Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Here's my problem...
Old 13 Jul 2007, 18:37   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Here's my problem...

Ok, so some of you know I'm planning on starting Deathguard when the new codex and models are released. Well, I was blissfully watching the weeks fly by until September when *BOOM* my (40K) life was thrown into upheaval when the GW release schedule was leaked. I can be fairly indecisive at times, but especially when it comes to choosing a 40k army. Now I'm tempted to do a Saim Hann based eldar army, which I've wanted to do for a long time, and the huge jetbike boxed set is calling my name. What does all this mean and why should you care? Well many of you probably stopped reading awhile ago but for those stuck with my rambling here's what I'm getting at: I want to make sure if I play Deathguard they will differ enough from my loyalist marine army.

So here are some of my concerns:

They're more or less the same.*braces for slap in the face* Granted DG has T5 and FNP but thats only the troops. How exciting will it be to field some more predators when I have several already in my SM army? Or how about terminators? They will have higher toughness but operate fairly similar to loyalist ones. Maybe some of you are saying, " Oh you fool, how wrong you are!" And maybe you're right but on paper I'm not seeing a whole lot of differences besides higher toughness. But that's why I need your input!

Now these are the things about them that really appeal to me:

I love zombies. Like alot. What could be cooler than to model a whole army of super powered zombies? Well not much. This is what mainly driving me to play DG, the aesthetics. Also, the daemons, spawn and other chaos stuff not available to loyalists. The new Chaos models are simply brilliant and since I'm as big a modeller and painter as am a gamer, getting my hands on these guys is very, very tempting.

Now I could probably do both armies. I'm selling my necromunda stuff simply because I rarely get to play 40k and I don't have time for side projects and this will leave me with a bunch of expendible cash. However, it comes back to the time issue, I could afford both armies but I really only have time for one. So convince me Deathguard is the right choice.

Cadaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Jul 2007, 18:53   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default Re: Here's my problem...

Well, you can always do a Raven-Plague?

Put tons of those Plague riders and watch as your enemis curse the name of T6 bikers!

As for zombies, you can always use them as Daemons.

So why not a Nurglite Daemonbomb? :P

They are fast, hey are tough, and they are good.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emlyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT
They're an insane bunch of reptiles...
I wasn't asking about the moderating staff.
crisis_vyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Jul 2007, 20:03   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Well, if do them I want to stick to the fluff, even if the new rules allow bikes for DG I wouldn't take them. Same with heavy weapons in squads. I'd also keep the squads at 7 even though taking more gets you the mark cheaper per model.

This is the army list I am planning:

Terminator Lord

x4 7 man PM squads

7 man terminator squad

14 daemons

2...maybe 7 spawn ;D

But I'm at a loss as to heavy support. Maybe a predator, a vindicator and a defiler.

If I do it I'd add a sorcerer, daeomn prince and GUO for variety. Oh, and a squad of power armor chosen and a power armor Lord. Possibly possessed, although I'm not too crazy about their rules.
Old 13 Jul 2007, 20:07   #4 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99 Skulls
Well, if do them I want to stick to the fluff, even if the new rules allow bikes for DG I wouldn't take them. Same with heavy weapons in squads. I'd also keep the squads at 7 even though taking more gets you the mark cheaper per model.

This is the army list I am planning:

Terminator Lord

x4 7 man PM squads

7 man terminator squad

14 daemons

2...maybe 7 spawn* ;D

But I'm at a loss as to heavy support. Maybe a predator, a vindicator and a defiler.

If I do it I'd add a sorcerer, daeomn prince and GUO for variety. Oh, and a squad of power armor chosen and a power armor Lord. Possibly possessed, although I'm not too crazy about their rules.
Well, havocs fin in the bill just fine as a heavy support. Just take either the 4 melta approach or the 4 plasma guns and 1 plasma pistol approach , all mounted on the humble rhino.

They dish out alot of pain in 12". You never see a whole squad of assault marines (for 5 plasma weapon variant)or a carnifex go whoosh( Melta gunners) in one turn* just like that. And they fit the fluff of the Death guard as well.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT
Old 13 Jul 2007, 20:44   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Oh yeah, I forgot about the havocs. My roommate has a bunch of the PM special weapons torsos that I've been trying to buy/trade but he won't budge at the moment. > They aren't even assembled an he plays IW's. :

I was also toying with the notion of a "plague wing" army. I figure if I had them led by Typhus it would be fairly fluffy to have loads of terminators. The other idea I has was a defiler and 2 vindicators which would be lots of nasty pie plates. However, all these options sound fun but I'm sure to hear cries of cheese. : But I am aiming to make this a 2,000 point tournament army so dirty tricks may be the right option. ;D I guess I'm coming up with all these slightly unconventional ideas to try make them differ from my loyalists.
Old 14 Jul 2007, 05:17   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Ok, so some of you know I'm planning on starting Deathguard when the new codex and models are released. Well, I was blissfully watching the weeks fly by until September when *BOOM* my (40K) life was thrown into upheaval when the GW release schedule was leaked. I can be fairly indecisive at times, but especially when it comes to choosing a 40k army. Now I'm tempted to do a Saim Hann based eldar army, which I've wanted to do for a long time, and the huge jetbike boxed set is calling my name. What does all this mean and why should you care? Well many of you probably stopped reading awhile ago but for those stuck with my rambling here's what I'm getting at: I want to make sure if I play Deathguard they will differ enough from my loyalist marine army.

So here are some of my concerns:

They're more or less the same.*braces for slap in the face* Granted DG has T5 and FNP but thats only the troops. How exciting will it be to field some more predators when I have several already in my SM army? Or how about terminators? They will have higher toughness but operate fairly similar to loyalist ones. Maybe some of you are saying, " Oh you fool, how wrong you are!" And maybe you're right but on paper I'm not seeing a whole lot of differences besides higher toughness. But that's why I need your input!

Now these are the things about them that really appeal to me:

I love zombies. Like alot. What could be cooler than to model a whole army of super powered zombies? Well not much. This is what mainly driving me to play DG, the aesthetics. Also, the daemons, spawn and other chaos stuff not available to loyalists. The new Chaos models are simply brilliant and since I'm as big a modeller and painter as am a gamer, getting my hands on these guys is very, very tempting.

Now I could probably do both armies. I'm selling my necromunda stuff simply because I rarely get to play 40k and I don't have time for side projects and this will leave me with a bunch of expendible cash. However, it comes back to the time issue, I could afford both armies but I really only have time for one. So convince me Deathguard is the right choice.
I know how you feel, however, I'm just toying around with 'un' nurgly ideas. Currently I'm planning on using bikes with meltas as anti-tank and vindicators as a way of clearing the path for raptors to move in. Fluff wise, its an offshoot of the Deathguard called the Pox Knights. They have their own combat doctrine called Malignant Cancer, where instead of using infantry in medium range combat, they utilize rapid speed to crush the foes in close combat while shrugging off small arms fire as they get close.

Now CSMs are still space marines, so don't think theirs a world of difference. Just look for the chaosy areas and focus on them such as Oblits, Possessed, demons, spawns, and sorcerers. Don't have a vanilla CSM army with nothing but a lord, CSMs, and preds puts you no better than their puny SMurf cousins.

As for the plague wing, I've playtesting some of my special variants. I never had alot of success, the most notably was the Plaguehammer (where you have 1 squad of tooled termies all with combi meltas and you plop them right next to the most important enemy character and fire away >). However, theres just to much in any 'wing' army that can go wrong so I do not reccomend them.

[img width=407 height=650]http://i25.tinypic.com/28jcqwj.jpg[/img]
Sitarangi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Jul 2007, 07:01   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Oh yeah, I forgot about the havocs. My roommate has a bunch of the PM special weapons torsos that I've been trying to buy/trade but he won't budge at the moment. > They aren't even assembled an he plays IW's. :

I was also toying with the notion of a "plague wing" army. I figure if I had them led by Typhus it would be fairly fluffy to have loads of terminators. The other idea I has was a defiler and 2 vindicators which would be lots of nasty pie plates. However, all these options sound fun but I'm sure to hear cries of cheese. : But I am aiming to make this a 2,000 point tournament army so dirty tricks may be the right option. ;D I guess I'm coming up with all these slightly unconventional ideas to try make them differ from my loyalists.
Plaguewing.......the one where all your stuff are either deepstriking or summoned on the able. For me, they are not really a effective army as once you screwed up, you will have alot of dead termies and that in itself is not good.

With the all-infiltration becoming a dodo, I was also forced to abandon the fluff where they come out from the ground to attack their enemies. But you can always make a firebase Nurgle army, as it is fluffy and also very hard to gun down.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT
Old 14 Jul 2007, 08:05   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Just a heads up, the Nurgle bikers will be Toughness 5(6), so S10 can still Insta Kill them.
Old 14 Jul 2007, 16:43   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by byteboy
Just a heads up, the Nurgle bikers will be Toughness 5(6), so S10 can still Insta Kill them.
But S8 cant for a change, so we don't need to worry about all those pesky MEQs anymore.

[img width=407 height=650]http://i25.tinypic.com/28jcqwj.jpg[/img]
Sitarangi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Jul 2007, 16:50   #10 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Syphilis
Quote:
Originally Posted by byteboy
But S8 cant for a change, so we don't need to worry about all those pesky MEQs anymore.
So is the ubiquitous lascannon. Anything that could instakill a marine will be less nasty to a death guard biker, perhaps even death guard in general.

Besides, not alot of armies stack S10, and even for those that do, their S10 weapons will be limited.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT