Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Cheap 1000 Point army. Effective?
Old 26 Mar 2007, 13:12   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to arguleon-veq
Default Cheap 1000 Point army. Effective?

I was just working out some Chaos Lists today, come up with an Infantry list that I quite liked, and it works out to be pretty cheap. Plus I've always wanted a Vanilla/Iron Warrior force to go with my mates Iron Warrior army in Mega Battles.

So, I was thinking this;

8 Marines;
Tank Hunters,
4 Autocannons.

8 Marines;
4 Heavy Bolters.

8 Marines;
Infiltrate,
4 Plasma Guns,
Asp Champ;
Powerfist,
Bolt Pistol.

6 Marines;
Lascannon.

6 Marines;
Lascannon.

Lord;
Bike,
Powerfist,
Essence,
Armour,
Rune,
Visage.

36 Marines [not including Biker Lord],
4 Autocannons,
4 Heavy Bolters,
4 Plasmaguns,
2 Lascannon,
2 Powerfist.

It all comes to 91. Which is REALLY cheap compared to most of my armies [most are themed though]. All I would need is 4 Iron Warrior Box Sets, 4 Autocannons and 1 Space Marine Biker [15+15+15+15+7+6+6+6+6].

What do you think on the actual list though? Is it any good? Is it competative at all?.

Thing is, I want them to look like Iron Warriors, but not be Iron Warriors, any ideas on some subtle colour changes that would look good, still have them looking similar to Iron Warriors etc but having something that seperates them? I can't seem to think of a scheme that would work.
Old 26 Mar 2007, 13:16   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Cheap 1000 Point army. Effective?

'Veq,

It's a decent high-firepower list, but I worry that you only have one fast unit, that is also your only counter-assault unit. The army is also fairly static, making it easy to outmanuever. You might want to consider mounting your troop squads in Rhinos to allow a limited ability to flank and to use thier hulks to control fire/assault lanes.

Ged

[glow=purple,2,300]Speaker for the Keeper of Secrets - The Cult of Slannesh[/glow]

-Craftworld Paragon's Rune Sign
GedofParagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Mar 2007, 13:59   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arguleon-veq
What do you think on the actual list though? Is it any good? Is it competative at all?.

Thing is, I want them to look like Iron Warriors, but not be Iron Warriors, any ideas on some subtle colour changes that would look good, still have them looking similar to Iron Warriors etc but having something that seperates them? I can't seem to think of a scheme that would work.
Heya,

I run a purely infantry IW list very often, that focuses on firepower. It has very limited mobility, but it works out in the end, because typically with the right guns, you only need about 2~3 turns of shooting, then you can literally just pick up and start walking half the infantry who don't have targets anymore. If you think something like that will work for you, then it will hold up well. You've got the firepower.

Personally, I think I would focus those Lascannon troops to become walking plasma or even melta carriers and I would take points from the infiltrating squad, via losing infiltration. It's not a critical loss when there's only one squad that infiltrates. From there, you could build two troop units with double plasma (or melta) with fist champs. That would give you two dangerous squads that can move, instead of one, and that's twice as good.

The last problem comes down to what you think you'll face. If you think you'll see godzilla lists, necrons, or even just enemy marines for that matter, I would probably switch out the autocannons for missiles in those cases. Autocannons are my favorite weapon, as they harm infantry great just like heavy bolters and also tear right through vehicles, acting like 8 missiles all together. But when it comes to certain things, the AP hurts. Something to consider.

The list will be good. It's not the most competitive, but that is due to lack of total mobility (such as scenarios where you need more than one unit to be scoring and moving into a specific area on the board). If the plan is for team games though, that can be worked out on your team mate's end.

(By the way, if you had access to a credit card, you could order the heavy weapons and special weapons from BWbits and save quite a chunk of cash instead of buying the actual `dev' models. This is especially true for missile launchers, which are $1 on there, which means you could build 8 of them for $8 and simply fix up 8 marines to be devs for half what it would cost to buy 8 missile launcher dev models. Alternatively, using some loyalist models intermixed with chaos models could be another way to get things you want for cheap, and body count, etc.)

-- As for colors, that all comes down to how close you want to stick to it. The dominant colors are boltgun, black and gold. If you want to stay similar, anything with boltgun will do it, but it will look very similar. If you go with something that uses black and gold, but a different 3rd color, that will still look similar. If you went black with gold as is, it would look black legion though. Black with boltgun trim.... that would look similar, not be another legion and be easy to do (since I know you abhor painting).

Cheers,
Old 27 Mar 2007, 06:45   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Well before I was going to paint the IW with black, kinda like black legion but different. The thing I did was play around with the Dawn of War game and made the silver black.