rage" and charge a unit that you didn't want to, which means you lose the ability to shoot in that turn, and that you could end up charging something real nasty (i.e. Carnifex's.)

Thanks.