Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

1000pts Mutant Heavy LatD
Old 17 Mar 2007, 21:01   #1 (permalink)
General Stupidity

Default 1000pts Mutant Heavy LatD

Heya,

If you are wondering why I'm doing this, please read this. My brain won't stop fuelling me with insane, and cool ideas for a Mutant horde army. :-\

Anyway, here it is.

[hr]
[hr]

HQ 1:
Aspiring Champion - Mark of Khorne, Power Fist, C.C.W. Total: 52pts
[size=7pt] The Champions will join the Mutant squads.[/size]

[hr]

Elite 1:
2 x Obliterators Total: 140pts
[size=7pt]Fire Support, to eliminate enemy armour mostly. [/size]

Elite 2:
6 x Big Mutants Total: 190pts
- Big Mutant Boss
- 2 x Big Mutants with Heavy Stubbers
[size=7pt]Fun & Counter attack, to take and hold buildings, and cut down any enemy infiltrators. [/size]

[hr]

Troop 1:
Mutant Squad Total: 205pts
- 1 x Mutant Boss, Powerfist, C.C.W.
- 29 x Mutants with Firearms and C.C.W.'s
[size=7pt]Overwhelm enemy units in C.C. [/size]

Troop 2:

[hr]

Heavy Support 1:
Defiler Total: 155pts
- Reaper Autocannon
- Heavy Flamer
- Extra Armour
[size=7pt]To blast things at a distance. [/size]

[size=14pt]Army Total: 999pts [/size]

[hr]
[hr]
Old 17 Mar 2007, 21:07   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default Re: 1000pts Mutant Heavy LatD

mot bad from what i can see.

However, when you said mutant heayv i was expecting 100 mutants.

Is this a result of those forgeworld ogryns??
Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Mar 2007, 21:15   #3 (permalink)
General Stupidity

Quote:
Originally Posted by S I L K
Is this a result of those forgeworld ogryns??
Yep, I love them!

As soon as I saw them I fell in love with them, I've actually been copying down ideas for them, I thought I could use them as my Champions, Mutant Bosses and Obliterators.

Quote:
However, when you said mutant heayv i was expecting 100 mutants.
Yeah, I tried that earlier, and it worked, but I seriously handicapped myself beyond my own comfort. Still, 60 Mutants is quite a lot.

I'll start these guys after the summer, because then I'll have over 1000 to spend, due to extended holidays, and my dad gave me a job!

Old 17 Mar 2007, 22:04   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton
Heya,

If you are wondering why I'm doing this, please read this. My brain won't stop fuelling me with insane, and cool ideas for a Mutant horde army. :-\

Anyway, here it is.
-Those are some cool models Sir. Lets look at the rest.

Quote:
HQ 1:
[size=7pt] The Champions will join the Mutant squads.[/size]
-Wait a moment, What the deuce!?!

Quote:
Mark of Khorne
-Ahem... *taps foot* Nightma... er, SILK, (!?) how should THAT be dealt with? :sadnshocked:
-Anyway, from a pure design standpoint they should work well as leaders for your Mutant Squads.

Quote:
Elite 1:
2 x Obliterators Total: 140pts
[size=7pt]Fire Support, to eliminate enemy armour mostly. [/size]
-Good, they supply much-needed anti-tank.

Quote:
Elite 2:
6 x Big Mutants Total: 190pts
- Big Mutant Boss
- 2 x Big Mutants with Heavy Stubbers
[size=7pt]Fun & Counter attack, to take and hold buildings, and cut down any enemy infiltrators. [/size]
-Terrible units really; fun, fluffy, but terrible in practice. They get shredded by bolter-fire, and more lesser mutants would be a better buy for the points. Try to minimize their visibility to enemy fire lanes or they will die. I'd actually reccomend using Flamer Analogs instead of the Stubbers, and keeping them back as a counterassault unit to help out your lesser muties if you must keep them. See the Troops section below for perhaps a better use of their models, points, and talents.

Quote:
Troop 1:

Troop 2:
-These Squads have a HUGE footprint on the board, and if one does fail a morale check, a significant portion of your army is lost. I'd consider dropping to 4 x 15 Man squads, and use the Ogryn Models as 2 more bosses, and one more AC. [glow=purple,2,300]The HQ final slot should belong to your SLanneshi Commander, and for the sake of fluff the lesser champs should probably not have a mark at all...[/glow] *cough* Um... I mean that you should probably duplicate your champions a few times (You have 2 HQ slots so you can have up to 6). Having a S6 and an S8 powerfist in each of 4 squads will go a long way towards fragging thine enemies. Seriously, your might consider using your Slanneshi commander and some unmarked Champs though... The Big Mutant Squd gives you plenty of points if you re-invest them. (and their models) :funny:

Quote:
Heavy Support 1:
Defiler Total: 155pts
- Reaper Autocannon
- Heavy Flamer
- Extra Armour
[size=7pt]To blast things at a distance. [/size]
-Fluffy, but ultimately may be a bad idea. As the only vehicle in your army it will attract enemy anti-armor like flies to honey. I estimate a 95% chance of death by turn 2 no matter what you do. An Allied CSM Las/plas Team (and some more mutants) or a two-Heavy Weapon Chosen Squad costs about the same and will give you a better return on your points. Still, if you love it, keep it. ;D

Thoughts?
Ged

[glow=purple,2,300]Speaker for the Keeper of Secrets - The Cult of Slannesh[/glow]

-Craftworld Paragon's Rune Sign
GedofParagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Mar 2007, 00:00   #5 (permalink)
General Stupidity

Quote:
-Ahem... *taps foot* Nightma... er, SILK, (!?) how should THAT be dealt with?
-Anyway, from a pure design standpoint they should work well as leaders for your Mutant Squads.
Well, as you know, the Mark of Slaanesh for Champions raises their initiative to 5, but the Champions I have, have Powerfists, so effectively I would have been wasting 10 pts. And I would represent my Champions using the Renegade Ogryns.

Quote:
-Terrible units really; fun, fluffy, but terrible in practice. They get shredded by bolter-fire, and more lesser mutants would be a better buy for the points. Try to minimize their visibility to enemy fire lanes or they will die. I'd actually reccomend using Flamer Analogs instead of the Stubbers, and keeping them back as a counterassault unit to help out your lesser muties if you must keep them. See the Troops section below for perhaps a better use of their models, points, and talents.
I know, I know, but the models are soooo cool. Hmmm... I could take possessed and represent them with the Renegade Ogryn models, ideas?

Quote:
-These Squads have a HUGE footprint on the board, and if one does fail a morale check, a significant portion of your army is lost. I'd consider dropping to 4 x 15 Man squads, and use the Ogryn Models as 2 more bosses, and one more AC. The HQ final slot should belong to your SLanneshi Commander, and for the sake of fluff the lesser champs should probably not have a mark at all...
*cough* Um... I mean that you should probably duplicate your champions a few times (You have 2 HQ slots so you can have up to 6). Having a S6 and an S8 powerfist in each of 4 squads will go a long way towards fragging thine enemies. Seriously, your might consider using your Slanneshi commander and some unmarked Champs though... The Big Mutant Squd gives you plenty of points if you re-invest them. (and their models)
Hmm... I understand, so if I sacrifice the Big Mutants for smaller squads and more Champions that would make sure my army stands a moderate chance of winning? It sounds good, but I'm gonna have to try this out on paper first.

Quote:
-Fluffy, but ultimately may be a bad idea. As the only vehicle in your army it will attract enemy anti-armor like flies to honey. I estimate a 95% chance of death by turn 2 no matter what you do. An Allied CSM Las/plas Team (and some more mutants) or a two-Heavy Weapon Chosen Squad costs about the same and will give you a better return on your points. Still, if you love it, keep it.
No way. I'm sorry but Marines are a strict no-no. The Obliterators are enough, and I'll use and convert the Renegade Ogryns for them, but Marines will have no part to play in my army. I need some form of firepower, in all honesty 2 Obliterators ain't really enough, is it? Ideas?

Thanks for the help.

Old 18 Mar 2007, 03:21   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Quote:
-Ahem... *taps foot* Nightma... er, SILK, (!?) how should THAT be dealt with?
Well, as you know, the Mark of Slaanesh for Champions raises their initiative to 5, but the Champions I have, have Powerfists, so effectively I would have been wasting 10 pts. And I would represent my Champions using the Renegade Ogryns.
-Which is why I mentioned Un-Marked Champions, (Represented by Ogryn) backed by Fallen Inquisitor Josev Agustin to lead the 4th Mutant Squad.

Quote:
Quote:
I know, I know, but the models are soooo cool. Hmmm... I could take possessed and represent them with the Renegade Ogryn models, ideas?
-That could work. But how to equip the Possessed... Hmmm... *Whips out codex* I don't know, I don't see a Possessed configuration that is both fluffy and useful here. The obvious choice would seem to be Flight so that they can catch the enemy's front line, but that doesn't fit the models. Neither does Talons... Nothing useful here. I will think on this.

Quote:
Quote:
-These Squads have a HUGE footprint on the board, and if one does fail a morale check, a significant portion of your army is lost. I'd consider dropping to 4 x 15 Man squads, and use the Ogryn Models as 2 more bosses, and one more AC. The HQ final slot should belong to your SLanneshi Commander, and for the sake of fluff the lesser champs should probably not have a mark at all...
*cough* Um... I mean that you should probably duplicate your champions a few times (You have 2 HQ slots so you can have up to 6). Having a S6 and an S8 powerfist in each of 4 squads will go a long way towards fragging thine enemies. Seriously, your might consider using your Slanneshi commander and some unmarked Champs though... The Big Mutant Squd gives you plenty of points if you re-invest them. (and their models)
Hmm... I understand, so if I sacrifice the Big Mutants for smaller squads and more Champions that would make sure my army stands a moderate chance of winning? It sounds good, but I'm gonna have to try this out on paper first.
-Is reasonable.

I will never be truly dead, because even though I take up the form of the bloody handed god, and although it may drain every last bit of personality from my mind and soul, I will still be there. And if that is not enough let it be known that as long as a memory of me exists in your mind, or any other for that account, I am not truly dead, but alive in your pool of thought. - Exarch Khartu, before ascension to the Avatar of the bloody handed god- Khaine
Quote:
-Fluffy, but ultimately may be a bad idea. As the only vehicle in your army it will attract enemy anti-armor like flies to honey. I estimate a 95% chance of death by turn 2 no matter what you do. An Allied CSM Las/plas Team (and some more mutants) or a two-Heavy Weapon Chosen Squad costs about the same and will give you a better return on your points. Still, if you love it, keep it.
No way. I'm sorry but Marines are a strict no-no. The Obliterators are enough, and I'll use and convert the Renegade Ogryns for them, but Marines will have no part to play in my army. I need some form of firepower, in all honesty 2 Obliterators ain't really enough, is it? Ideas?

Thanks for the help.
[/quote]
-Need to think about it. Will edit with thoughts later.

Ged

[glow=purple,2,300]Speaker for the Keeper of Secrets - The Cult of Slannesh[/glow]

-Craftworld Paragon's Rune Sign
GedofParagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Mar 2007, 11:28   #7 (permalink)
General Stupidity

Ged,

Thanks for the help, sorry if I'm being a tad difficult. :-[

Anyway, this is just an idea, and I've got to finish my current LatD army before I think of starting anymore armies.

Oh, and to help you, here is a tad bit o' fluff for you:

[hr]

Thought for the day: No enemy can hide under the Emperors vigilance.

Purayah III, a planet recently inducted into the Imperium, is a large planet, roughly 5 times bigger than Terra, and located to the Galatic far West of the Eye of Terror. Purayah III is a planet with a massive amount of mineral resource, vital for the surrounding planets, and for the constant battle against the minions of Chaos. The native populace of Purayah III were described by an Imperial Colonist as "Mutants, all hunched over like Orks, big arms to like Orks." The Imperium has strict laws against Mutants, and the native populace of Puryah III were quickly herded out of their land, and forced to live elsewhere. Until one of the Munotorium Hierarchy came up with a plan for the Mutants.

Yevll Le'Kruuk, a member of the Munotorium hierarchy came up with what he claimed was an efficient plan which would ensure both the Imperials and the Mutants got what they wanted. Yevll's plan was to use the Mutants as miners, their muscularity was much greater than that of an ordinary Human and they could carry heavy mining equipment around. So, with haste the Mutants were trained how to mine, and then sent down to serve an existence of toil and hardship, whilst their Imperial overlords above manufactured the minerals into whatever the Imperium demanded.

Yevll, with his 'brilliant' plan was made planetary Governor, and quickly began to train and recruit the Human populace into the PDF. But little did Yevll know that his plan was set to end him. Yevll had been shipping in workers, namely Ogryns, or Ogryn like creatures. What the Humans saw in these lumbering Mutants was nothing more than an extra set of tools, but little did they know that they were actually Chaos Demagogues, and to the Ogryns advantage, the situation between the Mutants and Imperials was falling apart, due to Yevll concentrating more on those above the surface, and not the Mutants who ceaselessly toiled below.

Within weeks the demagogues had the Mutants under their influence. The demagogues were minions of the Fallen Inquisitor Josev Agustin, although Josev will not use Mutants in his fighting forces, due to him wanting to keep his disguise, and his status so that he can still manipulate the Imperials. So Josev allowed some of his most Chosen minions to depart and create their own forces. Once the demagogues had the Mutants under their influence, they began an uprising.

In the first four days of the uprising, the PDF 'supervising' the Mutants were slaughtered, and then the Mutants set their eyes on their Imperial overlords above. For the next two months Purayah III was submerged in bloodshed, and the Mutants had the element of suprise, and out numbering the Imperials 6 to 1, almost 76 million Mutants, according to Imperial records had attacked the major and capitol cities and soon the planet was under Mutant control.

A few desperate elements of PDF are still, to this day, are fighting against the Mutants and without reinforcement or warning, the Mutants have been left to run rampant.

Who will stop the Mutant menace? Will the Emperor save those who still fight on Purayah III to this day?

Old 18 Mar 2007, 14:33   #8 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Ahem... *taps foot* Nightma... er, SILK, (!?) how should THAT be dealt with?
i'll think of something.. and it will be nice and slow...

I wouldn't have a problem with it personally - it is a fairly decent mark in the LatD bit: extra attack, no running off, and for the smae price? whats not to love!

I still say you should have 120 mutants. Just the sight of all those models would be so damn cool!

Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Mar 2007, 15:37   #9 (permalink)
General Stupidity

Quote:
I wouldn't have a problem with it personally - it is a fairly decent mark in the LatD bit: extra attack, no running off, and for the smae price? whats not to love!
Hmm... to keep them Slaaneshi, instead of giving them a mark, i'll give them Daemonic Mutation!

Quote:
I still say you should have 120 mutants. Just the sight of all those models would be so damn cool!
Yeah, that would be cool. I'd love to do a WW2 Russian, Human wave army led by Political Officers (Commissars.) That would be awesome, 120 Mutants lead by a dozen Champions/Renegade Ogryns/Big Mutants...
Old 20 Mar 2007, 11:49   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to 33rd Sirican Redbacks

i run a similar army, except I take 36 (2 squads of 18) with speed (theyre skaven), a champion with a personal icon, and an icon in each, which i use to daemonbomb ppl really quick in CC, i also have 18 bloated mutants to tie ppl up in Assault.