Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Rhinos Tactica-Comments and Cult Options welcome!
Old 25 Jun 2007, 12:34   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Rhinos Tactica-Comments and Cult Options welcome!

Okay, so if the rumours of the new codex are to be believed, Infiltration is going the way of the veteran. So, Rhinos will become more important.

The Average Rhino is designed as a box on treads, with okayish armour and can carry 10 space marines. Now, this means you have 9 normal marines and a Champ. Your Rhino is equipped with a Combi-bolter, which is a Bolter whut re-rolls stuff. You should know this. Okay, so what is the Rhino for? What is its cargo? How long will it last?

WHAT IT IS FOR: When you're using a transport, you generally want the squad you're moving, to, well, Move. Which means an objective, choice cover(i.e a Bunker), or to get into CC with the enemy. Or, just to zip around.

Objectives: So, if you're going after something sitting out in the middle of the field, it would be a good idea to load up on some defensive upgrades:

Mutated hull: Okay, this is for some more protection from lower AP weapons, but an AP of 11 + 1 side and front isn't going to last forever. However, it's adequate. 3/5.

Extra Armour: Well, it protects you from getting crew shaken. kinda limited, but you'll be happy if it works. 2/5.

Dozer Blade: While not giving you armour or anything, it gives you a nice little boost if your objective is across terrain. And if you're lazy, you can call it Extra Armour.

Smoke Launcher: Nice overall, it's actually useful. Cover is important.

Dirge Caster: No, not misplaced. I'd say this is very useful especially if you're taking and holding. holding onto an Objective with a bunch of Fearless Bolter-toting marines and a hunk of cover is like removing Iron Warriors. You can't remove them without 100% Attrition. Add a Heavy Bolter to the Squad and add the power of the Havoc Launcher, you'll be fine. Or at least give them a hell of a repair bill if they get close. This is a great tactic against Footslogging armies, as even if your Marines are wiped out, then by that time your faster units should have caught up to replace them. It isn't perfect though, as a Vehicle Explodes! result could mess it all up. 4/5.

If you're moving into cover, I'd recommend on what you're planning to do with the Rhino afterwards. Do you want to keep it around, to provide cover-fire? or cart it off to pick up another squad? If so, A Dirge Caster will help to back up anyone under fire, or park it for cover, take it on a tank-shock run. It really depends on what kind of fire on what, or weather you need to babysit a CC Squad into cover.

Close Combat is really iffy, because unless you're parking, unloading, and moving out of cover, there's always a fragile moment where the transport or the marines could get ripped into shreds. Thus, you should decide which is more important: The Rhino or the marines. Obviously, the Marines. So, let them out at the back, so they won't get shot up too quickly. Really, look for cover, any cover. Smoke Launchers are good here, and it pays to know the distances between targets.

CARGO: So, up to ten marines, right? More likely, it's better to load marines with a specific purpose then your average 12-yr-old-random-black-legion-marines, so pick a job, and match it to a specific task. going for cover, to take down inbound heavies? Load up Bolters, Meltas, and Lascannon/Autocannon and move there. Taking a central objective? Go for ten marines, Bolters, Heavy Weapon. Lots of shots, backed with the Dirge Caster tactic, as discussed above. If you're moving for cc, then you need to decide between numbers or extras, like Teleport Homers or Icons for Daemons.

LIFE EXPECTANCY: Well, they're going into the wall of fire, so expect it to die. If you hug cover and can judge when it's gonna get shot at, then it should last at least 3 turns. But if you're a coward and keep it away from the hot-zones, then it's not worth taking.

In short, Rhinos are speedy little boxes for moving marines around. It's going to get shot at, so you should take care with where it goes.

I'm no expert, these are just things I've noticed.

If anyone can talk about Cult options, go ahead.

Old 25 Jun 2007, 15:08   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: Rhinos.

Just so you know, rumour has it that mutated hull is going the way of the dodo
I'd hate to get on his bad side... >
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiwaz
Fishy has just proved to me that Canadians CAN be scary...
Fish Ead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Jun 2007, 20:51   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Ead
Yeah, I know, I'm just using current stuff because Rhinos will still be around, so if the models' are still there, then so will be atleast some of the upgrades. You can't make a tactica on tactics that aren't out yet.
Old 26 Jun 2007, 16:15   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Destruction, Endless Devastation!
Quote:
Yeah, I know, I'm just using current stuff because Rhinos will still be around, so if the models' are still there, then so will be atleast some of the upgrades. You can't make a tactica on tactics that aren't out yet.
I know, but you mentioned the new codex doing away with infiltration (for the most part anyway), so I brought up something I'd heard that may affect things in the future as well
I'd hate to get on his bad side... >
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiwaz
Fishy has just proved to me that Canadians CAN be scary...
Fish Ead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jun 2007, 22:50   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Destruction, Endless Devastation!
Quote:
I know, but you mentioned the new codex doing away with infiltration (for the most part anyway), so I brought up something I'd heard that may affect things in the future as well
Good point, though I don't rate Mutated Hull too highly anyway.
Old 26 Jun 2007, 23:40   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Rhinos Tactica-Comments and Cult Options welcome!

BD_ED,

An excellent start (+1 Karma for your efforts), but what is good for the goose (Sister Sororitas) is good for the Gander (Chaos Space Marine) so I'd like to add the following exerpts from one of my previous Rhino Tactica articles.

The “Standard Rhino”: Rhino (Extra Armor, Dozer Blade, Smoke Launchers) – 63p. This configuration allows the Rhino to reach it’s full potential. Smoke Launchers can be used when the Rhino must cross open ground, and though the tank itself cannot fire when they pop, the transported Squad still can! The Dozer Blade means that your Rhino can almost ignore terrain. This is crucial to your both your rhino’s survival (a la Hull Down) and greatly enhances it’s battlefield presence (more on this in “Advanced Class” below) Extra Armor is another facet of this same gem. When using cover or smoke, the rhino has a 50% chance to shrug off penetrating hits, turning them into much more survivable glancing hits. All penetrating hits will stun a Rhino, as will one of the glance results, so being able to shrug this result off if crucial for an AV11 vehicle. All in all this “standard config.” Allows the Rhino to reach it’s full potential as the mobility enabling component of your weapon system.

STUPID RHINO TRICKS:
-Assassin Rush- A Rhino Squad with meltaguns or other anti-character weapons tankshocks the troops standing in front of an independent character, and places itself 1” away from the IC. Being that you are now 1” away, the IC (if T4 or less) is quickly reduced to ash as you pop the top hatch and burninate him.

-Rhino Range Sniping- Rhinos give normal squads the mobility of a Serephim squad, and it you’re good at estimating distances, you can use this mobility to position yourself to kill sections of a squad that you wish to remove in the shooting phase. If an enemy character (be it squad leader or IC) is hidden within an enemy squad, but is on the edge of it, you can position so only that model (or the least possible) are in range of your fireing. Your opponent is then required to remove casualties from only those models in range…

-Rhino Fortress- The WH list is very vulnerable to assault, and it’s limited counter-assault assets (such as Arco-Flagellants, Penitent Engines, and Sisters Repentia) tend to be very vulnerable to shooting. One of my favorite tactics is the Rhino Fortress. Using 3+ rhinos, you cordon off an area so that it cannot be hit by enemy assault troops, and so your counterassault assets are protected behind the vehicles. Meanwhile the Rhino Squads can fire from their improvised fortress to decimate the enemy ranks. It’s often best to place a high AV unit such as a Leman Russ or a land raider at the Apex of the fortress where it faces the enemy. This is a defensive version of the Spearhead.

-The Spearhead- This tactica is well documented in the stickied files, but is still worth mentioning. Using the above “Fortress” as an offensive line, your forces move up towards the enemy with your Counter-Assault assets inside the “pocket” between them. It’s best to “tip” the Spearhead with an AV13/14 vehicle such as a Predator, Leman Russ, or Land Raider. This will tend to draw fire away from the more vulnerable Rhinos. (I use a Stripped down Leman Russ (Extra Armor, Heavy Bolter) as my fire magnet…)

-Jumping Rhinos- Forests, hilltops, pyramids, there is no place that your rhino cannot go unless it is specifically classed as impassable terrain. This is my favorite of the stupid rhino tricks. Start them on top of buildings, run them up the sides of structures, crash through buildings, and drive up staircases. I have personally seen modern APCs and IVFs do this sort of thing in real life, and it makes for an interesting game on the tabletop too.

This is by no means an exhaustive list. What are some of your fave tricks with our stock APC?

To this I'd like to add that a Rhino is just as useful to you dead as it is alive. An empty rhino can create and destroy fire lane.

More on this in a bit,
Ged

[glow=purple,2,300]Speaker for the Keeper of Secrets - The Cult of Slannesh[/glow]

-Craftworld Paragon's Rune Sign
GedofParagon is offline   Reply With Quote