Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Question about using a chaos lord to counter heavies
Old 20 Jul 2007, 15:03   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Question about using a chaos lord to counter heavies

I am new to all things chaos. I know a new dex is on the way, and lost and damned are out on the tournament level. I play friendly games and lost and damned is OK within our group. My Lost and damned list has anti infantry under control. I have a ton of mutants and some traitors with heavy stubbers and heavy bolters.I also have 3 leman russes from my armored company to back them up.
I am fuzzy on the chaos armory and wonder if the following set up is legal and if it might be a reliable tank hunter.
Chaos lord: Mark of tzeentch, bolt of change, combi melt, power fist, demonic flight, demonic mutation to support the conversion, and the tank hunter's skill. Is a Chainfist available to the chaos lord? I don't have my codex handy and the thought just came to me. Please let me know what you think, and feel free to suggest other configurations that would fill the anti-armor role. Thanks
Old 20 Jul 2007, 18:08   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Hadhfang
Default Re: Question about using a chaos lord to counter heavies

You can't have a veeran skill wiht the mark of Tzeentch, and a chainfist can only betaken with terminator armour, in whic case you cant have flight.

Other than that I ould consider taking some thralls so you get more shots iht your bolt of change.
Hadhfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Jul 2007, 19:50   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Thanks. I missed the part about veteran skills and marks.
A powerfist will do fine. What do you think of the combination of Flight, bolt of change, combimelt, and powerfist on a lord for tank hunting?
Old 21 Jul 2007, 04:55   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Ok, the best anti tank for LatD are rough riders with meltas, have them flank around your bulky core troops with support from your tanks. Quick, fast, lethal, and a great converison opportunity ^-^. As for HQs, I reccomend aspiring champs. LatD are blessed to have these guys, they offer a great way to boost both the power and leadership of those otherwise ho-hum mutant squads..... and are pretty cheap too.

If you were hellbent on having a tank hunting lord (be wary of lassies :P, the reason I would steer clear of it), I'd go with melta grenades, D speed, and a powerfist as must haves. If you wanted to pursue the MoT thing, a bunch of thralls and BoC as well. Tzeentch is my specialty (im sure you could tell ;D) but I think you may need to forgo D speed/D flight for those Thralls. Im not sure, may Aun or Hadhfang could probably clarify.

[glow=purple,2,300]EDIT: I didn't want to chime in with a one-line post, so I'm just adding to yours. ;D Oblitoerators make fine AT for the LatD as well. - Ged[/glow]

[img width=407 height=650]http://i25.tinypic.com/28jcqwj.jpg[/img]
Sitarangi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Jul 2007, 15:20   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Thanks guys. I hadn't considdered oblits, or rough riders. You have given me some interesting options to considder for countering armor that might allow me to use my HQ slot better.
Dealing with small fast attack units is also a problem maybe I could use the lord or a LT for that purpose.
I'm thinking flight, strength,mutation, Kai gun, powerweapon, for countering bikers and squads in rhinos.
Maybe furious charge to increase effectiveness against t5 targets on the charge.
or
Mark of slaaneh with Doom Siren powerweapon or lightning claw kai gun flight strength and mutation
Old 22 Jul 2007, 07:54   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to 33rd Sirican Redbacks

Personally for LATD rough riders Maruader Horsemen would look pretty cool, to make them look 41st millenium just strap some lasguns to thier saddles.
If you want a 'Tie over' army list try the Forgeworld Renegade Militia list in IA5 or IA6, It has some chaos marines but mainly its Guard with some Slightly Chaotic tendencies I think Anton and some other players have some neat lists and tips somewhere...
Im looking to get my mits on the Renegade Militia list can some one PM me the actual IA its in?
Old 23 Jul 2007, 01:57   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by greensmurf
Thanks guys. I hadn't considdered oblits, or rough riders. You have given me some interesting options to considder for countering armor that might allow me to use my HQ slot better.
Dealing with small fast attack units is also a problem maybe I could use the lord or a LT for that purpose.
I'm thinking flight, strength,mutation, Kai gun, powerweapon, for countering bikers and squads in rhinos.
Maybe furious charge to increase effectiveness against t5 targets on the charge.
or
Mark of slaaneh with Doom Siren powerweapon or lightning claw kai gun flight strength and mutation
Don't forget the Ether Lance- Quite handy, as it's an AP3 flamer AND a power weapon. In today's match, my Tzeentchian Lord managed to toast/chop an IG platoon (Command and 2 Squads) as well as the remains (7) of a Sister's squad.

(For dealing with tanks, a Combi-melta is quite good- Slagged a Russ with one today.)

Today's Lord: MoT, Termie armor, Daemonic Strength+ Essence, Ether Lance, Doom Bolt and 2 Hounds. He Deep-Struck into the heart of the IG, and they only managed to get one wound on him...

[br]

[br]
Deneris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jul 2007, 18:44   #8 (permalink)
Anton

Quote:
or
I wouldn't rely on a single "Uber" Character to take down Flanking Fast Units, because "Uber" Characters draw too much attention to themselves and they cost valuable points, and for what? One model.

Your best bet would be Rough Riders with Hunting Lances, they would work wonders against units like Assault Marines. Or Infiltrating Chaos Space Marines, or, go one step further and take infiltrating Plague Marines, T5, True-Grit and Fearless will make them hard to shift. Another option which, is not as efficient, could be a mounted Traitor Squad (or a Traitor Armored Fist Squad) and equip them with the appropriate weaponry you require.

Never rely on one model/character to "bring the pain." It's just too great a waste of points to counter what may only be 5 Assault Marines, yet Rough Riders with Hunting Lances would do a far superior job, at a cheaper price and easier to expend. There is more to winning with Chaos than Ghastly, Immortal, "Uber" powerful Characters.

Quote:
Thanks guys. I hadn't considdered oblits, or rough riders.
I speak for everyone when I say, Obliterators O.W.N. :rockon:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33rd Sirican Redbacks
If you want a 'Tie over' army list try the Forgeworld Renegade Militia list in IA5 or IA6, It has some chaos marines but mainly its Guard with some Slightly Chaotic tendencies I think Anton and some other players have some neat lists and tips somewhere...
Yep. I'll provide you with a link to the review I did about the IA5 Renegade Militia List: Link.

The IA5 Renegade Militia List is basically the Imperial Guard List with a few tweaks to make it more Chaotic. The Renegade Militia List is focused more on the Traitor Guardsmen side of the Minions of Chaos, rather than the Mutant side (which is what the LatD list focuses on.)