Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Night Lords Tactica
Old 12 Mar 2007, 15:08   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Night Lords Tactica

Led by the the Primarch known as the Night Haunter, The Night Lords are
one of the first traitor legions of Chaos. The gene-seed of the Night Lords
seems to be surprisingly pure. In fact, of all the Chaos Space Marine Legions, the Night Lords seem to bear the least evidence of mutation. This is perhaps due to a stable gene-seed stock, perhaps due to the fact they rarely associate themselves with a particular Chaos power for any length of time.
They use fear tactics as effectively as other legions use their weapons.
The legion was formed and replenished its ranks with criminals, decorating
their armor with fearful images and zealously cleansing planets in the
Emperor's name. When the Night Haunter and Rogal Dorn came to blows over a vision and the Night Haunter is exiled and finally succumbs to the whispers of Chaos. During the Horus Heresy, the Night Lords become feared and eventually the Emperor sends a Callidus assassin after the Night Haunter and he is dully dispatched. The raptors were a great company of the Night Lords, lead by Talon Master Zso Sahaal who was the heir to the Night Haunter.
The Night Lords fought on in the name of Chaos terrorizing the planets.
Using fear tactics and stealth to attack planet after planet. They love
the darkness and specialize in fast, scalpel - like attacks. They have no
agenda to fill. They kill for the love of killing. They will take daemons
into the fray (notably Furies who share they joy of killing and also revel
in fast attacks and stealth. NLs are the terrorists of Chaos, it's bogeymen,
those things in the darkest recesses of your mind that stalk you, the noise
in the attic/basement, the whisper beneath your bed... they shall visit such
atrocities that even the dark eldar are stunned by their viciousness.

They cry out in the night "We have come for you!"

Here are the basic rules for playing Night Lords ...
- They may only have the Mark of Chaos Undivided
- They may use more than one squad of Chaos Raptors
- An additional Fast Attack Choice can be used for two Heavy Support Choices
- Marines have the Night Vision Veteran Skill which doesn't contribute to their maximum skills
- Furies are the only Daemons they are allowed
- They have access to the Stealth Adept Veteran Skill

1) Try not to take marks and load up on vet skills instead.
The fluff says Night Lords despise the faithful as much as the Iimperium.
MoCU is a good option but you're some sa selling out on the fluff.
Take it on your CSM with icons to summon furies.
2) Stealth adept is your friend. You're rolling 3+ cover save because of the
terrain your sitting in. This makes your Las/Plas teams much better.
3) Avoid using costly elite units and try and get all your squads to support
one another.
4) As a corollary to 3, supporting the rest of your army is the key to victory.
Therefore CSM are quite important. You can outfit them for anti-tank, cc or fire support.
5) Both Raptors and bikes are expensive but Raptors to rapidly move about the field and With 3 meltas or engage devastators is well worth it.
Bikes are also an excellent option a high survivability.
6) Never over spend on your HQ. In games up to 1500 points I would use
Chaos Lt- D. Flight, Frag, Kia Gun, Power Sword, Stealth HQs are fitted with either D. flight or a bike to join one of the fast attack squads.
He can support your other squads comfortably and is not a
huge point sink leaving points for your 'meat and potato' squads.
7) Lightning raids are in character using bikes and raptors but they do
have a stealthy side wanting to slit throats in their enemy's sleep.
Infiltrating CSM squads are de rigueur.
8) Bear in mind that six man raptor squads and five man bike squads are
fragile. Use terrain well.
9) The only elites I might use in a NL army are Obliterators.
They are excellent fire support in a Night Lords army as generally you are not using your heavy slots. Obliterators fielded in squads of work well for this purpose.
10) CSM squads with Las/Plasma, Stealth/Infiltrate are what makes NLs a feared
tournament army. A 4+ cover save on all your 6 man lascannons squads with infiltrate has to be good.
In the old days we would see this at a lot of tournaments ...
5 CSM, Stealth Adept Skill, Lascannon, night vision
This is the cheapest way to get a lascannon with protection o the table.
I like the configuration below. Its damnably hard to wipe out even a 7 man squad of night lords with 3+/4+ cover saves and power armor. The only way to get them out of whatever building/bunker/heavy woods they are sitting in before turn 6 is to charge them and thats why I take an AC. Your forward CSM w/ MoCU unleash the furies.

Strength- Stealth adept provides tactical staying power.
Weakness- Requires a very astute sense of tactics in order to play them well

Night Lords are great if you want a fast and furious army. You may not have very many models, but the ones you do have will likely get into close combat very quickly, and can inflict a lot of damage. To play such an army, you'd have to be careful about choosing your fights and making sure you don't get overwhelmed, but the speed of your units should make the game very hair raising for your opponent. they are the chaos cities of death army.

As a last word - I've seen Vampire themed NL armies ... You can include 40 raptors with infiltrate and 30 winged possessed and a tooled out Lrd. Its scary to see but itis a on shot pony. Try a balanced list first. In Cities of deth th all Raptor army is fearsome but in most battles you had best know your tactics well.

A nice start to a NL army would contain these units ...

HQ
1x Chaos Lt- Bike, Frag, Kia Gun, Power Sword
or
1x Chaos Lt- D. Flight, Frag, Kia Gun, Power Sword, Stealth

Elites
2x Obliterators

Troops
2x CSM(6 Marines)- Las/Plasma, AC w/power sword, Stealth/Infiltrated,
2x CSM(7 Marines)- 2 plasma guns, AC w/power sword, bp Infiltrated, MoCU, icon
(marines can have night vision which doesn't contribute to their maximum skills.)

Fast Attack
1x Bikes (5 bikes) two flamers, AC w/ PF
1x Raptors (7 raptors), three melta, AC w/ LCs Infiltrated/Furious Charge
2x Furies (10)

Now for more points you can upgrade your Lt. to a Lord

Furious Charge with a Dark Blade and add some mutation- flight, strength visage,

or add in a havoc squads

Havocs, (6 marines)
3 auto cannons, 3 bolters.
Tank Hunters, Infiltarte

Zso Sahaal's Raptors and other fast attack choices for Night Lords here:
http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=41485.0
bebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Oct 2007, 17:30   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default Re: Night Lords Tactica

Would someone be willing to bring this up to date with the new codex? They'll be a small reward for those that help
FTyross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Oct 2007, 00:14   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Night Lords Guidelines:
-No Icons other than the Icon of Chaos glory, preferably none at all.
-Avoid the Demon Prince and NEVER take two.
-No Cult Troops.
-Concentrate on Bikes, Chosen, and Raptors.
-Try to be a tad light on the armor.

Other than those guidelines, with the new codex there is no real flavor for the sons of Kurze. No infiltrating infantry, no Night Vision. No Stealth. You just stay away from Icons and Cult troops, then run the army just like any other army in the codex. That is all there is to it really.
Old 15 Oct 2007, 01:00   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Um...I disagree a bit. Looks to me like we've got plenty of ways to suggest that our warband is Night Lords in the new Codex.

1. Lord rather than Sorcerer or Prince for HQ. Give him a speed upgrade (not steed, those are aligned to specific Gods), like a Bike or a jump pack. He can also take the signature Lightning Claws of the Night Lords. Take 2 and call one a lieutenant. Give one a Daemon Weapon instead of the claws and justify it as an enslaved Daemon that dared to mess with Kurze's legion.

2. Previously the Night Lords could only take 40 Raptors. Forget that. Nowadays you can have 60 Raptors in your force, with a Lightning claws bearing champ to lead each section. Previously they just moved as jump infantry, now they ARE jump infantry, so they can deep strike if desired.

3. No infiltrating infantry? How about the Chosen? Infantry that infiltrates! Ta-da! Lightning claws everywhere, melta guns, icons to summon your enslaved furies (as all Night Lords fans know, those are the only manner of Daemons the Night Lords countenance. Lesser Daemons that don't scatter and appear around the Night Lords to assail their foes represent the Furies shrieking out of the night adequately.)

4. Possessed, check.

It isn't like there is a rich history of Night Lords legions to change over. Previously you could change your army builder heading and get more raptor units and put a crummy veteran skill on your guys. Now you get more of what made the Night Lords good (raptors), it doesn't cost a fortune in points, and you don't even have to buy the "Stealth Adept" skill for them.

Let's look at the original list the guy made.

Lord: Lost his Kai gun, kept his bike and power weapon. Why would a Night Lord want a Kai Gun and a bike anyway? Give the man some lightning claws and put him on a jetpack, and have him lead some raptors around.

Elites: Obliterators? In the Night Lords? No. How about some Chosen with close combat upgrades instead? Infiltrating is used to represent how the stealthy Night Lords have crept up on their foes prior to the battle. If one MUST have oblits they can (heavy support slots aren't used) but I don't think a proper Night Lord would ally with an obliterator.

Troops: He's got a jumble of infantry here, Las/Plas and such. Put some marines in a rhino with a champ holding a power fist and an icon and call it a day.

Fast Attack: Real jumble here, how about we just fill the sky with Lightning claws? Intead of a bike unit, 2 daemon units and a raptor unit (which you could make if you wanted to), just 3 Raptor units, put Chaos Glory icons in there to summon the Daemons and keep the units from running away.

The Night Lords are easier than ever to bring to the battlefield with this new Codex. Ave Dominus Nox!

Old 15 Oct 2007, 01:43   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Now you get more of what made the Night Lords good (raptors),
Now that's funny 40kenthusiast. When Scorpian Master said he was reposting the tactica I immediately said it needs more Raptors and infiltrating chosen nad icons on the raptors. The Obliterators were useful, btw, in this army but infiltrating chosen are the better option now. I agree pretty much with your assessment. Kia guns were some good when I used to play NL, btw, but LCs are very fluffy.

Quote:
He's got a jumble of infantry here, Las/Plas and such.
Be kind. Remember that they had infiltration when those squads were set up and they could sit in cover and do some major damage. It wasn't a jumble at all. You need some firepower in a NL list so I would certainly look at adding some havoc squads and dropping Oblits as you said.

Overall, this is still a very playable army.
Old 15 Oct 2007, 13:31   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40kenthusiast
Um...I disagree a bit. Looks to me like we've got plenty of ways to suggest that our warband is Night Lords in the new Codex.

1. Lord rather than Sorcerer or Prince for HQ. Give him a speed upgrade (not steed, those are aligned to specific Gods), like a Bike or a jump pack. He can also take the signature Lightning Claws of the Night Lords. Take 2 and call one a lieutenant. Give one a Daemon Weapon instead of the claws and justify it as an enslaved Daemon that dared to mess with Kurze's legion.

2. Previously the Night Lords could only take 40 Raptors. Forget that. Nowadays you can have 60 Raptors in your force, with a Lightning claws bearing champ to lead each section. Previously they just moved as jump infantry, now they ARE jump infantry, so they can deep strike if desired.

3. No infiltrating infantry? How about the Chosen? Infantry that infiltrates! Ta-da! Lightning claws everywhere, melta guns, icons to summon your enslaved furies (as all Night Lords fans know, those are the only manner of Daemons the Night Lords countenance. Lesser Daemons that don't scatter and appear around the Night Lords to assail their foes represent the Furies shrieking out of the night adequately.)

4. Possessed, check.

It isn't like there is a rich history of Night Lords legions to change over. Previously you could change your army builder heading and get more raptor units and put a crummy veteran skill on your guys. Now you get more of what made the Night Lords good (raptors), it doesn't cost a fortune in points, and you don't even have to buy the "Stealth Adept" skill for them.

Let's look at the original list the guy made.

Lord: Lost his Kai gun, kept his bike and power weapon. Why would a Night Lord want a Kai Gun and a bike anyway? Give the man some lightning claws and put him on a jetpack, and have him lead some raptors around.

Elites: Obliterators? In the Night Lords? No. How about some Chosen with close combat upgrades instead? Infiltrating is used to represent how the stealthy Night Lords have crept up on their foes prior to the battle. If one MUST have oblits they can (heavy support slots aren't used) but I don't think a proper Night Lord would ally with an obliterator.

Troops: He's got a jumble of infantry here, Las/Plas and such. Put some marines in a rhino with a champ holding a power fist and an icon and call it a day.

Fast Attack: Real jumble here, how about we just fill the sky with Lightning claws? Intead of a bike unit, 2 daemon units and a raptor unit (which you could make if you wanted to), just 3 Raptor units, put Chaos Glory icons in there to summon the Daemons and keep the units from running away.

The Night Lords are easier than ever to bring to the battlefield with this new Codex. Ave Dominus Nox!

I must disagree on several points:

-I do not think the strength of the Night Lords was EVER Raptors. For me it has always been the use of Stealth Adepts and Infiltrate to create ambushes. Raptors were always to prohibitively expensive in both points and cash to be the core of any decent army beyond two squads while the good o'l chaos marines most certainly got the job done for alot less in both departments.

-Why not have obliterators? I can easily see the Night Lords streaking in, raiding, then dropping teleport homers to bring in Oblits right when the opponent thinks they are safe, same goes for Terminators.

-I mentioned Chosen Specifically in my mini guidelines, because they do infiltrate. What I ment by "lack of infiltrating infantry" was the lack of infiltrating infantry en mass.

-Why not a Sorcerror? Nothing ever said that the Night Lords had no Psykers amongst their ranks, had a Champion randomly mutate such a power.

-I have never, ever liked Possessed in a Night Lords Army but I can imagine them Possessing captured Loyalists and using them as blood hounds. Damn that would be cool.

-As far as Lightning Claws go, yes they are very Night Lords, but I gotta say you need to leave it to the player to load out his lord. I doubt every Night Lords warband leader has a demon weapon or lightning claws.
Old 15 Oct 2007, 18:19   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

WHAT IS LOST

The Chaos Furies used by Night Lords are now Lesser Daemons.
I loved Furies and until codex Deamons comes out I'm not
using lesser deamons

Night Lords lose the Night Vision veteran skill.
Not alot we can do here

Night Lords lose the Stealth Adept skill.
Take marks that imitate stealth adept skill

Night Lords lose the ability to trade in two Heavy Support slots for an additional Fast Attack.
I NEVER used all four fast attack slots as it is too costly

POSSIBLE SOLUTIONS

First off, NL have no official rules now so we can play them as they are meant to be played - their main weapon is fear and stealth so DSing raptors, terminators and oblits work and infiltrating chosen work well. Either Icon of Glory or certain marks can be added so they play as NL was intended to play.

The Mark of Tzeentch is similar to stealth only better as it's an invul save. Just paint them in NL colors. Give it to your shooty troops. Maybe paint the mark on their legs.

Chosen can have up to four special weapons and infiltrate. I think these are a near must have in the list. Five plasma or melta squads sound very good to me.

Terminators have become a good option now that they can teleport in next to your troops armes with combi-meltas or as assault termies. We have to choice between them an Oblits now. imho. I don't think the points really stretch for chosen, oblits and termies in any list less then 2000 points.

Reiterating the original tactica - keep your HQs cheap. Jump packs are an option but wings work too.

Obliterators and Raptors are no longer 0-1 and icons are going to be useful to bring them in. I think both these options will be used. Raptors are costly but they are what NL is about and now they are cheaper. I would be tempted to give them Mark of Khorne.

So yes, I think NL with a few changes are still playable. Mark of Khorne on Raptors, Mark of Tzeentch on troops ( we just play 'em as NL ) and some firepower to back up the list - Defilers might make an appearance and possibly Oblits.

I would avoid Vindicators and Predators as they are just not fluffy enough for Night Lords.