Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Traitor Governor and his army (for campaign)
Old 19 Mar 2007, 17:46   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Chton
Default Traitor Governor and his army (for campaign)

My gaming club has planned to make a map-based campaign for quite some time. And it has now become a reality.
The scenario is the same as one can find in the WH40K rulebook. "The Battle for Vogen." And everyone starts at 1000p
I have been given the responsibility to make a suitable defence force for the Traitor Governor who resides in the Palace of Peace. It is a npc force, only to defend the palace againt those who attack. The reason for this is that our club does not have the possibility to play the "mega-battle" as described in the setting.

Anyways...I have 1700 points to use on a force, and I have the possibility to use any suitable codex to make a "fluffy" force. I have chosen to use units from the Witchhunters adversery list, Codex Imperial Guard and Codex Chaos Space Marines.
What I have come up with until now is this:

HQ

Apostate Cardinal Wilhelm Holz with psychic power Soul Shrive. (The Traitor Governor)

Rogue Psyker with Soul Shrive

TROOPS

Traitorsx10 meltagun/infiltrate

Imperial Guard Infantry Command Squad, power weapon, 2xgrenade launchers

Infantry Squad heavy bolter+plasmagun

Armoured Fist Squad, chimera with multilaser+heavy bolter, 10 guardsmen with 1 meltagun

Chaos Space Marinesx12 Champion+Power weapon, Flamer

HEAVY SUPPORT

Leman Russ Battletank 3xHeavy bolters

Heavy Weapons Platoon Command Squad, lascannon

Fire-Support Squad 3xAutocannons

Anti-Tank squad 3xMissile Launchers

Total of 1700 points.

What do you think? Should I add/remove something, or is it good as it is?
C&C please.

Cheers
Chton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Mar 2007, 14:37   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Traitor Governor and his army (for campaign)

King Winter,

While this is certainly in the right place as it is a "Chaos" army, you'll find that most of us have little experience with the Adversaries rules. I'll do my best given my general knowlege and the fact that my WH 'Dex is at home.

HQ:
-You may have a problem here. The army is based on IG, and I thought that the Command Platoon was a (1) choice. (ie required), I'll double check my 'Dex later.
Quote:
Apostate Cardinal Wilhelm Holz with psychic power Soul Shrive. (The Traitor Governor)
-Good, should be able to pick out squad leaders, heavy weapons and whatnot; good LD.

Quote:
Rogue Psyker with Soul Shrive
-I don't know why, but the points don't look right to me. I'll have to check my 'Dex later. Otherwise: Looks Good.

ELITES:
None - It may behoove you to use.

TROOPS:
Quote:

-It may behoove you to use smaller veteran squads instead. This allows better leadership, accuracy, and more meltas. Something like (Veteran x 6, 3 meltaguns), who can also be configured to infiltrate.

Quote:
Imperial Guard Infantry Command Squad, power weapon, 2xgrenade launchers

-Interesting Fire Support team. You are making the infantry squads static by default. You may be better served by switching to Grenade Launchers and keeping these mobile. You have ample static firepower in your fire-support squads.

Quote:
Armoured Fist Squad, chimera with multilaser+heavy bolter, 10 guardsmen with 1 meltagun
-I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest something that works wonders for my Traitor Guard: A flamer in the Chimera Squad. He can fire it over the side along with the Tank's guns, (which can engage a different target) and the hull-mounted lasguns. Leave the melta-work to your Traitors/vets. Whichever you decide on.

Quote:

-Equipped for close work, and feel kind of like Sisters Squads. I don't like them. The largish CSM squads have never done well for me, and tend to work better for anti-armor work in the form of the classic Las/Plas team. The Single Power Weapon at S4 lacks sufficient punch to do any real harm. For the cost and effectiveness I'd rather have a Conscript Platoon; or better yet a couple of huge mutant Squads with buried powerfists.

Quote:
Heavy Weapons Platoon Command Squad, lascannon

Anti-Tank squad 3xMissile Launchers
-This is a good amount of Dakka, it should work out OK.

All in all:
The list tries to do many things, but only manages to do them poorly. your HQs can do significant damage to single models, but a psychic hood willkeep your cardinal from making his points back unless you're really lucky, and I'd check on the nessessity of a command platoon. (Which, by using Psychic Apocolypse, a tooled command Squad, and Support Squads would eliminate the need for your HW platoon; and provide better close support) You have infiltrating Traitors for close anti-armor, and in largish squads of ten. Either help them focus by reducign their number, or replacing them with more cost-effective vet. squads. Your Infantry platoon is static, and lacks appreciable anti-MEQ power. (Please either make them more mobile by eliminating the HB, or just make sure to drop them into cover) The Chimera Squad will cannot fire it's HB from the tank if it moves, so again: Not reccomended. Either 1) Switch it to an assault/rapid Fire Weapon or 2) deploy them with the infantry platoon. The Marine Squads just don't have the punch to do what you need them to do: Replace with Mutants, Daemons, or Conscripts for better results. Your Fire Support Platoon give good mid-strength Dakka, but really needs a Lascannon team rather than Missile Launchers to defeat enemy armor. (It's not good to bank on infiltrating anti-armor, a savvy opponent will keep them at bay).

I'm not trying to be derogetory, but I feel that this list needs a major overhaul if you want to stand a chance in Tourney,
Ged

[glow=purple,2,300]Speaker for the Keeper of Secrets - The Cult of Slannesh[/glow]

-Craftworld Paragon's Rune Sign
GedofParagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Mar 2007, 20:21   #3 (permalink)
General Stupidity

Default Re: Traitor Governor and his army (for campaign)

To be honest, I think you would be better off taking a Daemon Hunter, or Witch Hunter Inquisitor Lord and represent your Governor using their rules, and then take some inducted Imperial Guard.

Good Luck!