Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Battlesuit Hunting
Old 02 Mar 2007, 20:34   #1 (permalink)
Aun
Shas'El

Default Battlesuit Hunting

I was just wondering what unit/vehicle you guys thought would be the most effective for taking on Tau Battlesuits? It looks to me like chaos has one of the hardest times with battlesuits because we don't have anything that can really catch up to them except for Rapters and Lords/Lten. with Daemonic speed/flight. but Rapters aren't an option with cult lists and when the Tau player sees the big guy with wings you know that he will be gunning for him.
Old 02 Mar 2007, 21:06   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via MSN to Mole
Default Re: Battlesuit Hunting

I think the most effective way would be counter fire from CSM unit's.

What form of chaos do you play.
Old 02 Mar 2007, 21:09   #3 (permalink)
Aun
Shas'El

I play Thousand Sons. when I play Tau I use my daemon prince with flight to move up close to them using cover and then use his personal icon to bring in some Screamers.
Old 02 Mar 2007, 21:14   #4 (permalink)
General Stupidity

Hmm... Well I have battled against Tau Battlesuit heavy lists, so this is what I would recommend:

Obliterators,
Yeah, they're big, they're slow, but they have plenty of long ranged muscle. I found that Deep Striking Obliterators, usually a team of 2 that land in the right spot, can handle Battlesuits. Now, I would usually take my bets and be safe with shooting them at long range with Lascannons, although if you feel lucky you can attempt it with the Twin Linked Plasmaguns. But, Battlesuits equipped with Plasmarifles, Missile Pods or Fusion Blasters are really nasty and the usual Lascannon dogfight should work. Obliterators are also good because, whilst the Tau Battlesuits can be equipped with some mean anti TEQ weapons, Obliterators still have the advantage of being Fearless, and having a 5+ Invulnerable save. Another good way to exploit the Battlesuits is morale, whilst Obliterators are Fearless, Battlesuits are still open to Morale damage. As I said, and as I conclude, Lascannons are the safest option for taking out Battlesuits, but if you are feeling lucky, or if the Battlesuits are not equipped with Plasma Rifles and or Fusion Blasters, use the twin linked Plasmaguns.

Daemonette's and Daemonette's on Steeds,
They're cheap, can be summoned, can rend, and (if on a steed) are fast. Usually Battlesuits excel at preying on slow moving units e.g. Infantry, but the great thing with Daemonette's is that they can be summoned. Summoning, to some Chaos players, is considered not worth it, but think about it. Your Daemonette's cannot get shot or assaulted, and you can get them in the right places. Now, the reason I recommend Daemonette's is that they are cheap, and not juicy a target as Bloodletters, plus the Steeded Daemonettes are even better. The rending is a good thing as Battlesuits have a 3+ Save, and Battlesuits are in small groups, and Daemonette's should be able to handle Battlesuits in C.C.

Infiltrators,
Are a good option too. The main difficulty in defeating Battlesuits is the Jump Shoot Jump routine, which to units which move as Infantry, a real pain in the Captains Quarters. But, why not out maneuver them before they even fire the first shot? Infiltrating Havocs should be able to take down the Battlesuits, or kill enough to force a Morale check which should disable the Battlesuits. Now, when using Infiltrators it's all about the deployment, if you have the in the wrong place you are, strictly speaking, not going to stop the suits as quickly. But if you can get them in the right place, in some decent cover you should succeed. Havocs are better at this role than Chaos Marines, and also avoid Plasmaguns, as you have to get close, and to be honest you would be better off with Missile Launchers, as you not only get the range, but that means you don't have to constantly reposition, and be left out in the open.

Terminators,
Indeed Terminators are expensive, but they can work. Namely Rubric Terminators, due to the extra wound, and Nurgle Terminators for the extra toughness. The great thing with terminators is that they can move, and fire heavy weapons. Chuck in a couple of reaper autocannons, and you should be able to take down Battlesuits. [Note: That Tzeentch Terminators cannot take Reaper Autocannons, but no need to worry, as what they can't have in firepower, they can make up with incredible resilience.] Terminators are also very good in close combat, unlike they're loyalist counterparts Chaos Terminators still have access to power weapons, and lightning claws and still able to dish out a decent amount of firepower. The best, and only real way to get the Terminators close enough safely is via Deepstrike, although risky, footslooging against Tau is just a no-no. Although when they deepstrike they cannot move our assault, they can still through out a good amount of firepower, and although Autocannons cannot pierce Battlesuit armour, the Autocannons high strength is more than a match, plus the Terminators good ballistic skill, and the Autocannon being twin linked! Ensures that a good portion of your shots will hit, and lets not forget that you can take combi meltas, combi plasmas and that the Champion can take a Kai Gun.

[Note:] That I haven't tried out many of these examples (except the Infiltrators and Obliterators) out for real. The others are through experimenting at home, using proxies.

Old 02 Mar 2007, 21:20   #5 (permalink)
Aun
Shas'El

Thanks, this is really good. One thing though, nither rubric or nurgle terminators can take reaper autocannons.
Old 02 Mar 2007, 21:27   #6 (permalink)
General Stupidity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aun
Thanks, this is really good. One thing though, nither rubric or nurgle terminators can take reaper autocannons.
Curses! I must have over looked that, still, they can dish out some mean amounts of firepower, and what they cannot make up with the Reapers, they can make up for their incredible resilience.

Thanks for pointing that out.
Old 02 Mar 2007, 21:32   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal

I'd like to point out that CSM can take Move through cover, and infiltrate.

combine the two? I know that you can't take it - on acount of that silly rubric sign. But anyone else looking for some advice might want to take that if there not wanting to change the list significantly
Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Mar 2007, 21:44   #8 (permalink)
General Stupidity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightmare
I'd like to point out that CSM can take Move through cover, and infiltrate.

combine the two? I know that you can't take it - on acount of that silly rubric sign. But anyone else looking for some advice might want to take that if there not wanting to change the list significantly
Move through cover ain't that good for this kind of role, why? Well, say if you're facing a squad of 3 Battlesuits, with Missile pods, Plasma Rifles and or Fusion Blasters, you wouldn't want to get close, that is MEQ death in the making, even Nurgle units would be torn apart, thats why, it's more sensible to shoot them at distance. As the MEQ death combo is relatively short ranged, you could at least pop two Battlesuits with a squad Havocs with 4 Missile Launchers, leaving one Battlesuit left, which would either fail morale, or continue on. A single battlesuit by itself, shooting at a unit which is in cover ain't gonna kill much. But if you were gonna take the all plasma option, not only will it take you too long to get to the Battlesuits, but in order to get into range, you would be in range of the Battlesuits guns, which isn't good.

But I do agree that Move through cover would be good for repositioning, but if you get your deployment right you won't need to reposition. To be honest, I would only take Move through cover if you intend to move alot, or you are using close range weapons, or if you want to tackle the Battlesuits in Close Combat.
Old 02 Mar 2007, 21:49   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

how about an indirect-firing battlecannon off a defiler to take out "hidden" 'suits?

http://www.maj.com/gallery/Tauroc/Si..._berserker.gif
HailTheRuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Mar 2007, 21:53   #10 (permalink)
Aun
Shas'El

I was thinking about that to, but I don't have much experience with Defilers.