- Daemonic Stature
- Daemonic Resilience
- Daemonic Speed
- Daemonic Strength
- Daemonic Aura
- Daemonic Essence
- Daemonic Visage
- Frag Grenades
Beefed up for a reason. This is one of my only countercharge guys, so he needs to be hard as nails and swift. He won't come charging up the battlefield, but will hide behind or in terrain and, when they come near, ambush assaulters. For this reason, I am debating about giving him Flight instead (move over terrain).

Elites
2 Obliterators (140)

2 Obliterators (140)

2 Obliterators (140)
My swiss army knives. I designed my army to be effective even without these monstrosities. But with them, I receive extra support in ALL areas. Anti-tank? Pop up some Lascannons or Autocannons. Anti-horde? Pop up a Heavy Bolter. Anti-Termi? Pop up a Lascannon at long range or a TL Plasmagun at short range. The possibilites are endless. I do not need to rely on them to do any single thing, but they can support anything that the enemy is having an edge at.

Troops
12 Chaos Space Marines w/ Bolters (244)
- Infiltrate
- Aspiring Champion w/ Power Fist, Bolt Pistol, Daemonic Mutation, Daemonic Visage
A suppression unit. The first wave as you can say, they do not have bolt pistols because they need to unleash as any shots as possible. They have only Bolters, but they rely on number of shots to deal casualties. This keeps their cost down. I gave them a Champion for when the inevitable assault happens to them.

6 Chaos Space Marines w/ Bolters: (127)
- Lascannon
- Plasmagun
- Tank Hunters

- Lascannon
- Plasmagun
- Tank Hunters

- Lascannon
- Plasmagun
- Tank Hunters

- Lascannon
- Plasmagun
- Tank Hunters
Part of the third line, they will sit in the back firing their Lascannons at hard targets, such as tanks, monstrous creatures and heavy infantry. As the enemy closes in, they will make use of their Plasmaguns as well. They have Tank Hunters to deal with tanks far easier so they will fall faster. That way, my Obliterators will not require assisting them in tank-hunting and can focus on more important targets.

Fast Attack
None
None, as I don't find any choice useful for this army. I would take Raptors for extra mobility and objective taking, but their extreme cost makes them not worth the effort.

Heavy Support
8 Chaos Havocs w/ Bolters: (196)
- 4 Heavy Bolters
- Infiltrate

8 Chaos Havocs w/ Bolters: (172)
- 4 Heavy Bolters
The bane of all horde armies. Unleashing 24 S5 AP4 shots at BS4 at long range, a unit of Gants would be vaporized from one salvo. I took Heavy Bolters due to lack of anti-horde capabilities elsewhere in the army, and because I have enough anti-tank weapons. These are scary, and survive much longer than the Khazi Predator (or whatever it is called, the one with AC, 2HB, HL). Sheer number of shots will kill off marines well as well.

1 Vindicator (178)
- Battle Cannon
- Pintle Combi-Bolter
- Mutated Hull
- Daemonic Possession
- Smoke Launchers
The short-ranged siege vehicle. A fluffy choice, and dangerous. It has a Mutated Hull to absorb incoming fire, and Daemonic Possession so it fires every turn without worrying about shaken and stunned. It will move 12'' first turn, pop the smokes, and then shoot the following turn, unless something moves into range the first turn.

1 Basilisk (125)
- Indirect Fire
Can't forget about the indirect artillery. I'll use it to smash through infantry without exposing it to harm. It will also take the enemy a lot of extra effort to eliminate it, so it will spare other parts of my army. Plus, it is only 125 points, so it would be simply a scratch victory points wise.

Total: 1995 points (have 5 points to spend)

The only cheesy part of this list is having 6 Obliterators, but besides that I don't think the list is too bad.

A fantastic sig by Kais.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev_Enge(spc)
And there we have it. Gentlemen, we give you Black Behemoth, future Supreme Overlord of Earth.
Black Behemoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Feb 2007, 07:03   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: The Catapult of Chaos: Iron Warriors - 2000 points

I think you should put the CSM in squads of 12 and take the lascannons out , the Daemon prince is good, but maybe give some havoks anti tank weapons?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minako
The female race really is disgusting.

Tomo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Feb 2007, 13:00   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

I'm trying out MalveauX's idea of using heavy support for non-heavy roles. In theory, it seems to work very well, especially with receiving 4 heavy support choices and a couple pie plates. The cheapness of Lascannons in troops is just too good to pass up. Why pay an arm and a leg for it with Havocs? And who can resist having an infiltrating squad with 12 S5 AP4 BS4 shots unleashed a turn? Plus extra Bolter shots.

The small squads allow me to focus Lascannon fire at several targets across the board if needed, or concentrate on one target if needed. It gives me some flexibility.

BTW, I replaced the Vindicator with a Defiler. I've decided that, after hours of reflecting, that it is a better choice for this army. It has range, and gives some countercharge support for if my firing line is breached. You could say that it, along with the Daemon Prince, are the "first line" in Iron Warriors terms, with the Havocs, Oblits, and CSM being the "second line".

A fantastic sig by Kais.

Quote:
And there we have it. Gentlemen, we give you Black Behemoth, future Supreme Overlord of Earth.
Old 26 Feb 2007, 13:42   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX

Behemoth,

Looks solid to me. Good firepower. Good body count. I like the big fat infiltrating squad of bolters. A bunch of S10 lascannons will give a hard time to any armor on the board, so lovely. Your heavy choices work, though I'm not a fan of the Defiler, so long as you hide it will, it should be ok--the Bassie does what the Defiler does, better, for less. My only concern is the infiltration on the Havocs. It's not all that neccessary with heavy bolters. You don't want to be too close to your enemy, and infiltration does give you final deployment to respond to enemy deployment no doubt--but maybe drop infiltration on one squad. Deploy one normally, to dictate where your opponent thinks is a safe place to deploy. Then infiltrate/deploy last your other Havocs to show him how wrong he was thinking he was safe (heh heh). That shaves off 24 points, you're 5 over, so you have 19 to spend. 15 of that can easily be spent on your HQ or of course, on an Asp Champ. I'd give your Asp. Champ daemonic mutation and daemonic visage. Then give your Lord Visage as well. Final points, put search lights on your tanks. Then you're at 2k.

Note - I would really suggest getting indirect fire on that Defiler. Hull is ok, for games where you can't hide it, but indirect is what gives you the best use of the thing--otherwise, it's 2k points and A13 is not hard to destroy for your opponent since it's only one tank sitting there and will need LOS. Remove that with indirect fire, just like the bassie, and now he's ducking shells and still worried about all that firepower you have.

Quote:
The only cheesy part of this list is having 6 Obliterators, but besides that I don't think the list is too bad.
At 2,000 points there is NO such thing as `cheese.' 6 Obliterators is not cheesy either. Gits who think taking the weakest units in the game and making an `army' of them who whine when they get slaughtered by a strong unit are the `cheese' people who stink up atmospheres of games. It's a wargame, not a hold-my-hand-and-let-me-hurt-you game. Tell 'em to play like they have a pair.

Cheers,
Old 26 Feb 2007, 14:10   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalVeauX

At 2,000 points there is NO such thing as `cheese.' 6 Obliterators is not cheesy either. Gits who think taking the weakest units in the game and making an `army' of them who whine when they get slaughtered by a strong unit are the `cheese' people who stink up atmospheres of games. It's a wargame, not a hold-my-hand-and-let-me-hurt-you game. Tell 'em to play like they have a pair.

Cheers,
I must say I disagree with that bit. I've said it before and I'll say it again, codexes are NOT perfectly balanced. If players took only the top-of-the-line units from their codexes some armies would have quite the advantage before the game even begins. Iron Warriors can be one of those armies. I can most certainly testify that the game is certainly no fun when the result is simply a forelorn conclusion. Thus I believe that the secret to an enjoyable game is to use a relatively balanced force. That way we eliminate the extremes and are more likely to have an even game, where the result is determined more by how players use their units rather than what units were taken. I don't mind people pushing the balance a bit to account for a theme (mechanized armies etc.), but in the end people shouldn't look at your list and say "I lose" before the game even starts just because their army can't hope to reach the same level of "top-out" power as yours.

Now that that lil public service announcement is out of the way, I'll get onto the actual list. here's just some random thoughts on things

-The prince looks pretty nice to me. I'm not really sure how you crammed all that into 145pts, but I could just be adding wrong, or maybe it's a typo. I'm usually obsessed with getting 6 charging attacks out of my big man at least, but it looks like you're taking the path of the tougher prince with the resilience and all
-6 obies might cause a few groans if you ask me. I normally run 3 in 1750pt lists, o you could probably up that number a lil bit and get away with it, but 6 might be a lil much for some people.
-Not bad on the infiltraty bolter unit. Can plonk down right on an objective or table quarter and has the bodies to stick around a while.
-The Las-Plas squads are a lil boring with all the repetition going on, but they'll certainly nuke almost any tank that rears it's head
-Heavy bolter havocs are one of my favourite units. Hail to the gaunt-mulcher 3000. I don't like to get too infiltraty with my IWs, especially the fire support units, but that's just my own personal view of their fluff. I guess you could explain it as hidden gun positions or something.
-Basilisk. Check
-I've NEVER liked defilers. Especially in IW armies where you can get other ordnance without the defiler's problems. I just can't stand the sziophrenic unit disorder they suffer from. Also in a 2000pt army it's your only real vehicular fire magnet (since the prince will likely be trying to keep out of sight) and with it's dreadnought armour values, I don't expect it will last very long. Usually if I make sure that I have at least a few vehicles on the table if I have any at all to split the enemy's fire. Like this I suspect that almost every anti-tank gun in the enemy army will aim for it and I find that defilers can't take that much punishment.
I'd hate to get on his bad side... >
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiwaz
Fishy has just proved to me that Canadians CAN be scary...
Fish Ead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Feb 2007, 14:52   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Behemoth the Ghost Rider
I'm trying out MalveauX's idea of using heavy support for non-heavy roles. In theory, it seems to work very well, especially with receiving 4 heavy support choices and a couple pie plates. The cheapness of Lascannons in troops is just too good to pass up. Why pay an arm and a leg for it with Havocs?
Well are you going to be moving, because if you are then the lascannons are useless. Squads of six die esy, and we dont benefit from the "and they shall know no fear" rule, so your squads could be running away from the enemy killing 4 men. Also the defiler comes with Daemonic possession, you don't buy it, you can buy Parasitic Possession. ;D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minako
The female race really is disgusting.

Tomo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Feb 2007, 16:48   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Strange Child ( AKA Tomo1)
Quote:
I'm trying out MalveauX's idea of using heavy support for non-heavy roles. In theory, it seems to work very well, especially with receiving 4 heavy support choices and a couple pie plates. The cheapness of Lascannons in troops is just too good to pass up. Why pay an arm and a leg for it with Havocs?
Well are you going to be moving, because if you are then the lascannons are useless. Squads of six die esy, and we dont benefit from the "and they shall know no fear" rule, so your squads could be running away from the enemy killing 4 men. Also the defiler comes with Daemonic possession, you don't buy it, you can buy Parasitic Possession. ;D
Why would I move though? They'll clump up into a firebase, or spread out into a firing line. If they are about to be charged, my Prince will take care of them, or at least stop them from attacking. I have the infiltrating Bolter squad for taking objectives. And once all of the big targets are gone, a Lascannon is not good at killing light infantry so I wouldn't have to worry about moving them anyway.

Remember that we are talking about T4 3+ save marines with Ld 9. Unless tons of Lascannons and Plasmaguns are pointed at one squad, chances are they will survive. If not, the squad only costs 127 points so it isn't a big deal victory points wise.

Quote:
I've NEVER liked defilers. Especially in IW armies where you can get other ordnance without the defiler's problems. I just can't stand the sziophrenic unit disorder they suffer from. Also in a 2000pt army it's your only real vehicular fire magnet (since the prince will likely be trying to keep out of sight) and with it's dreadnought armour values, I don't expect it will last very long. Usually if I make sure that I have at least a few vehicles on the table if I have any at all to split the enemy's fire. Like this I suspect that almost every anti-tank gun in the enemy army will aim for it and I find that defilers can't take that much punishment.
With AV13 with Mutated Hull, you are right about them being fragile. With an inaccurate Ordnance weapon, low AV, and a big scare aspect, it won't be alive long. I want at least one tank, however, so that less Lascannon fire will be directed at my Obliterators, who cannot absorb LC fire as well as tanks.

Should I go with a Predator w/ Autocannon, 2 Heavy Bolters, and a Havoc Launcher? Or should I take back the Vindicator. The Pred is far more accurate and has a much better range, while the Vindicator has sheer strength. can cut through marines and Termies, and is fluffy.

A fantastic sig by Kais.

Quote:
Old 26 Feb 2007, 18:06   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

For some reason I've always loved the IW vindicator. Of course that's just me. Yeah the gun range isn't great, but the mutated hull upgrade turns it into a real monster. No one wants to advance toward that big squish cannon and it's harder to knock out now. Of course the autocannon/heavy bolter pred is another lovely vehicle. A very nice tank for it's price tag. The only thing is it doesnt generate the sheer terror that demolisher cannon can.

So I'd say if you want something that can open fire right away and mow dow light/medium infantry, the predator is your man. Plus it can take down light vehicles with the autocannon. But if you want a great fire magnet it's vindicator. Although it may never get to fire the big gun, the mere threat of it can dictate the early turns of the game.
Quote:
Old 26 Feb 2007, 19:23   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

The fear factor itself makes it good then. That means less firepower toward my Obliterators, and an unneeded amount of firepower toward my AV14 front hull, which should absorb a good amount of firepower.

Now if only we could take a Leman Russ Demolisher...

A fantastic sig by Kais.

Quote:
Old 26 Feb 2007, 22:45   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
The fear factor itself makes it good then. That means less firepower toward my Obliterators, and an unneeded amount of firepower toward my AV14 front hull, which should absorb a good amount of firepower.

Now if only we could take a Leman Russ Demolisher...
Don't make me drool No matter how nice it is, it would probably be a lil... much. Especially for an army like the IW.

Anything with a demolisher cannon is going to be a big time fire magnet. You just have to accept that the enemy may throw so much dakka into it that it spends the whole game stunned or something. Of course when I use one, that's half it's job!
Quote: