Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Eat My Dust, Mechanized Tzeentch Tactica
Old 18 Jun 2007, 22:03   #1 (permalink)
Aun
Shas'El

Default Eat My Dust, Mechanized Tzeentch Tactica

The more I play my Tzeentch army, the more I'm drawn into a more mechanized list. Mechanized Thousand Sons offers several things over a normal Thousand Sons list,
1) A faster way to get your Rubrics where they need to be.
2) A movable wall in the form of a rhino.
3) The ability to perform "Drive By" attacks with your A.C.

Tzeentch army's lend themselves well to mechanized lists because of their slow movement that makes rhinos much more attractive than normal options, their Slow and Purposeful ability means they can exit a rhino and fire their bolters up to 24" and the large amount of vehicles you should already have in your army to add anti tank.

Blue Rhinos

First let me tell you that you should always give your rhinos Smoke Launchers, Dozer Blades and Extra Armour. This optimum setup allows you to get the most out of your rhinos and is still fairly cheep. You should stop here with the upgrades as anything more would be to expensive for you to place on our little AV11 patty wagons.

The Drive By

Rubrics are gangstas.
Yes they are. With the ability to have an A.C. with psychic powers your Rubrics can perform the classic 'Drive By' tactic with the psychic power Wind of Chaos.

Two members of the squad inside a rhino can pop the top and fire out of the top hatch. Drive the rhino within flam template distance of a target unit and pop the top. Have your A.C. use Wind of Chaos out of the rhino and watch as the target unit (Deathguard) fry. An extremely effective way to make this even more deadly is to give the A.C. a Thrall Wizard and burn the enemy unit a second time.

This 'Drive By' tactic has worked brilliantly for me and has let me burn everything from Harlequins to Space Marine Command Squads. But in order to perform this tactic you must ensure that you rhino's survive...

Rhino Care

Rhinos are not scoring units so their survival is not paramount, but for the points I spend in them I would like to ensure they make it past turn three.

Rhinos have a life expectancy of about three turns, thatís 36" of movement. Make sure you get the most out of those rhinos in the time you have. Don't throw them in the sights of anti tank squads and don't leave them out in the open. If you have to leave them out of cover then don't hesitate to use the Smoke Launchers.

To make this short, TAKE CARE OF YOUR RHINOS!

Rhino Stampede!

Rhinos are not scoring units so once you have accomplished your objective of moving you Rubrics around and perhaps getting of a 'Drive By', its time to make you rhinos the most annoying things ever spawned from the Eye of Terror.

Use your empty rhinos as movable walls, blocking assault routs for units you don't want to see get in combat, acting as a shield for your havoc squad from getting pummeled by a enemy Pread., blocking the enemy's way to key objectives and just doing whatever they can to mess up the enemy's plans. If the rhino gets destroyed don't sweet it. Even in death they perform the same function and the enemy gains nothing from destroying it.

Supporting Your Base

Rhino mounted Rubric squads should be the base of a mechanized army, but with other units providing support,

Preads.
Every Thousand Sons army should have a Pread with Lascannons to add valuable anti tank into the army. Preads in normal Thousand Sons army's are vulnerable to the enemy's anti tank because the enemy can focus his firepower on them. Not so with a Mechanized list. Due to the abundance of other tanks, Preads in a mechanized list have a much higher survival rate than in normal army's.

Defiler.
God I love this abomination.
Whatís not to say about it that has not already been said? Slap this sun of a daemon inside some cover and watch the artillery fly. A Defiler is a key unit for a mechanized army as it provides fire protection for the army as it moves up the field in those first critical turns.

Well I hope that this guide will influence a few Tzeentchians to invest in Rhinos for their Rubric Squads.
See ya on the race track, er battle field
E7(Aun)*
Old 19 Jun 2007, 00:43   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Eat My Dust, Mechanized Tzeentch Tactica

Aun,

+1 karma for the nice writeup. One note of interest: CSM Rhinos do not count as open topped when they pop the hatch thanks to their power armor, just like regular Marines.

Ged

PS: Why isn't this in your Tzeench Cult Tactica Thread? :-\

[glow=purple,2,300]Speaker for the Keeper of Secrets - The Cult of Slannesh[/glow]

-Craftworld Paragon's Rune Sign
GedofParagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Jun 2007, 02:08   #3 (permalink)
Tyr
Shas'Saal

I love the idea of a drive by winds of chaos.
I don't play tzeentch but I might use that tactic in my undivided army.........
Nice Tactica.

"I have taken great pains not to laugh at the actions of aliens, nor to weep at them or to hate them, but to understand them."- Aun'shi
Tyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Jun 2007, 02:18   #4 (permalink)
Aun
Shas'El

Quote:
PS: Why isn't this in your Tzeench Cult Tactica Thread?
:shifty: [size=1pt]Becouse I forgote there was a Tzeentch Cult Tactica Thread XP[/size]

Old 19 Jun 2007, 05:49   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Great, Aun now has equal karma as me..........again > (Guess I have to write somthing else though I wanted to keep it a 7+ so it was my sacred number....)

Pretty decent stuff, way to make the thousand sons somewhat playable :P.

My only complaint is your take on the defiler. They provide one use: they are big and scary. The average joe gamer always fears the defiler and aims everything they got at it. I think its a weak knock off of the bassie and the heavy support slot would be put to use with a tri las pred; or somthing anti tank to provide all those rhinos support

[img width=407 height=650]http://i25.tinypic.com/28jcqwj.jpg[/img]
Sitarangi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Jun 2007, 18:03   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Hadhfang

Quote:
Originally Posted by E7 (Aun)
:shifty: [size=1pt]Becouse I forgote there was a Tzeentch Cult Tactica Thread XP[/size]
UNBELIVER!!!

Erm, yes. Good tactica aun, Though I think that Thousand sons should be foot sloggers. Still put this in the tactica thread or post a link.
Hadhfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Jun 2007, 01:45   #7 (permalink)
Aun
Shas'El

Quote:
They provide one use: they are big and scary. The average joe gamer always fears the defiler and aims everything they got at it.
Exactly. It takes a lot of fire of your rhinos and should be able to survive it and your rhino mounted squads will cause more damage than the Defiler any way.
My Defiler is 180 points with the only upgrade being mutated hull and it has NEVER been destroyed. It's had all of it's weapons destroyed but it has never been taken out and has marched strait out toward a two Exorcists and survived a 15 missile hits.

Quote:
Still put this in the tactica thread or post a link.
Will do.
Old 21 Jun 2007, 02:57   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to 33rd Sirican Redbacks

you do know that Chosen with the mark of tzeentch can take lacannons they just pay havoc squad prices check the terminolgy in the dex, so long as they arent champions....
Old 21 Jun 2007, 08:49   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Kool, like the advice and your so right about the slow moving troops and rhinos sure do their job, just curious can you use obliterators in a Tzeentch Army???

Thanks

> > > WOLOLO > > >
Old 22 Jun 2007, 01:12   #10 (permalink)
Aun
Shas'El

Quote:
you do know that Chosen with the mark of tzeentch can take lacannons they just pay havoc squad prices check the terminolgy in the dex, so long as they arent champions....
Yes, but you only get one heavy weapon per every three marines. I would rather get my Lascannons elswhere.

Quote:
just curious can you use obliterators in a Tzeentch Army???
No, you can not use them in a pure Thousand Sons army. But you can use them in a undivided army with a strong Tzeentch theme. (Which is what I do.)