Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Some Cult-ural Issues - The Death of the Cult Threads
Old 17 Jul 2007, 07:16   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Some Cult-ural Issues - The Death of the Cult Threads

Daemon Princes, Chaos Lords, LTs, and Arch Fiends all,

During recent months it has been brought to my attention that a dread affliction has begun to sicken and weaken our beloved forum. This affliction has been made manifest in a titanic wash of spam, poor grammar, and bad posting habits in general.
Many sources have been cited as contributors to this growing epidemic, among them being our beloved Cult threads. Picture yourself as a first time visitor to the den of scum and villianry that is our Chaos board. You Click on one of the cult forums, fully prepared to enjoy a deep and meaningful discussion of the nuances of your army, and:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous new Chaos Player
I decided to look into starting a CSM army and one of the first things I noticed was how cluttered the page was and this was due to the Cult threads. I thought they would have some great insight on starting a specific army so I checked out the nurgle one. Pure spam.
Now I’m not picking on Lord Syphilis, and the Nurgle Cult Thread isn’t even the worst offender, but this was just and example of one of the more recent messages I have gotten complaining about the current state of the Chaos Board. I have done my best to defend the cult threads, and to promote them for their intended purpose of recruitment and tactica discussion, but the current “spammy” state of the forums in general are forcing me to adopt a more aggressive stance towards such things. As such, the Cult threads as we know them will soon be locked and transgressors in other threads will be severely dealt with.
As the leader of the Cult of Slannesh, and as a major contributor to said Cult, I am most aggrieved by this turn of events. In locking these threads I know that I will be cutting out a chunk of what makes our Chaos Board so much fun; and I will be locking away all of the Tactica that I have written; and the correspondence that I have shared with SILK, Luy22, and my other Slanneshi Brethren. :'( We will also be losing a useful resource in the digestion of the new Codex, as I have already seen the cult members chomping at the bit to begin assimilating the new ‘Dex into our existing knowledge base.
On that note: Be assured that we will be reopening a limited version of the Cults for this purpose with the launch of the new ‘Dex. Tactica discussion and article generation for inclusion in our permanent stickied topics will be encouraged and greatly rewarded. Be aware that these will not be like the current incarnation of the Cults however. Spam, poor posting habits, and breaches of forum etiquette will be deleted and the transgressors smote without mercy or remorse on my part. (This new Codex release is the biggest thing to happen to us in years, and I am taking it very seriously! > )
Role-play and general discussion will still have it’s place in the appropriate boards. The Challenge threads will still be welcome in the Role-Play board; general “razzing” and whatnot can still happen in the Enclave and via the Chat rooms; but they will no longer be welcome in our House. (By which I mean the chaos board)

Sites like Warseer and 40k Online are constantly beating us to the punch with the publication of new Tacticas, Product Releases, and Articles. NOW IS OUR TIME!!! We will be organized, we will be ready, and we will be able to be the ones first into the breach. WE WILL BE THE ONES who will break new ground and set the standard for the tactica articles for the 4th Ed. Codex: Chaos Space Marines. WE WILL BE THE ONES who will break new ground when the Daemon Codex is released. I am now not just your Moderator, but also in GW’s employ. The very second new information becomes available to the public I will have it here for you. (Though understand that because I want to keep my Job, anything that hasn’t been officially released will remain a rumor that I can neither confirm nor deny. Conflict of interest and all that… ) In this I am your humble servant, and am pleased to be of service.
I have seen what you are capable of. The Cult Leaders, their LTs, and their membership are all as sharp as a razors edge, and have the will to be the best. I am proud to be your moderator as we move into this exciting era for our beloved army. I am proud to be one of YOU, the Chaos Board Membership of Tau Online.

FOR THE GLORY OF CHAOS, AND THE VICTORY OF OUR DARK GODS!!!
What Say You?
Ged

[glow=purple,2,300]Speaker for the Keeper of Secrets - The Cult of Slannesh[/glow]

-Craftworld Paragon's Rune Sign
GedofParagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Jul 2007, 09:08   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default Re: Some Cult-ural Issues - The Death of the Cult Threads

*sigh* Shame that they just decended into babbling madness. But then again I m probably responsible for the vast majority of the babbling.

We got the tacticas down, we got the advice in, and I got some Karma ;D So theres no point in keeping them open if we have a new 'dex on the Horizon.
Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Jul 2007, 09:10   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Hadhfang

I think that this is for the best really. I noticed that the worst threads for spam seemed to be the Thousand sons, as it had a load of stuff on AP3 bolters that hadn't even come out yet and undivided thread, with certain members who seemed to blatantly disregard Anton's requests.

I don't know if you ever intend on opening the cult threads again, if not then it is a shame because the content produced was excellent in my opinion. If perhaps we had a seperate board for cult discussion then it would be easier to crack down on spam, and tactics and the like could all have their own smaller posts rather than having to wade through abour 30 pages.

But I guess for th eforeseeable future we will have a single chaos board for all this.

To those member who decided to spam up the threads and ignore all the warnings issued by us cult leaders I hope that you are happy with what you've done, because now there is no dedicated area for people who play a dedicated cult army to discuss it.

Now on to the second part of your post.

I for one will be with you Ged, Our knowledge united will be unmatched, Our tactics unbeatable, our armies shall stand first above all others, BY TZEENTCH I WILL SEE IT DONE!!!
Hadhfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Jul 2007, 09:14   #4 (permalink)
Anton

I'm inclined to agree Ged, because with the previous weeks I've almost exploded in anger due to the sheer ignorance of others who, lets say, looted the Undivided Cult mainly due to mine and Pfreck's clamp down on Rumour talk.

If the Cults have to be looked for the greater good of the Forum, then so be it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S I L K
We got the tacticas down, we got the advice in, and I got some Karma ;D So theres no point in keeping them open if we have a new 'dex on the Horizon.
Yup. And as I've Advance Ordered the Chaos Space Marine Army Box, expect to be bombarded with pictures, tactica's and reviews in August.

Inspiring stuff Ged, and you have my word that I will put myself out when I get my Daemonic Talons on that new Codex. Death to the False Emperor! Death to the weakling Imperium of Man!

Old 17 Jul 2007, 10:19   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Eh. we're Chaos. We adapt.

As long as we get to keep these swingin' sig-banner-things.
Old 17 Jul 2007, 15:00   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by S I L K
*sigh* Shame that they just decended into babbling madness.
Chaos? Descending into babbling madness? Unthinkable.

As one of the people who stopped reading the Chaos forum due to these huge and unreadable threads let me applaud this decision.
ArchHeretic Templar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Jul 2007, 15:45   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I'd have to agree. I like coming into the Chaos forum in the hopes of seeing some interesting tactical or fluff discussion, but I don't even bother opening those cult threads anymore. In fact, I find myself here less and less, basically just to check up on the codex rumours. And even those topics are 75% drivel.

I'd really like to see the Chaos section become a little more like the Eldar one, for example.

What'd be really nice would be more battle reports. To find a chaos army battling you have to look in the other sections, and, being in the other sections, it is usually the loser and is being played more or less incompetently.

The state things are in right now, I probably won't keep visiting once I get back to Uni next week... not until the new codex is released, anyway. Hopefully things will pick up thereabouts.
Chimerical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Jul 2007, 17:19   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Luy22 Send a message via MSN to Luy22

[quote]FOR THE GLORY OF CHAOS, AND THE VICTORY OF OUR DARK GODS!!![/quot]

Amen bruda.
Only then your life I will save
Luy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Jul 2007, 17:50   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Well, i'm sad. They did kind of fall in despair because were all so fidgity about the new dex and no one wants to start playing a race thats going to be replaced in 1 month. I was trying to make the nurgle thread just an open forum for all things nurgly (i.e. sigs, lists, and the whatnot). Some did ask for help wanting to start nurgle and list questions; I did my best to help as they came. I got oodles of Karma from it and did my best to help bring some life to the otherwise dull FoC forum. But don't worry, I'm waaay on top of the 4th ed. chaos tactica/nurgle lists, Warseer will never see us coming >.

P.S. Im still the Nurgle Lord of TO at heart.

- Lord Syph

*edit*, also because of the spammy and much more casual nature of the Cult threads, I did create the tactica/army list disscussion thread awhile back. This was geared more towards serious Nurgle buisness. So anon chaos player (and all nurgle players), I highly reccomend posting any lists or questions you have there. It has no Tzeentch/nurgle trash talk and is only for serious nurgle tatics. Feel free like giving it a long overdue bump.

urlhttp://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=41250.0

[img width=407 height=650]http://i25.tinypic.com/28jcqwj.jpg[/img]
Sitarangi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Jul 2007, 18:17   #10 (permalink)
Anton

Okay, so to improve the way I operate around the Chaos board, I will do the following:
  • Provide easy to read and understand Tactics & walkthrough's with the new Codex.
  • Some Top-Class Battle Reports, with kick arse graphics and in-depth background and tactics.
  • Try and help more people out, mainly with lists and how to go about them.
  • Provide a new "Beginners to Chaos" guide covering everything in the new Chaos Codex and Models.
  • Help as many newcomers to Chaos as I can, as best as I can.

These are only a few ideas as to how I'll improve my actions on the Chaos board, and how they will effect others. And I'll work hard to make the Chaos board one of the best boards on Tau Online and beyond.