Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Chaos (what else?)
Old 13 Jun 2007, 01:44   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Chaos (what else?)

Well, the new/revised models (see post #34) have kind of given me the kick I need to start a new army. And now, Chaos is looking pretty good.
The thing is, I'd love an army that would have some large models, and Tyranids are out because my friend plays them. And Daemons are just pretty sweet looking.

I mostly do 40k for the hobby, and painting-wise, since I'd like an army with big and detailed things :P is Chaos my best bet? I mean, they have all their HQ, some cool tanks, cool (but not exactly big) troops, and probably the coolest Forgeworld selection (if only I could afford THIS) (It's about $250! But has to be the most awesome model I've ever seen.)

My previous armies were Daemonhunters (maybe 1.5k) and a brief encounter with orks (didn't like 'em) and the army I've loved the most are Tau, which was the army I started with.

So are Chaos fun hobby (mostly painting) wise? Any comments? Recommendations? Spam? (Actually, on second thought, maybe that wouldn't be much help )

EDIT: Before everyone says it, yes, I know there's a new codex coming out...and stuff...and yes, I'll wait until then to get anything/everything that changes (but I may as well start now if I can)
Old 13 Jun 2007, 01:58   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Chaos (what else?)

Yes, the colors that can be put on them are from dirty sick painting, to clean crisp lines. New stuff looks like it is detaied too.
Old 13 Jun 2007, 03:23   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
love an army that would have some large models
We got lots of that. Firstly, lets take a gander at our HQs.

We have greater demons, these puppys are big and full of detail. Hopefully if the GW gods smile upon us, we'll have plastic GDs sometime this year. The GDs are exceptionally convertable and when it boils down to it, they are your interpretation; so break out that greenstuff.... Then we have Demon Prince. Again, big, nasty, and full of detail. The 2 on the market (undivided and nurgle) are great models, but trust me, you want to build your own. Finally, you got lords, sorcerers, and LTs. While not as big and scary as DPs and GDs, they offer a plethora of conversion and paint opportunites.

Now troops, elites, and fasties.

First you have your Chaos Space Marines. These are evil space marines. So basically, you get your awsome looking SMurf then deck it out in spikes, horns, Chainaxes, Bloated Stomachs, tentacles, robes, evil runes, rust, wings, skulls, guts, severed heads, giant icons, and anything else the imperium doesn't tolerate. Give them a rhino and deck that out with everything in the list above, and your good to go. Then we have demons, colorful and vibrant abomonations. If your GS skills are up to par, take a shot at making your own. You wont regret it. There are dozens of amazing choices for troops, elites, and fasties, from the hawk-like raptors, to gargantuin obliterators, to bloodthirsty bikers.....

Finnally Heavies.....

We got everything the SMurfs got but much more. We have Land Raiders, Preds, and Rhinos. Deck them out and smother them in severed heads and giants spikes dedicated to the dark gods. Are dreads are much more....... sinister. They are unholy sarcophagi of the dark gods, entombing the dead and torturing them for eternity. Don't forget about are Defielers. These are some of the biggest 'mainstream' tanks GW makes. They are demonic engines, with massive claws and thundering battle cannons.

On a last note, don't forget about the cults. If you are into bloodthirsty bezerkers, smashing to CC with their bloody chainaxes, go Khorne. If you are into the concept of a 'plague army' , bloated and shambling decayed marines, and fat stinking demons, go Nurgle. If you are into fast, bright colors, tentacles, drugs, and sonic weapons, go Slaanesh. And if you are into vibrant blues and golds, insane demons, and sorcerers with oodles and oodles of psychic prowess, go Tzeentch

Quote:
So are Chaos fun hobby
To answer your question: yes

Hope I could sway you to abandon the corpse Emperor :funny:

- Sitarangi

[img width=407 height=650]http://i25.tinypic.com/28jcqwj.jpg[/img]
Sitarangi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Jun 2007, 10:06   #4 (permalink)
Anton

Heya,

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Muffinator (1shot1kill)
The thing is, I'd love an army that would have some large models, and Tyranids are out because my friend plays them. And Daemons are just pretty sweet looking.
Unfortunately all the Chaos Space Marines will have in terms of monstrous creatures are Daemon Princes, and Greater Daemons. Both of which are pricey in £'s and in points.

With the upcoming Codex the entire way we used to play Chaos will change. Usually a Chaos army would compose of the most expensive, overpowered, near primarch-like Lords or Daemonprinces, backed by Las/plas and Obliterators. With the new codex that will all change.

The army will function, like an army! Lords are now the equivalent of Space Marine Commanders, no more Dark Blades and Daemonic Gifts etc... Chaos Space Marine squads will function like the Dark Angel squads, unless if you want God specific Marines.

But I'm sure you know all of this already.

I think the best thing you can do is research on what Legion you like. The best place to do that is here: Link.

But if you want a Chaos army with massive Hobby potential, you may want to take a look at the Lost and the Damned: Link.

Old 13 Jun 2007, 17:21   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton
Heya,

Quote:
Unfortunately all the Chaos Space Marines will have in terms of monstrous creatures are Daemon Princes, and Greater Daemons. Both of which are pricey in £'s and in points.

With the upcoming Codex the entire way we used to play Chaos will change. Usually a Chaos army would compose of the most expensive, overpowered, near primarch-like Lords or Daemonprinces, backed by Las/plas and Obliterators. With the new codex that will all change.

The army will function, like an army! Lords are now the equivalent of Space Marine Commanders, no more Dark Blades and Daemonic Gifts etc... Chaos Space Marine squads will function like the Dark Angel squads, unless if you want God specific Marines.

But I'm sure you know all of this already.

I think the best thing you can do is research on what Legion you like. The best place to do that is here: Link.

But if you want a Chaos army with massive Hobby potential, you may want to take a look at the Lost and the Damned: Link.

I disagree somewhat, I feel that CSMs are an army that you get out as much as much as you put in. They have alot of potential. CSMs are led by massive abomonations, ancient demons that vetrans of 10,000 wars. These provide so much opportunity in terms of creativity. I think that the new codex is going to hinder alot of the creativity, but not ruin it. LatD is a guard based army, they have numbers of mutants and traitors, again offering alot of creative potential, and can have basically everything that CSMs can have. If you are into that, then by all means.

[img width=407 height=650]http://i25.tinypic.com/28jcqwj.jpg[/img]
Sitarangi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Jun 2007, 18:14   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Thanks for all the help guys, it now looks like I'm definately going to do Chaos.

If I am to do one of the cults, I feel most strongly about Slaanesh, Khorne, and Iron Warriors. The problem with Iron Warriors is no daemons, but other than that they pretty much completely fit my normal playing style (guns). Khorne would be a nice change from always trying to outshoot the enemy, and Slaanesh, who don't have many drawbacks at all.
One question - if I do, say, Khorne, would I still be able to field regular Chaos Space Marines, or only the Khorne troops (I think berserkers?)
Old 13 Jun 2007, 18:21   #7 (permalink)
Anton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sitarangi
I disagree somewhat, I feel that CSMs are an army that you get out as much as much as you put in.
Indeed. But it relies as much on the players taste. I used to play Chaos Space Marines the boring way, minimised squads, 200pt Daemon Prince. You win plenty of battles, but that type of army is incredibly boring, and becoming too common place.

All I am stating is that with the new Codex players will not be able to do what I used to do (which I am ashamed of,) and I thank GW for that. With the new Codex it promises fun over killpower, but it all depends on the player, of course.

Muffinator did say he enjoys the painting and converting side more than the gaming, so lets focus on that.

It would be easier if you tell us which Legion you like the look, or sound of, and then we can give you some cool ideas as to how you can make the most out of a Chaos army (and considering Chaos is probably the second most convertable, and fun to paint race in 40k it should be easy!) If you do not like any of the Chaos Legions, why not make your own Renegade Space Marine Chapter? Perhaps they were lost in the warp, and have returned with there oaths renewed, and their loyalty to Chaos unbreakable. Or perhaps the Chapters Chief Librarian has become possessed, and is using his powers to control his battle brothers so that he can complete some devious plot?

Whatever floats ya' boat, I'm sure you could find a way to warp it in your own, twisted image of the Ruinous powers. :P

Quote:
One question - if I do, say, Khorne, would I still be able to field regular Chaos Space Marines, or only the Khorne troops (I think berserkers?)
With the current Codex you could do a Black Legion army, led by a Chaos Lord with the Mark of Chaos Undivided, and take Khorne Berzerkers as Elites. Or you can do the World Eaters Legion and take Khorne Berzerkers as Troops.

But, regarding the new Codex I am completlet stumped? I guess we'll just have to wait and see, eh?
Old 13 Jun 2007, 18:49   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Yes, but that doesn't answer my question. If I do Khorne (or Slaanesh or whatever I decide on) would I still be able to use Chaos Space Marines (just the normal ones) with the current codex?
Old 13 Jun 2007, 18:55   #9 (permalink)
Anton

Quote:
Yes, but that doesn't answer my question. If I do Khorne (or Slaanesh or whatever I decide on) would I still be able to use Chaos Space Marines (just the normal ones) with the current codex?
If by normal ones you mean "un-marked" Chaos Space Marines, then yes you can.
Old 13 Jun 2007, 19:13   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Hadhfang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton
Quote:
If by normal ones you mean "un-marked" Chaos Space Marines, then yes you can.
However if yo do this you will not benefit from the free champion or the +1 to daemon summoning rules
Hadhfang is offline   Reply With Quote