Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Help with Iron Warriors, Painting, and Weapons
Old 31 Mar 2007, 20:59   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Help with Iron Warriors, Painting, and Weapons

Excuse the noobness, I am new to Warhammer 40k. I have bought and read the Chaos Codex, and the first 40 or so pages of the Rulebook. I have a Chaos Megaforce: 12 Chaos Marines, 8 Khorne Berzerkers, 3 Chaos Bikes, 1 Chaos Rhino and 1 Chaos Defiler. I also have 1 Chaos Lord on order as an HQ. After reading the Codex I think that I want to try and make an army under the Iron Warriors. Now I understand that I need to have all my units bear the mark of chaos undivided, but does that mean that I can use any unit as long as they dont't have restrictions as to what mark they bear? (ie. Khorne Bezerkers). Also are there particular colours that I must paint my units according to their allegiances? I would like to paint them all similarly. What weapons should I utilize with my army should I beef them up with plasma/flamer junk or would the points be better used elsewhere? Lastly, I know there are a million other threads about this, but which heavy support do you suggest with an Iron Warriors army? Thanks for any help.
lordgnarington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Mar 2007, 21:21   #2 (permalink)
General Stupidity

Default Re: Help with Iron Warriors, Painting, and Weapons

Heya,

Quote:
Now I understand that I need to have all my units bear the mark of chaos undivided, but does that mean that I can use any unit as long as they dont't have restrictions as to what mark they bear? (ie. Khorne Bezerkers).
With the Iron Warriors, they can have either the Mark of Chaos Undivided, or no mark at all. Which means that if you are going to do the Iron Warriors Legion, you cannot take Khorne Berzerkers. My best suggestion is that you use the Berserker pieces and scatter them amongst your other Marines, or make an Iron Warriors C.C. squad (Marines with bolt pistols and C.C.W's) to represent them as Iron Warriors who prefer C.C. or who are touched by Khorne.

Quote:
Also are there particular colours that I must paint my units according to their allegiances? I would like to paint them all similarly.
Whatever floats ya' boat. :P

Nah, seriously, you can paint your Iron Warriors however you see fit, plus Iron Warriors are relatively easy to paint.

Quote:
What weapons should I utilize with my army should I beef them up with plasma/flamer junk or would the points be better used elsewhere?
The Iron Warriors are a shooting heavy army, they prefer long ranged weapons over short ranged, so I would recommend sticking a heavy weapon in your squads. As to which weapons you want, it totally depends on what you want your squads to do, and what opponent you are facing. Its totally your choice.

Quote:
Lastly, I know there are a million other threads about this, but which heavy support do you suggest with an Iron Warriors army?
Hmm... My personal favorite is the Vindicator, with the Mutated Hull, Parasitic possesion and Daemonic Possession upgrades. Although this tank is pricey in points, It can annihilate anything it shoots, and is highly resilient. But I wouldn't recommend it to you, as you have just started the hobby.

For you, I would recommend a couple of trusty predators, or a dreadnought, or two, they are pretty good in small battles.

Oh, I would however recommend that you take a couple of Obliterators. I swear by Obliterators, they are fantastic all round units, and make great gun platforms, especially against enemy armour. Plus with Iron Warriors you have the 0-1 restriction lifted, which means you can have 9 Obliterators, or 3 Obliterators operate independently.

When you are new to the Hobby, pick units you like the look of, but if you want to get good at gaming quickly, then I would recommend the above I have mentioned.

Happy hunting, and all the best!
Old 31 Mar 2007, 23:04   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Hey welcome to your hobby and tau online (the best forum in my opinion) The thing that you can do with your berzerkers is model them like they are on the box but get some Iron warrior Shoulder pads and stick them on the left shoulders (khrone on the left) and paint them like your main army and paint the heads and Khrone symbols (including shoulder pads) with red and in game terms they can just be marines with ccw and bolt pistols. About* you begging I would say that next thing you need to get are oblitorators, followed by* a dreadnought (get the space marine one and convert it with the chaos accessory spur)Hope this helps, look forward for a tactic of Iron warriors.
Also here: http://z4.invisionfree.com/ironwarri...showtopic=2213
Old 02 Apr 2007, 03:49   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Thankyou

Much thanks for the reply. It seems that getting a couple of Obliterators and a Dreadnought would probably be the best option at this point. So.. My tentative Army listing is this:

1 Chaos Lord* * * * * * * *
1 Chaos Rhino w/ Dirge Caster, and Mutated Hull
8 Khorne acting as Chaos Marines (in Rhino) w/ Bolt Pistols and CCW
1 Defiler w/ Living Vehicle Upgrade
2 Obliterators
1 Dreadnought w/ Twin linked Heavy Bolter, and Missle Launcher Upgrade
3 Chaos Bikes:
2 Chaos Bike w/ Flamers
1 Chaos Bike w/ Close Combat Weapon
12 Chaos Marines w/ Bolters

TOTAL POINTAGE: 999 points

I will be playing mostly with my three friends in 1000 point games, one friend plays with space marines, one plays with dark eldar(very troop orientated), but my main concern is my friend who plays Tau. His army is as follows:

2 Units of 12 fire warriors with pulserifles
16 Kroot
1 Shaso w/ Plasma Rifle, Fusion Blaster, Multitracker
2 Hammerhead:
1 Hammerhead w/ Railgun, Smartmissle, and Multitracker
1 Hammerhead w/ Ion Cannon, 2 Burst Cannons, and Multitracker
3 Crisis Suits:
1 Crisis Suit (Shasure) w/ Plasma Rifle, Fusion Blaster, Hardwire Multitracker, Targeting Array,
1 Crisis Suit (Shasui) w/ Twinlink Plasma Rifle, Drone Controller+ 2 Shield Drones
1 Crisis Suit (Shasui) w/ Twinlink Fusion Blaster, Drone Controller+ 2 Shield Drones

Any Advice regarding tactics?
Old 04 Apr 2007, 01:33   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

'narington, your list isnt finished!

-Cheese
Cheesevillage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Apr 2007, 16:28   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesevillage
'narington, your list isnt finished!
Whoops I forgot weapons for my Marine Units.
Old 06 Apr 2007, 10:19   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

hi i am new to the forum, i have a 200 pt iron warrior army, i am pretty sure that you can have your berserker's as an elite choice, a couple of tanks worth checking out are the Basilisk, and the vindicator. Vindicator has the strongest weapon in the whole 40k game, Str 10 AP 2 or 1 i can't remember... basilisk range 240" but also has a minimum range of 36". really good all-round army

btw we as iron warriors are allowed 9 obliterators. 3 squads of 3 only.
MegaMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Apr 2007, 15:45   #8 (permalink)
General Stupidity

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaMagic
i am pretty sure that you can have your berserker's as an elite choice,
Nope, you can't:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pg 41. Codex Chaos Space Marines - 1st Bullet point
The only mark they can bear is the Mark of Chaos Undivided
So basically that means that Iron Warriors can have either the Mark of Chaos Undivided, or no mark at all. So Khorne Berzerkers, or any other cult unit is a no-no. If you want to have an Undivided army with cult squads you can only do that with the Black Legion.

As I said before, use the pieces from your Berzerkers and spread them around your ordinary Chaos Marines, or make a C.C. Iron Warrior squad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaMagic
btw we as iron warriors are allowed 9 obliterators. 3 squads of 3 only.
Pfft, I prefer just having 1 Obliterator per squad. That way you still get 3 (which is more than enough,) and they can operate independently giving your army alot of flexibility.

Should I remind you that 9 Obliterators cost 630pts! :sadnshocked: A ridiculous amount of points to spend on 9 models.

Thanks.
Old 06 Apr 2007, 20:27   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton

As I said before, use the pieces from your Berzerkers and spread them around your ordinary Chaos Marines, or make a C.C. Iron Warrior squad.
I think it would be safe to assume that he has already modelled them to look like khorne bezerkers, but he could still use them as a CC squad, maybe chop off those antlers they have, that's what I did at least.
Firewarrior26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Apr 2007, 00:32   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Khorne Bzrkrz

I know that I can have 9 obliterators, but that would be rather counter-productive in a 1000 point army. I'd need to make alot of sacrifices to fit more than two of the into my army. I glued together my CC unit last night using the pieces from my chaos marines, berserker's, and some space marine junk. I made 6 of them with bolt pistols, and ccw. And 2 with plasma pistols and ccw. I made my main squad of chaos marines too: 10 with bolter's, squad leader with heavy bolter. that only leaves me with one squad leader, and 6 chaos marines and one leader i got from a friend. I was thinking of giving my close combat unit a squad leader, modeling one chaos marine as a plasma gun to put in my marines unit, and using the remaining 4 chaos marines and squad leader to fabricate a chaos havocs unit. (hopfully you were able to follow all that randomness). My only concern is that I only need the guns for my havocs and not the men, is there an option somewhere where I can buy a lascannon, autocannon, heavy flamer? To recap:
CC UNIT
6 bolt pistols and ccw
2 plasma pistols and ccw
1 squad leader with boltpistol and ccw

MARINES UNIT
10 bolter's
1 plasma gun
1 squad leader with heavy bolter

HAVOCS UNIT
1 Auto Cannon
1 Lascannon
1 Squad leader with Heavy Bolter
1 Plasma gun
1 Bolter

I promise to post pictures of my cc conversion squad once they are completed.