Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Chaos Raptors
Old 04 Mar 2007, 15:54   #1 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default Chaos Raptors

I've got a bit of a dilemma. I have four chaos armies, one of each God. Since I'm not using Legion specific rules, I can use undivided units like Raptors in my army. I've recently bought a unit of Raptors, which will be used as an ally unit for each of the armies.

Now then, I don't want them to look like any specific one of the armies for the reasons specified above. I was wondering, how should I go about painting them so that they are visually linked to my Chaos armies, but not be linked to one of the armies above the rest (i.e. I don't want my opponents to think they Khornate Raptors and why am I using them with Slaanesh).

The way I'm probably going to go with is paint them black, with silver or gold trim and at the bottom of the legs, I'm planning on painting the four colours of the Chaos gods with it blending into the black of their armour. Each Raptor apart from the Champion will have a different colour painted on the bottom of their legs.

If you guys could think of another way to paint the Raptors, given the situation above, please post .
FTyross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Mar 2007, 18:42   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX
Default Re: Chaos Raptors

Heya,

Personally I would make them totally different from your Cult colors and play to what they are--ambush artists. Paint them in dark/natural looking Camo colors. Example would be black based, browns and greens with tin-bitz or brazen bass as your only metalics (nothing bright like silvers and golds). Then give it a good gritty wash of some vallejo smoke, or equivalent (or just some brown ink if you don't have any thing else). They can infiltrate and all, so it goes great to give them that look. If you play cities of death as often as possible (I do! hehe), then look into an urban camo look, using greys and greens using the same principles as above.

Cheers,
Old 04 Mar 2007, 21:26   #3 (permalink)
Ethereal

Hmmm, I'm not big on Marines going in camo, regardless of what they have for in fluff. I've asked my bro to paint one up in Night Lord colours to see how it looks. If I like it, then he'll paint them all or I'll paint them all the same colours. If not, then I'll just paint them myself with my idea .

Not too overkeen on the metalic drybrush really. I try to shy away from the generic paint schemes myself (I don't have pink and black Slaanesh, mine are purple and silver ).

Depending upon which theme I go for (NL or black with additional colours), then I could expand upon the fluff for the armies whichever way I leap. If I go down the Night Lord, I'll be asking you, LeeStar for some fluff of why your Legion would send me a unit of Raptors etc (keeping an eye on his interests etc, or for helping him in a difficult situation etc). If I go down the black theme, I have an Undivided Lieutenant known as Alric, who's been gifted by all the Marks (he has a Slaaneshi tentacle arm, Nurgles rot (in fluff only), psychic abilities and a Danitun Guard officer following him around) that they could form the bodyguard of.
Old 04 Mar 2007, 21:29   #4 (permalink)
Ethereal

go harlequin!!

Paint them in different colours of the legions!
Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Mar 2007, 03:44   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Polzinator Send a message via Yahoo to Polzinator

I'm a big fan of the bronzed look myself.

Polzinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Mar 2007, 08:32   #6 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightmare
go harlequin!!

Paint them in different colours of the legions!
That would be camo... No matter what terrain they have, they'll be a bit thats camo :P
Old 05 Mar 2007, 14:05   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

why not warning chevrons, maybe have black and bronze

Unfortunately, looking back to the things posted here, I realised I can now do much better :3

Here are my step by step tutorials for ease of use
Dreadnought close combat arms
Ig tanks
Ork PowerKlaw
messyart is offline   Reply With Quote