Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Alpha Legion & Daemons
Old 03 Apr 2007, 05:36   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Alpha Legion & Daemons

a quick question straight outta noobville...

can cultists summon any kind of daemon or only furies?

or two...

additionally, can they still take cult marines as an elites choice?

sorry bout spreadin the noobism, curiosity just itchin and i'm away from my books...

PurplKrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Apr 2007, 13:49   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: Alpha Legion & Daemons

The Alpha legion may only have Daemon Packs and the icons can only be carried by Cultists. So strangely the AL can have any of the 4 cult daemons, but no undivided ones.
I caant find anywhere that says you CANT take cult troops.......
But that doesnt mean you should, play the spirit of the rules and have a pure AL force.....You take Cult Troops inan AL army and Alpharius will surely hunt you down.

"Be extremely subtle, even to the point of formlessness. Be extremely mysterious, even to the point of soundlessness. Thereby you can be the director of the opponents fate."
Sun Tzu
Eetion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Apr 2007, 20:55   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Can Cultists summon any kind of daemon or only Furies?
"The Alpha Legion may include Daemon Packs." This implies that they may not use other Daemons, such as Greater Daemons or Daemonic Beasts, thus meaning that Furies would not be allowed.
Daemons of any kind may be summoned by an Icon of Chaos Undivided, meaning that Cultists may summon any of the Daemon Packs.

Quote:
Additionally, can they still take Cult Marines as an Elites choice?
"Alpha Legionaries can only bear the Mark of Chaos Undivided..."
No.

"In the nightmare future of the far future there is only war." - Apocalypse
O Y Montyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Apr 2007, 05:41   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abael
Quote:
Can Cultists summon any kind of daemon or only Furies?
"The Alpha Legion may include Daemon Packs." This implies that they may not use other Daemons, such as Greater Daemons or Daemonic Beasts, thus meaning that Furies would not be allowed.
Daemons of any kind may be summoned by an Icon of Chaos Undivided, meaning that Cultists may summon any of the Daemon Packs.

Quote:
Additionally, can they still take Cult Marines as an Elites choice?
"Alpha Legionaries can only bear the Mark of Chaos Undivided..."
No.
Alright, I'm back by my books and while I agree with the assessment that AL can take any of the cult daemons AND they cannot take Furies.... I still don't get why, in fact the whole idea makes no sense to me at all, but I digress...

I do not, however, agree with the idea that they cannot take Cult Marines as an elites choice. After reading the section again, I take the above quote to mean they can take the MoCU but need not feel obligated to acquire the mark and may not take advantage of nor be considered as AL for purposes of determining special characteristics such as cheap infiltrate SHOULD they bear the mark of a cult. And being such a cult member, they would fall under the category of "marked differently from presiding Lord" and thus be scheduled an elites slot. Does this sound RAWish?

At this point, I feel an explanation from myself is needed. I am writing up the background fluff of my emerging army now and have decided to use a Rogue Trader from the good ole days before the Heresy as my Lt./Lord. After fleeing the boundaries of the galaxy with his corrupted Space Marine retinue in tow, he returns with rare geneseed of one fallen marine and barters for the transformation into a chaos marine with the help of Fabius Bile.

Now, I would like to eventually include some elites choice EC as part of the unfolding of his eventual spiral into the depths of hedonism as his isolated company turns to the worship of Slaneesh whilst raiding and pillaging far from the Eye. His cultists would be of two distinct groups and be modeled that way. The first group would be his crew of non-marines with the second being worshipers from the planets where he lands to wreak havoc and visit brothels. His crew would be modeled as guard-style figures while his planetary cultists would be more typical.

Is this fluff sufficient to explain why he'd break with the standards of AL as he's not really a part of it? The whole idea is to build a basic AL army first with his more military-styled crew-cultists and then delve into daemon packs and planetary-cultists as my financial terms allow before finally converting over to Slaneesh in the long term.

This is kinda why I wanted to use Furies instead of cult daemons as it would illustrate the slide even better as I phase out Raptors in order to move into alignment with Slaneesh cult restrictions.

Old 04 Apr 2007, 08:44   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I kinda figured somebody'd say something like that...

Basically, playing a Legion is all or nothing. If you play World Eaters, the entire army is World Eaters. If you play Iron Warriors, the entire army is Iron Warriors. You're argument is basically that you have non-Alpha Legion Marines in the Alpha Legion, which rings a wrong tone. Basically, if you want to delve deep into the RAW, you can make a case to the point where the ruling is in a grey area, in which case it's best to err on the side of caution and not take God-dedicated Marines.

Your fluff is rather nice, but that doesn't justify bending the rules. However, you could probably get a chosen unit (or possessed with Talons) and make them into mock-Slaaneshi units. It might not be as good as the real thing, but I think it's as good as it gets.

As for the types of daemons the AL can use, it doesn't make sense to me either. I've no idea why they can use god-specific daemons but not undivided daemons, but that's how the rules read.

"In the nightmare future of the far future there is only war." - Apocalypse
O Y Montyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Apr 2007, 02:58   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abael
As for the types of daemons the AL can use, it doesn't make sense to me either. I've no idea why they can use god-specific daemons but not undivided daemons, but that's how the rules read.
It's not a matter of worship - it's a matter of rarity. The four Daemon Packs are considered the most commonly found Daemons in the warp, due to their patron diety. Furies are far less commonly found, therefore aren't avaliable to Alphas.
Caluin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Apr 2007, 17:44   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Here's a couple new questions regarding my continually evolving concept for this AL army.

I am thinking about moving away from the Slaneesh cult, as it does seem to be so opposed by better minded fluffers than myself, and moving into a Genestealer Cult Army. This would better reflect my Lt.'s tactic of seeding Imperial worlds with Xenos lifeforms to wreak havoc and cover his own doings. Additionally it would allow me to create a second army using my cultists as the base.

1. I have heard there was a Genestealer Cult Army Codex, or the like, but wasn't able to find it on GW's website. Where can I find it?

2. Are there any Allies used by the AL? I've heard strange talk of Kroot Mercs and such, but you can see where my mind is going with this new twist...

3. Do mounted Daemonettes count as "daemon packs"?

And finally, thanks to y'all who commented on my path for this army. I think this new path will give me two very fun armies to play and avoid any potential Parmesan rainfall...

Old 05 Apr 2007, 19:53   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

PurpleKrush,

[quote=PurplKrush]
Here's a couple new questions regarding my continually evolving concept for this AL army.

I am thinking about moving away from the Slaneesh cult, as it does seem to be so opposed by better minded fluffers than myself, and moving into a Genestealer Cult Army. This would better reflect my Lt.'s tactic of seeding Imperial worlds with Xenos lifeforms to wreak havoc and cover his own doings. Additionally it would allow me to create a second army using my cultists as the base.
[quote]
-Genestealer Cult army is not legal unfortunately, but there is no reason not to have your fluff and eat it too. One of my old frineds used Slanneshi LatD much like myself, but used Genestealer Hybrid (Used IG and Tyranid Bitz) units as Mutants, Genestealers as Possessed, and Tyranid WArrior/Ogryn combos as Big Mutants. She still had a Slanneshi Lord over it all, and used a Genestealer patriarch as her Arch Heretic. Whole lotta fun! As for your cultists, they make great Traitor Units for LatD, which can be armed identically to the original Traitors, and keep infiltrate, while gaining IG weapons choices! ;D

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurplKrush
1. I have heard there was a Genestealer Cult Army Codex, or the like, but wasn't able to find it on GW's website. Where can I find it?
-Covered above.

Quote:
2. Are there any Allies used by the AL? I've heard strange talk of Kroot Mercs and such, but you can see where my mind is going with this new twist...
-Kroot mercs can be taken by almost anyone.

Quote:
3. Do mounted Daemonettes count as "daemon packs"?
-Nope, they are FA choices I'm afraid. But they work fine in LatD.

Quote:
And finally, thanks to y'all who commented on my path for this army. I think this new path will give me two very fun armies to play and avoid any potential Parmesan rainfall...
-best of luck.

TTFN,
Ged

[glow=purple,2,300]Speaker for the Keeper of Secrets - The Cult of Slannesh[/glow]

-Craftworld Paragon's Rune Sign
GedofParagon is offline   Reply With Quote