Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

The difference between Daemonhunters and Witch Hunters?
Old 21 Aug 2006, 19:39   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to Requisition Send a message via MSN to Requisition Send a message via Yahoo to Requisition
Default The difference between Daemonhunters and Witch Hunters?

Hello all, I'm a space wolves player and have been wanting to start a second army on the side for a while now and have decided daemonhunters are what I want to go with. There are many reasons for this such as the fluff, conversion options, the grey knights , the inquisitors, the beautiful models, their play style, and so much more. I mean, whats not to love? I do understand they are quite expensive, but thats perfect for me as I had planned on first making an army list(something I'm sure all post on here for help and suggestions later :P) and then slowly buying them and really putting my time into individually posing and painting each one and it looks like daemonhunters can be very rewarding for that. I've been looking around and I only have one real question left, what are all the differences between Daemonhunters and Witchunters? I understand they both hunt different things and daemon hunters have the grey knights and witchhunters have the sisters of battle, but can't both daemon and witchhunters bring each other into battle along with imperial guard, space marines, and all imperial army's? If I'm mistaken please correct me and please tell me any and all differences they have from each other.

Thanks to whoever can clear this up for me!
Requisition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Aug 2006, 19:53   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX
Default Re: The difference between Daemonhunters and Witch Hunters?

Heya,

The Inquisitorial codices all have the same basic core and allies. So you will find nearly the same Inquisitors, the same Assassins, the same Storm Troopers, the same Inducted Allies and an Orbital strike. There will be variations in there, to make one more attuned to it's particular codex (like WH have a special anti-psychic orbital strike), but at the base of it, they're the same. The armoury's are different though; very different. Malleus has more assault oriented gear and armor in the amoury. The Hereticus boys have more utility, crafty stuff, more shooting and close range things. Less big assault stuff in that armoury and few armor upgrades and assault defense upgrades; very few.

The obvious differences, are the specialty units of the force. Daemonhunter give you access to the Grey Knights as well as Daemonhosts (radicals) and a few things like Grey Knight Dreadnoughts & Land Raiders (though they're heavy support, thus cannot be allied to another army). The Witch Hunters have far more specialty units, because they came later and GW got smart and gave us more options. So you'll find the Sisters of battle (of all types), Repentia, Arcos, Zealots, Penitent Engines, etc. There are more choices in the Witch Hunters and the units are generally more flexible to cover all aspects. Daemonhunter units that are not part of the Inquisition core, are usually highly specialized and not great against all foes--anti-daemon stuff is worthless if you're not fighting a Daemon! Yet the WH stuff applies to a larger variety of things, other than the psykers. You can get more mileage out of your WHs, due to that.

So the differences are in the specialty units. And of course, what you take will reflect what you plan on using them for. You obviously don't want a bunch of anti-daemon powers and weapons, if you're fighting Tyranid, or Space Marines, where it's completely useless. So keep that in mind.

Cheers! (and welcome to the boards)
Old 21 Aug 2006, 20:05   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to Requisition Send a message via MSN to Requisition Send a message via Yahoo to Requisition

Thank you for the reply and welcome!

After reading that it seems that unless fighting a daemon heavy chaos army that Witch Hunters seems to be a better choice overall, is this true? Or is it just easier to make an overall Witch Hunters army?

Also, when you say that heavy support cannot be allied to another army does that mean I can't take other armies heavy support or if I'm using heavy support I can't ally with other army's? I wasn't aware of that either way.

Thanks!

EDIT: Hey! I've been looking around forums and things for Daemon Hunter battle reports to see what kind of armys have won the most, to see their play style in action, and just to see how they fair in battle. One forum posted one I noticed someone said that he couldn't have legally fielded one of his things for whatever reason(his land raider I belive), the person not only didn't know this, but mentioned that the army builder let him take it so it must be bugged/have overlooked that. What is this army builder he is talking about?
Old 21 Aug 2006, 21:51   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to Pirate Send a message via Yahoo to Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requisition

After reading that it seems that unless fighting a daemon heavy chaos army that Witch Hunters seems to be a better choice overall, is this true? Or is it just easier to make an overall Witch Hunters army?

Also, when you say that heavy support cannot be allied to another army does that mean I can't take other armies heavy support or if I'm using heavy support I can't ally with other army's? I wasn't aware of that either way.

Thanks!

EDIT: Hey! I've been looking around forums and things for Daemon Hunter battle reports to see what kind of armys have won the most, to see their play style in action, and just to see how they fair in battle. One forum posted one I noticed someone said that he couldn't have legally fielded one of his things for whatever reason(his land raider I belive), the person not only didn't know this, but mentioned that the army builder let him take it so it must be bugged/have overlooked that. What is this army builder he is talking about?
Army builder is software that allows you to build lists for the more popular tabletop wargames.

As for choosing either WH or DH...

I could go on and on about the two but it really comes down to this(in a nutshell).

If you like Daemonhosts(radical DH) or Grey Knights - go with DH.

If you like Inquisitorial things but want to be a bit more competitive - go WH.

With WH you get sisters and stuff If you like as well.

Now I am not saying you will lose or get your butt handed to you with DH, its just that WH is a bit more...Polished. Make sense? The WH codex is newer and it isn't based around GK and Inquisitors like DH is.

GK and Inquisitors cost many a point. :P

If I didn't make any sense please say so. I can be difficult to understand at times.

8)
Old 21 Aug 2006, 23:13   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX

Quote:

Thanks!

Heya,

Overall for a more balanced approach to a parent marine force, the Witch Hunters have more to offer you. If you already have Space Wolves, you're honestly not adding much to your army via Grey Knights that you don't already have access to in your army. Witch Hunters on the other hand offer very different things. Look into Arco Flaggalents. They're insanity in a can. And an Inquisitor can grant you the wonderful Liber Heresius in the Witch Hunters, allowing you the choice of deployment more often (great for terrain games where you want to put your opponent in the worst setup possible). You also get access to very cheap storm troopers, either way, which actually compliment the expensive of Space Wolves rather well, to put a few small cheap plasma teams roaming about, without busting big point numbers. Personally, I'd recommend Witch Hunters to you, if you only plan on putting allies into your Space Wolves.

Allies are 0-1 HQ, 0-1 Elite, 0-1 Fast Attack and 0-2 Troops. You get that from the DH or WH codex, when you take them as an ally to your Space Wolves. That means, no heavy support is available from the DH or WH codex as an ally to your Space Wolves. You're still perfectly free to take whatever you want in your normal Space Wolves list. You're allowed to take any of the above listed. You can take one fast attack and nothing else if you want. You simply have the limit of only taking a maximum of the above listed.

Army Builder is 3rd party software made to make it easy to build army rosters with. I personally do not like these softwares, because they're rarely accurate, allow people to do illlegal things, often get points incorrect or leave out options, etc or have incorrect stats. So haphazard lists come out like they were done in a blender and when you try to claim it's army builder's fault, you simply look even more like a bag of water when your opponent is giving you the "....." look. But that's just my opinion heh. I prefer codex and calculator, Excel or notepad and a pen for last minute changes.

Cheers!
Old 22 Aug 2006, 00:32   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalVeauX
Army Builder is 3rd party software made to make it easy to build army rosters with. I personally do not like these softwares, because they're rarely accurate, allow people to do illlegal things, often get points incorrect or leave out options, etc or have incorrect stats. So haphazard lists come out like they were done in a blender and when you try to claim it's army builder's fault, you simply look even more like a bag of water when your opponent is giving you the "....." look. But that's just my opinion heh. I prefer codex and calculator, Excel or notepad and a pen for last minute changes.
Ha, tell me about it. The demo version has added things up wrong! You would think that they would at least have the software add right before anything else! I type up my lists usually though. Notepad is what I usually use.

As to Requisition:
Arco Flaggalents can be taken as long as you take a Priest as a HQ choice. It's really not that bad of an option really.
Old 22 Aug 2006, 05:35   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Thanks for all information guys, I'll start looking more into Witchhunters.
Old 22 Aug 2006, 21:56   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Just so you know I meant that you can take arco's in your current army.

I wasn't clear when I said this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate
As to Requisition:
Arco Flaggalents can be taken as long as you take a Priest as a HQ choice in your current army. It's really not that bad of an option really.
My bad.

Quote:
Thanks for all information guys, I'll start looking more into Witchhunters.
I made the same decision after reading both of the codexs. After I found out how much GK cost I was flabberghasted! Daemonhunters is still a fine army to play, I just don't think I would be any good at it. :-[