Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Possessed
Old 04 Jul 2007, 00:02   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via MSN to NinjaFerret
Default Possessed

After reading a bit into my chaos book I came across a question thats bothering me.

If I take a unit of possessed and give them a mark of tzeentch. What does their weaponry consist of?

Since Chaos marines with the mark of Tzeentch can only have bolters and they are possessed chaos marines. Possessed start with a Bolt pistol and a close combat weapon.

Under the weapon restrictions it only mentions Chosen and chaos marines. Do possessed fall under the chaos marines restriction of weapons?
NinjaFerret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Jul 2007, 00:11   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Possessed

They're Elites, so I assume they're Sorcerers.

With Bolt Pistol+ CCW.
Old 04 Jul 2007, 01:57   #3 (permalink)
Aun
Shas'El

Possessed just count as sorcerers and can change their weapon options like normal, so their weaponry does not change.

I would advise strongly against Tzeentchian Possessed however because their points cost is horrendous.
Old 04 Jul 2007, 02:03   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

What does a sorcerer have to do with their weapon changes? It just means they get to pick from psychic powers.

The aspiring champ is the only ones out of the chaos space marines who can change their weapons. Since possessed can only have one aspiring champ.

This is my mind thinking. Im not trying to argue but this is how my mind thinks. If you can tell me the page or quote where it says that sorcerers can change their weapons not just aspiring champs. I'll take your word for it.
Old 04 Jul 2007, 02:16   #5 (permalink)
Aun
Shas'El

My bad, they can only select from the Psychic Powers and Equipment section of the armoury. But the Aspiring Champ. can change weapons as normal.
Hope that helps.
Old 04 Jul 2007, 02:27   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to 33rd Sirican Redbacks

Doom bolt and bolt of change are better than most practical weapons, my mate fields possessed with flight and bolt of change (or doom bolt vs my guard) and flight they absolutely infuriate my chaos and guard armies, but get owned by my 20 odd assault marines and chaplain with jump pack.
Also chosen of tzeentch that arent champions can take all the normal guns (lascannons etc) but dont get tank hunters
Old 04 Jul 2007, 02:29   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Death-Merchant

i believe that in the Tzeentch section it says that possesed are counted in with independant characters. which makes them sorcerers which removes the stand equipment only limitation
Death-Merchant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Jul 2007, 02:31   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by E7 (Aun)

My bad, they can only select from the Psychic Powers and Equipment section of the armoury. But the Aspiring Champ. can change weapons as normal.
Hope that helps.
It does a little. But what I'm looking for is if you give them the mark of tzeentch would they work like chosen or Chaos space marines for their weapon selection. Basically do Possessed space marines have a bolt pistol and a Close combat weapon or a bolter? They are called Possessed Chaos space marines in their unit selection. But Chosen are just that. Chosen. Not Chosen chaos space marines.

Since they don't mention what weapon limits possessed have. They only mention Chaos space marines and chosen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33rd Sirican Redbacks
Doom bolt and bolt of change are better than most practical weapons, my mate fields possessed with flight and bolt of change (or doom bolt vs my guard) and flight they absolutely infuriate my chaos and guard armies, but get owned by my 20 odd assault marines and chaplain with jump pack.
Also chosen of tzeentch that arent champions can take all the normal guns (lascannons etc) but dont get tank hunters
I know chosen can. but thats not what im asking. Im asking about possessed space marines.
If i gave them the mark would their Bolt pistols and CC weapons become bolters?

Also your friends way of doing it is EXPENSIVE. Very expensive.

Quote:
i believe that in the Tzeentch section it says that possesed are counted in with independant characters. which makes them sorcerers which removes the stand equipment only limitation
Giving possessed the mark only makes them sorcerers. Which means they can select from the army and psychic powers and equipment. Not from the weapons list.
Old 04 Jul 2007, 02:45   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX

NinjaFerret,

You've come across one of the grey areas that GW hasn't attempted or bothered to correct in years. Possessed become sorcerers as the book mentions, so they can get psychic powers and equipment within the normal limits. They are not mentioned however at all in terms of weapon upgrades. But note: Posssessed cannot have bolters. Their profile states bolt pistol and ccw. They cannot change to a bolter. They don't even have that option. The chaos marines on the other hand, can have a bolter, pistol and/or ccw in various combinations--they are required to take the bolter when marked. Possessed don't have weapon options, at all. Chosen and Chaos marines do have weapon options. So the grey area is more of a `we didn't need to make an exception, they lack the ability to have options anwyays' kind of thing. The only `options' possessed have are the unit's upgrades (not weapons).

Your possessed will always have a bolt pistol & ccw, or the appropriate daemonic gift as you upgrade or get a special upgrade from a Mark (like Khorne for example).

-- Though I wouldn't put much effort into this. The new codex will no doubt totally swamp this whole setup and how you mark in regards to this.

Cheers,
Old 04 Jul 2007, 02:53   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I know I shouldn't look to deeply into it. But it bothers me a bit. Personally I would put them under the chaos space marine weapon limitations that the Tzeentch have since the codex calls them chaos space marines. Since you have to follow the weapon selection through the mark you have.

But by your standing would that mean possessed with the mark of khorne can only ever have a bolt pistol and CC weapon(or Khornite chain axe). Since they dont have the option of using a plasma pistol?