Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

how to make CHEAP DAEMONS!
Old 15 Mar 2007, 10:31   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default how to make CHEAP DAEMONS!

i have recently been thinking about how to make certain daemon models, so far i've built 7 plague bearers and i'm planning bloodletters.

Plague bearers:

this one is really easy if you have a decent bits box.

If you have any spare models, gather the pieces. say find enough pieces for one whole guard model or one whole tau model [they look funny]

look at the various nurgle daemon models, golden daemon winners etc, get some ideas to make them look nurgley.*

here's a list of things i like to use:

Distended bellies: easy to make, look really disgusting. get a large blob of GS, roll it to fit roughly on the stomach of the model, at the top smooth it into the body of the model, at the bottom smooth the GS so it looks like the belly is rolling down, you could make gashes in it and have various things hanging out.* gashes will be explained later.

Intestines: a little hard to get right but when you do,* * nasty...* if combined with the belly this looks very nasty, just get a really thin sausage of GS,* roll the sausage into a ball [keeping the detail of the sausage] open up whatever it's going to be flowing out of [like the gashes], glue it inside the opening and with the tool cut grooves into the sausage making it look more gut like.

Boils: well, i can imagine you know what this looks like.* v. easy to make. get a little blob of GS an attach it to any surface of the model, smooth the edges into the armour, voila.

Spore pipes: a little difficult again, especially if you make them thin, think about these before you make them, where would they be best placed? Make a crater on the armour [as explained a little later], get a bit of GS and roll it into a sausage, the thickness and length will depend on how big you want the pipe, glue the pipe inside the crater, when the GS is drying use a pin vice to hollow out the end. you could also make the pipe look broken or split at the ends.*

gashes with stuff: easy to make but you need to think about how and where you want them, shoulder pads and backs are okay but if you can get them on bellies or faces. just get a little GS, flatten it across the area, make a gash in it, if you want something coming out then pull the cut open, being careful not to lift the GS.

The most disgusting, grotesque and puke enducing, the swollen eyeball: carve away at one side of the face, carefully, using little beads or tiny glass balls [like the ones you get in ink cartridges for fountain pens], make a little crater out of GS, glue the bead [carefully] inside the crater, mould the surrounding GS into little spikey arm like things to look like they're holding it in place.* a little hard for people without much experience.

Giant popped boils: make a mound of GS on large areas, with the sculpting tool, make a circle around the top of the mound, trying to make it look almost volcano like, if you want it to look like a boil breaking through armour, then around the edge of the boil mound, make little grooves that spread form the edge to to armour, smooth it in as much as possible at the point it reaches the armour.
to make it look popped carefully carve out the inside of the crater, leaving a large hollow. hopefully i have explained that with enough detail.

Tentacles: easy, use these on vents or arms, at joints in armour, in eye sockets. only your imagination can hold you back, on my teminator lieutenant i have drilled out a little hole in the vents at the back, i cut and pushed the vent to look like something was pushing through, then i simply made a sausage of GS and stuck it in. they are v. easy to make and use and give a very satisfactory nurgley look.

i have used a couple of guard models for mine, an orc [in which i used the distended belly] a skeleton/dark eldar. and a tau.* remember, plaguebearers are the victims of nurgles rot, so just go mental.

Right, plaguebearers out of the way, i could mention nurglings. i have only built one. although they are fairly hard to make in very small models, if you make them about the size of a grot, you could even use grot models! no, the point of this thread is to get cheap dameons. not rubbish metal ones... start of with a body, whatever size, model a largish belly and maybe breasts, well, man boobs if you will.
when it goes hard make the head, just use a basic blob with a few holes pushed in where the eyes and mouth will be, if you are more confident with GS you could add the details like eyes and tongues, ahh whatever.* when you have finished with the head, keep it out of the way, maybe lightly pushed onto the end of a cocktail stick. the amrs are quite hard. get a little sausage of GS, on the end get a blade and cut 2 lines at the end, where the hand will be, you could make more for more fingers, maybe even tentacles. glue these to body when dry. the legs are similar but you may want to be more careful, they look better if the thigh is thicker, like in humans,
this is a little difficult to do due to the size.

well, i hope any of that helps.* i know that GS is expensive but trust me, not so much as the models. in a full squad of plaguebearers you might use half a strip depending on how well smothered they are in stuff. a full squad of nurglings would be about the same if covered in stuff.* if you have plenty of spare models in your box then you won't need to bug your mates.* although leestar does have some pretty cool stuff...

Bloodletters.* These are only ideas at this point, i think it would work though.

buy a box of chaos beastmen, yeah you know where this is going. i don't think i need to write anything on this one.* if someone asks then i will.

i have some loose ideas for horrors and daemonettes but the ideas aren't worth writing at the moment.

Unfortunately, looking back to the things posted here, I realised I can now do much better :3

Here are my step by step tutorials for ease of use
Dreadnought close combat arms
Ig tanks
Ork PowerKlaw
messyart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Mar 2007, 11:01   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default Re: how to make CHEAP DAEMONS!

I've done the Bloodletter thing myself. I ended up making a load of Khorne Possessed out of them as well (mixed with Khorne Berserker bits). I find you can help justify them having a 3+ armour save if you give them a shield or two each. Also, be sure to give each model at least one axe.

Oh and Messyart, fear my chainaxe, you've been karma'd
FTyross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Mar 2007, 11:05   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

;D SWEET ;D

BTW, i fear no chainaxe.

i just had an idea for Nurglings, buy a box of noblars, their about the right size, just give'em loads of nurgley things.

[*(hmm, dark eldar as a basis for daemonettes. be quite easy to modify, just need decent heads.)*]

sorry, stuck in my thoughts.

Unfortunately, looking back to the things posted here, I realised I can now do much better :3

Ig tanks
Ork PowerKlaw
Old 15 Mar 2007, 15:18   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Wood elf dryads are a pretty decent basis for daemonettes.

They've got feminine bodies and long claws already. Basically all you have to do is take off the branches from their heads and paint them appropriately slaneshish. (i.e. glaring pink, vibrant blue, pale skin, some gold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farseer_Emlyn
Gah! Not a silly Canadian. Can't Falstead ever be wrong?!?!? ;D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe (Autarch Kiardras)
My god.... the sarcasm there nearly shorted out my computer screen Nice.
Falstead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Mar 2007, 17:49   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Hadhfang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falstead

They've got feminine bodies and long claws already. Basically all you have to do is take off the branches from their heads and paint them appropriately slaneshish.
well that and prune the leaves on them ;D

I had an idea on making horrors/ flamers based on squigs. Using chaos horns and adding tentacles here and there. (I was hooked on oblivion at the time and those triceratops like daedra kept popping into my mind)
Hadhfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Mar 2007, 19:50   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falstead

They've got feminine bodies and long claws already. Basically all you have to do is take off the branches from their heads and paint them appropriately slaneshish. (i.e. glaring pink, vibrant blue, pale skin, some gold)

You know I once had the idea of using Dryads as Daemonettes in a forest-y word bearer kind of army. Kinda of a chaos marine meets wood elf sort of thing
I'd hate to get on his bad side... >
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiwaz
Fishy has just proved to me that Canadians CAN be scary...
Fish Ead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Mar 2007, 20:00   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Fantasy Zombies would probably be the best base for Plaguebearers, I think... Beastmen for Bloodletters, Dryads for Daemonetes... the only thing without an equivilant cheap plastic model are the Furies and Flamers, but you can make them out of pure hot glue anud melted plastic well enough .
AuinMyrrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Mar 2007, 20:04   #8 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dra'Tuisich-Novae
Fantasy Zombies would probably be the best base for Plaguebearers, I think... Beastmen for Bloodletters, Dryads for Daemonetes... the only thing without an equivilant cheap plastic model are the Furies and Flamers, but you can make them out of pure hot glue anud melted plastic well enough .
If there is a way of making furies cheap and looking good, I will be your apprentice. :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emlyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT
They're an insane bunch of reptiles...
I wasn't asking about the moderating staff.
crisis_vyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Mar 2007, 11:12   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

OKAY PEOPLE.

ANYONE WITH A FOOLPROOF WAY TO MAKE THESE DAEMONS [cheaper than GW metal rubbish] PLEASE PLACE THE WALKTHROUGH HERE! i want to get as much money away from GW as possible.

BTW, driads wouldn't make good daemonettes, they don't look delicate enough.

i agree partially with Dra'Tuisich-Novae, zombies would be good but, as i said, they are victims of rot so you could use almost any 40k mini [except necrons].

any really good ideas for horrors?

screamers you could make with GS you might spend a bit more though, maybe use miliput?

has the plaguebearers thing actually helped anyone or have i just started a talk on cheap daemons?

Ig tanks
Ork PowerKlaw
Old 20 Mar 2007, 11:51   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to 33rd Sirican Redbacks

Skaven tails make good intestines