Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

1500 point death guard
Old 06 Apr 2007, 13:08   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default 1500 point death guard

Hi.

I am thinking of starting a death guard army and I thought that 1500 points would be a good place to start. I am going to build my army around a squad of 6 converted terminators and a Forgeworld dreadnought. Please help me out with this as I have never played nor have I ever played against a death guard army.

Lord: termi armour, strength, rot, combimelta, plague sword, spiky bitz, tank hunter 185

6 termi chosen retinue; 2 reaper autocannons, 2 chainfists, tankhunter 330
free champion; combimelta, strength

Plague marines x7; frag, 2 meltaguns, frags, infiltrator 201
free champion; rot, homer, power weapon

Plague marines x7; frag, 2 meltaguns, frags, infiltrator 201
free champion; rot, power fist

Plague marines x7; frag, 2 plasmaguns, frags, 175
free champion; rot, power weapon

Posessed x7; talons, mark of nurgle 239
free champion, rot, spiky bitz

Dreadnought; lascannon, havoc launcher, mutated hull, demonic posession, smokes 168

I'd appreciate any feedback.
Thank you
Una Salus Victus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Apr 2007, 13:52   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Re: 1500 point death guard

Hrm I'm torn on this. I understand you want to use the terminators and the forgeworld dreadnaught. But at the same time I have to say as a DG player I hate both of those units. Terminators never seem to make up the points they cost, and the Chaos Dread is such a horrible unit. You are better off loading up with Predators with Mutated Hull as they are harder to kill and pack more firepower for cheaper then both the Terminators and the Dreadnaught.

Other then that the only thing I would change is your Chaos Lord. Drop the Combi-melta and Plaguesword and give that bad boy a Manreaper (maybe the best weapon in all of chaos.)
orcspit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Apr 2007, 04:48   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Welcome to the fabulous STD ridden world of the Deathguard ;D

Quote:
I am thinking of starting a death guard army and I thought that 1500 points would be a good place to start. I am going to build my army around a squad of 6 converted terminators and a Forgeworld dreadnought. Please help me out with this as I have never played nor have I ever played against a death guard army.
Well DG are REALLY easy and unstoppable once you get the ropes down. I really reccomend starting with 500-1000 points, just till you get hang of it. Now you want a dread and termies thats fine. I like dreads *ducks from sniper fire from every chaos player on tauonline*, espically in >1000pts games. Heres why, they fill 2 niches. First, in tiny games there isn't much firepower, so you can get a dread or two with a single lassie and easily blow any tank out of the water. Secondly, they are amazing in CC (just steer clear of powerfists). Also don't turn your heavys into point sinks. Heres what I reccomend:

Dread w/ lassie, M hull, smokes (for those unlucky blood frenzies on turn 1), and extra armor = 150ish? points.

Its tough, its strong, its usefull and its a pain for the enemy.

Now your lord.....

He sucks. :P. Plague swords are useless without stature. They don't ignore saves, and that utters them useless for a mortal lord. Hes tooled for tank hunting and you got enough of that already, use him for CC, if you need points, LTs work just as fine heres what I reccomend:

Must haves: Lord (or LT) w/ MoN, MR, D strength,
Useful: rot, D Aura, D essence

Troops:

Hit the nail on the head here, I like infiltrators. Some people swear by rhinos, I've got lists for both, I prefer the latter. Thats alot of melta, for 1500 points, go with plasma but keep one squad melta in case things go sour for the dread. Be sure all the Asp. Champs have Pwr fists again, in case they need to kill somthing big. Try not to lock them in CC (espically with your average T4 unit) because they are fearless, they can get stuck in CC forever, but them in medium range and let the PBs (see below) and the lord do all the CC.

Possessed:

Lose them, they suck and cost a huge amount of points. Swap them out for 2 squads of Plague Bearers and you'll have change left over. PBs offer a wealth of CC action (more the possessed will) and are fun to play with. Its sad but possessed are about as good as the models ;D

Termies:

I woudn't reccomend them for any game under 1500 points. They are expensive, but usefull if played right. I don't deep strike them, I put them in medium range and let the march to CC while laying down oodles and ooldes of suppressing fire. So if you want them, take them. The set up ou have now is fine, I'd reccomend giving them all pwr fists though.

Hope I could help

- Sitarangi (pronounced Sit-a-ranji)

P.S.: We have a Nurgle cult and would love for you to join, just click on the sig below and make a post, and i'll be happy to add you.

|
|
V

[img width=407 height=650]http://i25.tinypic.com/28jcqwj.jpg[/img]
Sitarangi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Apr 2007, 05:16   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sitarangi
Plague swords are useless without stature. They don't ignore saves
Yes they do, unless there has been some update i don't know about.
They hide their faces in snarling iron, but the cruelty, in their hearts is manifest in their brutal deeds. We are lost, and we are done. May the God-Emperor forgive our failure and protect our souls.
-last transmission of General DeLestt, Urdesh
Anarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Apr 2007, 05:53   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anarch
Quote:
Plague swords are useless without stature. They don't ignore saves
Yes they do, unless there has been some update i don't know about.
Re-read the rules real quick and you're right. I still woudn't reccomend them just from a points cost stand point. Though the plaguesword could very handy in killing carnifexes.

Old 09 Apr 2007, 06:20   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

I like to infiltrate with plasmas and have a champ armed with a power fist. I also agree that plague swords are pretty uesless unless your against a nidzilla list.
They hide their faces in snarling iron, but the cruelty, in their hearts is manifest in their brutal deeds. We are lost, and we are done. May the God-Emperor forgive our failure and protect our souls.
-last transmission of General DeLestt, Urdesh
Anarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Apr 2007, 04:19   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anarch
I like to infiltrate with plasmas and have a champ armed with a power fist. I also agree that plague swords are pretty uesless unless your against a nidzilla list.
They are worthless against 'Nids since when they are in range of Hive Mind they are immune to instant kill. Any 'nid player worth his salt will always keep them in range of a hive mind.
Old 10 Apr 2007, 04:27   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Its not technically instant kill. More or less its a loophole.

"No armor saves are allowed against its blows in addition roll a D6 for each model wounded by it but not killed. On a roll of 4+ it will be killed outright no matter how many wounds they have".

- Chaos codex

It doesn't refer to it as instant kill.

I would like to hear some opinions on this. Would you call this exploiting a loophole or would so say it is instant kill?

Old 10 Apr 2007, 10:38   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Its not technically instant kill. More or less its a loophole.

"No armor saves are allowed against its blows in addition roll a D6 for each model wounded by it but not killed. On a roll of 4+ it will be killed outright no matter how many wounds they have".

- Chaos codex

It doesn't refer to it as instant kill.

I would like to hear some opinions on this. Would you call this exploiting a loophole or would so say it is instant kill?

From the Tyranid FAQ:

Q: If a Tyranid creature in synapse range is wounded by a weapon with a strength of more than double their Toughness, do they suffer Instant Death or do they suffer only one wound?
A:* They Suffer only one wound.

Q:* Following the previous answer, what happens if a Tyranid in synapse range suffers Instant Death from a weapon that does not hace a Strength value, like a Wraithcannon?
A:* As they are immune to Instant Death, they only suffer 1 Wound and are not instantly killed.

http://us.games-workshop.com/errata/...yranidsFAQ.pdf

So, thats pretty cut and dry that 'nids in synapse range cannot be instant killed by any weapon, and would only suffer normal wounds inflicted by a plague sword.
Old 10 Apr 2007, 15:56   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Only thing is some weapons specifically mention causing "Instant Death" I believe the wraithcannon does. So the main debate is does "slain outright" (as with a force weapon)="instant death"
I'd hate to get on his bad side... >
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiwaz
Fishy has just proved to me that Canadians CAN be scary...
Fish Ead is offline   Reply With Quote