Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

New Chaos Army
Old 29 May 2007, 23:02   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default New Chaos Army

Ok guys and gals I recently went all out and purchased a full tau force broadsides, pathfinders the lot. Now this army is fine but Ive recently been looking at other armys and thinking how much better they are.

Now im not going to get rid of my tau but I am going to start a fresh chaos army, Now I brought a chaos codex for army ideas and Im going to go with a black legion force. Can anyone give me tips on what to buy to make a balanced army?.

Thanks.
Farsight117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2007, 23:10   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: New Chaos Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farsight117
Now I brought a chaos codex
Well theres a new chaos codex coming out this fall...........

Id buy a termie lord and some plastic CSMs, they'll never go out of style. Just read up on the cults, if you like what you see maybe buy a box of them as well. Heres a good guideline to help you out:

Khorne: hard and fast CC
Nurgle: Resilient medium range shooting forces, but at the same time decent in CC
Slaanesh: Special weapons, fast in CC
Tzeentch: Slow but lay down oodles and oodles of suppressing fire.

Cult marines make decent elites in a black legion army. Maybe invest in a pred, I wouldn't get anything else because of the new models.....

[img width=407 height=650]http://i25.tinypic.com/28jcqwj.jpg[/img]
Sitarangi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2007, 23:17   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Darn didnt know this, well atleast I havent spent any real money on the army yet. I was gunna buy some havocs a termie squad and 3 squads of CSM's (my mates giving me his spare commander).
Farsight117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2007, 23:24   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I wouldn't buy any termies. We have been guaranteed plastic termies in October.

[img width=407 height=650]http://i25.tinypic.com/28jcqwj.jpg[/img]
Sitarangi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2007, 23:35   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal

The way I look at collecting is if you like the look of the models, buy them, and don't worry about new models coming out all too much. Afterall you can always buy more to bulk stuff out later. Case in point: Terminators. I've bought some plastic assault Terminators last week, converted them up to be all Chaosy and Khornate, and when the new plastic Chaos ones come out, I know for a fact my original squad will be just as likable if not more so because I converted them myself.

But there are some units which buying surplus models for isn't always a good idea, for example, Obliterators. You can only ever use three unless your Iron Warriors and although unlikely more better ones will be coming out, you might want to wait to see if they are any new oblits coming out. Stuff like Lords can always be demoted when a new, nicer model comes out. You may start off with a Lord in Terminator armour, but you can always demote him to a Lieutenant or even an Aspiring Champion later when you buy a daemon prince etc.
FTyross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Jun 2007, 21:10   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

After playing tau for awhile, chaos is very refreshing. The options are overwhelming, almost.
Do you have any favorite cult or unit? Black legion allow the most flexibility, so go nuts.

Its good that GW made some new chaos termis. The old ones look...dated.
AThomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Jun 2007, 22:14   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

i ended up going through multiple cults first i was black legion then i was khorne and no i am slaanesh dont underestimate these pink guys they have very good shooting and close combat capibilty plus deamonettes are also one of the best deamons (in my opinion) ,but i would read up on all the chaos cults and how it is best to use them i say that slannesh though, or nurgle, is the most balanced of the legions

Chaos ;D "I Will never face defeat charge!!!"
Played 79
win:64
loss:10
draw:5

Tau "you do realise that fusion blaster just blew up your land raider yes?"
played 17
win 10
lose 6
draw 1

and now
Orks " how does 20 shots with 80 attacks on the charge sound to your powerfist terminators ?"
played 3
win 3
lose 0
draw 0
not forgetting...
"Waaaaaaaaaggggggggghhhhhh!!!!"
bails888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Jun 2007, 08:23   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to 33rd Sirican Redbacks

I know that alot of people think this an annoying option, but 3 obliterators is absolutely awesome!!!!
Raptors are good (but i think plastic ones are on the way in), having the full 6 troops choices is a must so lets say 4 squad boxes of CSM, and 2 units of daemons the best being daemonettes (think genestealers), and bloodletters (super good at taking down termies, Nid big critters etc).
Predators are awesome all round.
Personally if you want termies buy the assault space marine ones and use the lightning claws (all have to be champs to have 2 lightning claws), dont bother with havocs they pay too much for thier guns and you cant hit multiple targets, a couple of min strength squads with the weapons you want is better and cant die in one hit.
Cult troops: all cult troops are fearless which can be at times disadvantageous as you can be tied up with unimportant units and than counter charged.
Noise marines are good at either CC or shooting, shooting wise they can have sonic blasters, however the price is a little steep unmarked chaos marines with bolters are a better choice, Option 2: close combat, noise marines with furious charge strike at effectively I6 on the charge, couple it with bolt pistols and close combat weapons and you strike at the same time as stealers and before marine captains, chaos lords etc.
My favourite option for slaanesh troops is possessed with the mark of slaanesh with talons (striking before most enemies and auto wounding with no armour saves on sixes)

Khorne berserkers are great at killing heavily armoured targets, but are as vulnerable as normal CSM and cant infiltrate.
The best option for khornate units is having possessed with the mark of khorne and khornate chain axes so they have s5 and reduce armour saves to 4+ saves.

Nurgle marines: these guys perform a great role as general purpose troops but are best at defending with true grit and T5, Armies like guard, dark eldar etc find these guys a nightmare (the have daemonic resilience IE T5) and even other marines will find it hard to wound them, they can take all the basic rifle like weapons (plasmaguns thier best ranged tank killer), they die just as easily to plasmaguns lascannons etc as normal marines consider which armies you use them against as some times sheer numbers of normal chaos marines are just as effective.

Thoasand sons thoasand sons come in two flavours rubric(normal CSM units with mark of tzeentch and basic termie squads:a tzeentch uniqueness) and sorceror units (possessed, chosen etc)
Rubrics are good defensive units but they just arent as good as plague marines as they lack close combat goodness, and the ability to take any weapon upgrades, however they can move and fire thier bolters full distance, the downside is the always move as if in difficult terrain, which can be compensated for with rhinos to some extent.
Rubric termies are truly worth thier points they have combi bolters and power weapons, 2 wounds and terminator armour which allows them to deepstrike.
Possessed and chosen are a lame choice for tzeentch, because of points cost, they can be powerful ive heard of combos like possessed of tzeentch with flight and bolt of change (moving out of cover one turn, busting a tank, then moving back the next), but this combo is hideously expensive.

Old 03 Jun 2007, 14:30   #9 (permalink)
Ethereal

Nice summary there, 33rd Sirican Redbacks . Karma awarded
FTyross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Jun 2007, 18:42   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

What about the blast master? Strong enough to kill marines without a save, using a heavy template. Noise marines do have their advantages.
AThomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote