Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Convince me to play newer Death Guard...
Old 15 Jun 2007, 23:31   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Convince me to play newer Death Guard...

I am thinking of starting them or Guard. I just need some help picking so I asked both forums straight out to convince me what one I should play.
Old 15 Jun 2007, 23:35   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Death-Merchant
Default Re: Convince me to play Death Guard...

well i prefer the changer of the ways personally but nurgles an interesting army.

um...... marines need 5's to wound? that a good enough reason? they have a new codex on the way?
Death-Merchant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Jun 2007, 02:02   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX
Default Re: Convince me to play newer Death Guard...

Quote:
Originally Posted by laxlover_bill369
I am thinking of starting them or Guard. I just need some help picking so I asked both forums straight out to convince me what one I should play.
Heya,

I would wait before buying any Chaos. The codex is this fall.

Cheers,
Old 16 Jun 2007, 03:20   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I know but they really don't catch my fancy right now. Thats why I am saying the new ones.
Old 16 Jun 2007, 06:35   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Hey Bill, I thought you played DG.

DG are tough units that are both incredible in medium range combat and CC. They are easy to play and have many colorful and unique units. It really boils down to looks. If you enjoy the concept of 'plague army' and love conversions, the DG is perfect. Personally, if I were you i'd play nurgle LatD. 2 birds, one stone.

[img width=407 height=650]http://i25.tinypic.com/28jcqwj.jpg[/img]
Sitarangi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Jun 2007, 07:23   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Honestly, it would be presumptuous for anyone to try and convince you of why you should play 'new' death guard, or more accurately 'unreleased' death guard. If you've seen the rumoured stats then you know as much as anyone else about them.

On the other hand, I suppose they won't diverge too much from their current style, which means toughness, and great effectiveness in bolter/special weapon range as well as close combat. 2 main downsides: lack of speed (you used to be able to counter this by giving the whole of your infantry infiltration, which is getting nerfed, but on the other hand I expect rhinos will be made more viable). Other downside is lack of heavy weapons for infantry.

Then they access to a lot of the other good stuff of Chaos. Notably, nasty lords and daemon princes.

And then you have IG, which are in some important ways polar opposites, especially with respect to toughness/armour (which is crap) and long range fire power (which can be huge).

Take your pick. Personally I think DG are, and will remain, way cooler, gamewise and fluffwise.
Chimerical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Jun 2007, 11:39   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX

Quote:
Originally Posted by laxlover_bill369
I know but they really don't catch my fancy right now. Thats why I am saying the new ones.
How much work are you willing to put into the army?

Honestly, I would say Death Guard simply because even with lots of changes, it will be a fun army to make, play and be a good one. The Guard are the Guard. You either play with Tanks which blow up in a single shot, or drop troop around and hope to kill something. Otherwise, you paint an endless sea of face-less meat that die when you sneeze. Want to be little weenies getting slaughtered? Or do you want to be the Baron Harkonen, floating around with heavenly boils that eject puss and other nasty substances, laughing as you're impervious and slaughtering the weak?

Cheers,
Old 16 Jun 2007, 11:49   #8 (permalink)
Anton

Heya,

Unfortunately, the Death Guard, and all of the other God specific Legions will not be getting new models, which, may I say so, blows.

An Imperial Guard army would most likely require more effort to make than a Death Guard army!

To be honest I think you should go with a Death Guard army, you've already got an Iron Warrior force, which is quite shooty, so why not experiment on the other side of the scales?

Assault can be fun, if you can make it there. Unfortunately GW has flogged Veteran Skills, so there will be no more Infiltrating Death Guard. But do bare in mind that they will still have there T5 and are also rumoured to have Feel no Pain! Rhino's will be more readily available, and Obliterators can be marked! So you can take some much need fire support.

If I were you I would wait until the new Codex is released.
Old 16 Jun 2007, 11:50   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to cabomhn Send a message via Yahoo to cabomhn

I have a question. Are there going to actually be new Death Guard models, or are they going to make new stats while still using the same models? Thanks.

cabomhn

EDIT: Nevermind. Anton just cleared that up.

So if I wanted to start a Death Guard army. It wouldn't hurt to buy some of the models now since they aren't getting an update.

98% of Teenagers have tried smoking pot OR drinking. If you're one of the 2% that hasn't, copy and paste this into your sig.
cabomhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Jun 2007, 22:55   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Syphilis
Hey Bill, I thought you played DG.

DG are tough units that are both incredible in medium range combat and CC. They are easy to play and have many colorful and unique units. It really boils down to looks. If you enjoy the concept of 'plague army' and love conversions, the DG is perfect. Personally, if I were you i'd play nurgle LatD. 2 birds, one stone.
I played them a while ago, but changed to tau (bad move ). I am going to wait till I have more $ and when I have more time.