Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

I want an anti necron and tau army
Old 07 Mar 2007, 21:27   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to Tao-Avatar
Default I want an anti necron and tau army

I play Iron warriors, I have decent tactics with the force I have but I'm thinking it wont be enough for long... I may need to buy some different units, as necrons are getting tougher to crack (were starting 2000 pt battles soon), and after telling my tau buddy how to effectivly beat my can, I may need to revise my own stratigy... I've got an ubered lord, a few termies as a bodyguard, a few possessed, an obliterator, like 3 cc squads, 2 firepower squads, 6 bikes, and several configurations in my heavy support which include a defiler, basilisk, predator annihilator, a las&rokkit dready, a cc dready and a havoc squad

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08 Mar 2007, 00:30   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: I want an anti necron and tau army

They both suck in close combat. Tool up for cc and go light on the vehicles. Both armies excell at destroying vehicles. 3+ save close combat goodness is the way to go. You'll need to close in fast to avaiod enemy fire. Raptors( I think thats what the chaos jet pack guys are called) should do well.
Skimmers are also common in both armies. Bring some reaper auto cannons if you can.
Old 08 Mar 2007, 00:43   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Skimmers are not all that common in Necrons, as only 1 very expensive option is that... the Monolith. And even then, autocannon rounds will just bounce off.

However, against tau, take a havoc squad like this:

Havoc Squad @ 224
8x CSM
- 8x MoCu
- 4x Autocannons
- 8x Tank Hunters

These guys will down any Tau skimmer with ease, and their high volume of shots and fairly good AP will tear those Shas'la to shreds. Tasty any way you look at it.

"In the nightmare future of the far future there is only war." - Apocalypse
O Y Montyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Mar 2007, 01:03   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tao-Avatar
I play Iron warriors, I have decent tactics with the force I have but I'm thinking it wont be enough for long... I may need to buy some different units, as necrons are getting tougher to crack (were starting 2000 pt battles soon), and after telling my tau buddy how to effectivly beat my can, I may need to revise my own stratigy... I've got an ubered lord, a few termies as a bodyguard, a few possessed, an obliterator, like 3 cc squads, 2 firepower squads, 6 bikes, and several configurations in my heavy support which include a defiler, basilisk, predator annihilator, a las&rokkit dready, a cc dready and a havoc squad

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Heya,

Look no further than the Torpedo for one of your HQs. The other can be another Torpedo, or simply a daemonic speed character. The point is to have one Lord with essence for 4 wounds, with a Rune and a Bike, with Daemonic Armor. The goal is a 4 wound character that cannot be instakilled that has a 2+ invulnerable save while turboboosting. Take a powerfist and take daemonic visage. You will win every assault against Necron/Tau easily. They will test morale at -2 LD. You will beat their roll. Your fist instakills battlesuits too, so easy to stomp squishies and characters. The 2nd character, a Lt., would be another bike, with essence and a power fist and daemonic visage. This time, you're instakilllable, but 3+ inv save while boosting, another fist, and visage sends them on their way. First turn, just zip 24" into their faces. Keep the Lt., behind the Lord--he cannot be targeted so long as he's not closer than the Lord (characters, page 50, rulebook). They tag team. The 2+ inv save character takes the front, the 3+ inv save characters follows. They separate into two different assaults. Also, you could take both with armor, and just have 2, 2+ saves. That works too (heh heh).

Do not take terminators. Obliterators are ok against both, but don't take too many. Likely, 1 oblit per elite. Leave it at that. They should never be targeted since everything else is more important than one oblit.

Troops - The first 4 troops should be 6x CSM with Lascannon/PlasmaGun. They're cheap, effective and light up everything (really there for necron destroyers, and tau skimmers, etc). Alternative, don't take any of the las/plas and just go for the throat--infiltrating crazies with plasma.

Troops - Two infiltrating big squads of marines with plasmaguns and a champ with powerfist & daemonic visage. They're pretty standard in-your-face fighters. Take squads of 8 minimum, 10 preferable here. You want them to not be able to ignore you. You could take more.

Fast - None required. Bikes, if nothing else.

Heavy - Use all four. One of them should instantly be a squad of havocs with autocannons and #tank hunters. They will absolutely dominate Tau skimmers. And don't discount easy wounds against necrons of all types. A bassie should be standard at 125 points. Great at pounding everything--even tanks. The rest is up to you--I would go more havocs with more guns, I'm partial to heavy bolters. Otherwise, get missile launchers. Missiles are great against both armies--they kill necrons with no save, and they take out every tau model there is with ease. Missiles galore. They're cheaper than Lascannons and basically just as good against these two armies.

Example,

HQ1 - 205 points
Lord, Bike, Power Fist, Bionics, Spiky Bitz
Daemonic: visage, essence, rune, armour

HQ2 - 140 points.
Lt., Bike, Power Fist
Daemonic: visage, essence, armour

Elite1 - 70 points
Obliterator

Elite2 - 70 points
Obliterator

Elite3 - 70 points
Obliterator

Troop1 - 186 points.
CSM x 8,
Plasmaguns x 2
Champion - Daemonic Visage, Power Fist
#Infiltration

Troop2 - 186 points.
CSM x 8,
Plasmaguns x 2
#Infiltration

Troop3 - 186 points.
CSM x 8,
Plasmaguns x 2
#Infiltration

Troop4 - 186 points.
CSM x 8,
Plasmaguns x 2
#Infiltration

Heavy1 - 125 points.
Bassilisk, Indirect Fire

Heavy2 - 192 points.
Havocs x 8,
Missile Launchers x 4

Heavy3 - 192 points.
Havocs x 8,
Missile Launchers x 4

Heavy4 - 192 points.
Havocs x 8,
Missile Launchers x 4

2,000 points.

-- Now, before I recommend that, I would need to know - do you plan on playing scenarios & missions? If that's the case, I would probably go more mobilized. Mechanized still works just fine against necrons & tau, so consider that. The above is just an example for killing them. Beating a mission requires more mobility though.

Cheers,
Old 08 Mar 2007, 01:08   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Sorry about the bum information i forgot that destroyers are jet bikes not skimmers. I allways see a few of them when i play necrons, youd think i'd know better by now. But fast cc is your best bet in either case.
Old 08 Mar 2007, 06:30   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I'm playing rescue against necrons in our next battle... and bunker assault against tau next...
Old 08 Mar 2007, 12:08   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tao-Avatar
I'm playing rescue against necrons in our next battle... and bunker assault against tau next...
Heya,

In that case, you can use the above if it interested you at all. It's got an anchor to fire with to keep both enemies sweating, and a lot of things to move with otherwise, both attacker & defender wise, you're set.

Cheers,
Old 08 Mar 2007, 13:02   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

thanks for the advice
Old 08 Mar 2007, 16:11   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Also against Necrons, battle cannons, demolisher cannon and Earthshaker are your friends.

Iron warriors have access to all three, through the Defiler, Vindicator, and Basi

Necrons cannot save against any of them and they cannot come back because of instant death.

You can blow holes in their line from a safe distance, well not the Vindicator

Tau are just shooty as hell, I have yet to beat them
"If your soldiers show fear in the face of the Emperor's enemies, shoot the first man that falters. If this does not work shoot a man until the unit is either functioning properly or decimated. There can be no fear in the Imperial Guard."

----

Comment attributed to Commissar Ran Creed Attached to the Savlar 42nd

Status -- Killed by Friendly Fire
irishoneall is offline   Reply With Quote