Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

New to Chaos? Building up your Legion help here!
Old 27 Jun 2007, 13:15   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default New to Chaos? Building up your Legion help here!

Okay with the new codex comming out and the amount of new Chaos players I see comming here I thought id make a thread that explains not why and whats good about chaos but how to find out for yourself whats good.

Okay well with the new codex comming on the horizon and lots of new goodies comming our way, its about time you join chaos I hear you say. First of good choice, second where do you begin?

Well if your first army is going to be Chaos Space Marines then this thread will mean allot more to you than players who know how they like playing a force but still please read.

So your in the Local Games Workshop and you are surrounded by shiny boxes of new Chaos models what do you do?
Grab the coolest looking models! You go strait to the HQ boxset (if you know what type of lord you want if not leave this for now) and then pick up one or two troop boxes.

Now your at home you have assembled models to take up a lord place and two minimum troop choices. Now here is where you find out what way your force is going, instead of deciding ohh I'm playing Iron Warriors I need lots of Heavy Weapons and tanks or I'm playing Thosand Sons lets get with the AP3 bolter's. YOU TEST BATTLE!

Now you proxy anything your likely to come up against or what you think your want in your force. By proxy I mean this soda bottle is now a carniflex and that random guard model is now an Obliterator. You now see how well your force acts together seeing what tactics work for you.

For instance you play a few test battles against proxy csm to see where your force could flaw, now you realised your not one to keep a squad back shooting so that bolter squad troop choice is holding you back. Next match you go with a Close combat lord and two squads with bolt pistols and close combat weapons, and your enemy falls allot faster. So now you think about hmm what would cause me trouble now worried about heavy bolter's wiping out your squads you proxy a rhino or two this once again increases your win.

So now you are leaning towards Khorne so you now you proxy some berserker's and see how they play. Now once you have found a force you like playing, not one that wins all the time but one you ENJOY playing you can start thinking about how you are going to expand, what tactics will you use and yes finally what colours are you going to need to buy.

Now you have written up your first list and posted it here on the Forces of Chaos board and you have had people saying change this and keep this. Remember some players may have played longer but the end decision is your as not everyone can play the same.

Now I hope this helps you new players
and I hope other players here can add to this to help you start of the best way possible.

Thanks for reading
LeeStar
Old 27 Jun 2007, 13:28   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to The General
Default Re: New to Chaos? Building up your Legion help here!

i play slaanesh... my strongest weapon is a blastmaster(s8) should i get a stronger weapons like in havoc squads or oblits now that i can take them???
Be Evil.
(\_/) this is bunny
(0.o) please copy and paste this into your sig and
'(__)' help him achieve world domination
The General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Jun 2007, 14:34   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by The General
i play slaanesh... my strongest weapon is a blastmaster(s8) should i get a stronger weapons like in havoc squads or oblits now that i can take them???
The General,

Why not have both?
Noise Marine Havoc Squad of DOOM: Noise Marines x 8 (8 CSM, 8 Mark of Slannesh, 4 Blastmasters, 4 Sonic Blasters, 8 Tank Hunters Vet Skillz) >
-You now have 4 big guns that can stike as Lascannons (S9) vs. Tanks when static, and then as heavy bolters vs. Infantry or multilasers vs. light/medium tanks on the move. You have a 1:1 ratio of SB to BM, so you don't lose any BM until you are below scoring anyway. For added fun mount in a Rhino to control Fire-lanes and add mobility. Best of all with Blastmasters becoming AP3 in august, you will have effective anti-MEQ as well.
-The real final answer is: What do you want really?

Thoughts?
Ged

[glow=purple,2,300]Speaker for the Keeper of Secrets - The Cult of Slannesh[/glow]

-Craftworld Paragon's Rune Sign
GedofParagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Jun 2007, 18:11   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

According to the rumors regarding the new Codex, Noise Marines will be troops choice only. Havocs will not have access to sonic weaponry, nor will they have access to veteran skills such as tank hunters. However both the doom siren and blastmaster will be AP3.

However the original question is valid. What kind of lists do you face most often?
Glon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jun 2007, 06:09   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Here is a guidline and list of what to see in a new DG army and what you should look for and maybe even consider buying

HQ:

Lord on Palanquin with a bike retinue. Im pumped for the lord, I have already looked into some skaven stuff and WFB stuff for conversion's sake. He is going to be the hard hitter in my army. He will soak up oodles of fire and dish alot and get into CC.

Greater Demon: Because he isn't a 'GUO' ill finally be able to create my giant worm conversion :P. He is big, nasty, and cheap. Use him to pummel in CC or simply as a distraction

Sorcerer: With that force weapon and the new rot power, ill send him into the bulky troops.

Elites:

Possessed: Im kind of ........................................... about them. Their a gamble, one I cannot afford in my army. However, they are worth their points and they are neat models. I might take them in >1500 pointers

Termies/chosen: Still expensive, because they lose the free Blight grenades and FNP they outcost their use. I've used them in CC my entire DG career. Time to pack up the Reaper auto cannons :'(

Dreads: They cant have icons :-\, so im not sure how that works for cult armies. I've always like them and used them, I may take 1-2 as my primary anti-tank.

Troops:

PMs w/ feel no pain, Blight grenades, T5? whats not to like?

Fast Attack:

We have gone from the army with literally no fast attack (minus rhinos :) to some great quality choices

Raptors: Deep striking T5 raptors, good fast CC greatness. Im taking 1-2 im not sure yet.

Bikes: T6, slap some meltas on these puppies and go tank hunting. Im definently taking some

Spawns: Expensive and overshadowed by better options. Still ok though.

Heavy:

Oblits: Good, useful, and MULTI-MELTAS!

Vindicators: Excellent medium range nastiness. I've have a thing for them, I may take one in my smaller games. There are better things to fill in those slots for larger games though.....

Preds: Solid decent tank, have nothing bad to say.

Land Raiders: Still Expensive (though a little cheap), still useless, without infernal machine its even less useless. Only use if it has a specific agenda (i.e. Plaguespear

Defiler: Still expensive, now has some CC potential, but thats not why you want that (you can take a dread with 2 CCWs for half the price). However, with up to 6 attacks s 10 attacks, it could be an ok alternative if you're stuck with the $60 model (not to mention it would care the klkn out of the opponent if that thing charged their ranks.

Havocs: According to rumors i've read, they can take heavy weapons. Ill always take them, use them to support footsloggers.

[img width=407 height=650]http://i25.tinypic.com/28jcqwj.jpg[/img]
Sitarangi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Jun 2007, 15:03   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inquisitor Sian Kytonus (Ged)
Quote:
The General,

Why not have both?
Noise Marine Havoc Squad of DOOM: Noise Marines x 8 (8 CSM, 8 Mark of Slannesh, 4 Blastmasters, 4 Sonic Blasters, 8 Tank Hunters Vet Skillz) >
-You now have 4 big guns that can stike as Lascannons (S9) vs. Tanks when static, and then as heavy bolters vs. Infantry or multilasers vs. light/medium tanks on the move. You have a 1:1 ratio of SB to BM, so you don't lose any BM until you are below scoring anyway. For added fun mount in a Rhino to control Fire-lanes and add mobility. Best of all with Blastmasters becoming AP3 in august, you will have effective anti-MEQ as well.

Thoughts?
Ged
i have been talking to one of my friends who says he is the fifth chaos god because he hardly ever loses(70w 1L 4D) he tells me that havocs are bad(plus they cant take sonic weaponry...) and that vehicles die too easy so i might have to go with obliteraters...(75 points and PLASMA CANNONS!!!) i might only do a undivided list with my 2-3 squads of noise marines as elites.. and run oblits..
Be Evil.
(\_/) this is bunny
Old 29 Jun 2007, 17:58   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

does ap3 really change much for blastmasters everywhere? Its already strength 8...

Is there somewhere to see these changes, or do we have to wait for the codex to come out?
AThomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Jun 2007, 18:11   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by AThomahawk
does ap3 really change much for blastmasters everywhere? Its already strength 8...

Is there somewhere to see these changes, or do we have to wait for the codex to come out?
i was replying to the quote about the jagged blade on the stock... sorry
Be Evil.
(\_/) this is bunny
Old 30 Jun 2007, 01:49   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
The General,

Why not have both?

Thoughts?
Ged
i have been talking to one of my friends who says he is the fifth chaos god because he hardly ever loses(70w 1L 4D) he tells me that havocs are bad(plus they cant take sonic weaponry...) and that vehicles die too easy so i might have to go with obliteraters...(75 points and PLASMA CANNONS!!!) i might only do a undivided list with my 2-3 squads of noise marines as elites.. and run oblits..
The General,

As a Chaos Veteran, the leader of [glow=purple,2,300]The Cult of Slannesh [/glow] and Chaos Board moderator here on TO, and now as a fledgeling employee at GW, (WOOT! I made it!!! ;D ) I can assure you that not only can Havocs be Noise Marines under the current rules set, but that they are some of the most devestating havocs around. Under the Coming rules set (TBR in September '07) they will no longer be able to be noise marines, that is true, but under the new rules your Noise Marines will count as troops choices even with an undivided lord. Either way you win! (See the Chaos Space Marines threads in the Rumors board for more information on that)
As to havocs being "bad", you have obviosly never gone against Chaos Havoc Squads with Autocannons (or Blastmasters...) and the Tank Hunters Vet Skill. Everything dies! Units being "good" or "bad" are reletive to the player. I have been told time and again that my gibbering horders (effectively nurglings) are "bad", but they consistently win battles for me.
Oblits are an interesting choice, and will become more powerful, and more fragile, in the coming 'Dex. I look forward to experimenting with them.

TTFN,
Ged

[glow=purple,2,300]Speaker for the Keeper of Secrets - The Cult of Slannesh[/glow]

-Craftworld Paragon's Rune Sign
GedofParagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Jul 2007, 18:35   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
The General,

Why not have both?

Thoughts?
Ged
The General,

As a Chaos Veteran, the leader of [glow=purple,2,300]The Cult of Slannesh [/glow] and Chaos Board moderator here on TO, and now as a fledgeling employee at GW, (WOOT! I made it!!! ;D ) I can assure you that not only can Havocs be Noise Marines under the current rules set, but that they are some of the most devestating havocs around. Under the Coming rules set (TBR in September '07) they will no longer be able to be noise marines, that is true, but under the new rules your Noise Marines will count as troops choices even with an undivided lord. Either way you win! (See the Chaos Space Marines threads in the Rumors board for more information on that)
As to havocs being "bad", you have obviosly never gone against Chaos Havoc Squads with Autocannons (or Blastmasters...) and the Tank Hunters Vet Skill. Everything dies! Units being "good" or "bad" are reletive to the player. I have been told time and again that my gibbering horders (effectively nurglings) are "bad", but they consistently win battles for me.
Oblits are an interesting choice, and will become more powerful, and more fragile, in the coming 'Dex. I look forward to experimenting with them.

TTFN,
Ged
apparantly you cant give havocs marks or sonic weaponry in the new codex.. so now i am out of idears..
Be Evil.
(\_/) this is bunny