Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Val'daroths Legions of Iron {Iron Warriors 1000pt list}
Closed Thread
Old 03 May 2006, 08:11   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to pettsy
Default Val'daroths Legions of Iron {Iron Warriors 1000pt list}

greetings my fellow leaders of chaos, just thought id get your options on my list before i begin crushing the lackey's of the false emperor on Medusa V.

Be as brutal as you like with the list {havent got my codex on me as my friend borrowed it and lost it > so my points may be off slightley}

Warsmith Val'daroth
with power weapon, combi-bolter, daemonic armour, demonic strength and demonic resilience

5 Chaos Marines
1 with lascannon

5 Chaos Marines
1 with lascannon

5 Chaos Marines
1 with lascannon

8 Chaos Marines
1 with heavy bolter, rest with pistols and cc weapons and aspiring champion with bolt pistol and power fist

8 Chaos Marines
1 with heavy bolter, rest with pistols and cc weapons and aspiring champion with bolt pistol and power fist

Vindicator
with demonic possession, mutated hull, parasitic possession and smoke launchers

if i have enough points left {highly doubt it} i would like to add a basilisk

thx
~PeTTsY~

"It matters not what form my enemy takes, I will slay him all the same" - Grand Master Daedelus

We are ever-living, our spirit is immortal, and long after the last of our people crumbles to dust we shall still live on. For we are the Asur and for as long as there is light then we will shine!
Old 03 May 2006, 13:48   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: Val'daroths Legions of Iron {Iron Warriors 1000pt list}

Quote:
Warsmith Val'daroth
with power weapon, combi-bolter, daemonic armour, demonic strength and demonic resilience
Switch the power weapon and d. strength for a Dark Blade, and take out the combi-bolter. Also, I'd switch out D. Armour for D. aura.

Old 03 May 2006, 14:06   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Agreed, Invulnerable saves are a must.

Drop the heavy bolters and take twin flamers instead. It'll be more assaulty.
Old 03 May 2006, 14:18   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX

Pettsy,

I assume you're posting for help on the list, because you want it to be more likely to win. So take the following advice with that in mind:

Quote:
Warsmith Val'daroth
This charcater is slow, so he'll rarely get to combat. He's covered in upgrades, which only help him in combat, where he will rarely be. He also has a twohanded bolter (rapidfire) which prevents assault if he uses it. And it takes away from his attacks, as a two handed weapon. If you don't want to have a crazy chaos HQ, I suggest you go down two routes: (1) fast combat or (2) kai gun shooting. The fast combat route, would mean taking daemonic speed, and going for a cheap setup without armor, where you just focus on speed and kill power. If you go for shooting, you simply take Flight and the Kai gun, to pop off enemy infantry fast and with speed. Either way, you can keep him cheap and as a chaos Lt.

Chaos Lt. ~ 87 points.
-Daemonic Speed
-Daemonic Resilience
Power Weapon
CCW (or bolt pistol)
Frag Grenades

That's great for combat. You can give him more upgrades, such as strength, but it's not very necessary in 1k.

Chaos Lt. ~ 90 points.
-Daemonic Flight (jump pack)
-Kai Gun

Simple sniper. He kills most infantry effortlessly, and accurately (2+, 2+!). And he's fast moving using ind. character status to avoid being a target.

Quote:
5 Chaos Marines
1 with lascannon

5 Chaos Marines
1 with lascannon

5 Chaos Marines
1 with lascannon
If you're going to go min/max, you might as well buy a plasmagun while you're at it. Otherwise, I highly recommend you go with 6 man teams, not 5 man, for scoring purposes. And if you think you need hit power, you can make them tank hunters, making them more efficient at what they do--but it's not required.

Quote:
8 Chaos Marines

8 Chaos Marines
Both of these need to be dropped. First of all, we have 8 marines with a single heavy bolter. The heavy bolter is a good gun, but not in a big squad of assault based marines. You have to stand still to shoot, and you can't assault doing that either. You need to keep moving. Nothing else moves in the list other than your vindy, so rig these marines to walk--consider dropping the heavy bolter and take a meltagun instead, or a plasmagun.

Quote:
Vindicator
with demonic possession, mutated hull, parasitic possession and smoke launchers
Vindies are powerful, but in 1k, avoid all those upgrades. Just take Hull perhaps, and call it a day. Otherwise, it costs way too much for something that can easily lose it's cannon to a glance... Vindy + Hull + Extra Armor & Smokes.

Overall - spread out your units and points. Instead of using marines for lascannons, consider an obliterator or two. They're cheaper and can fire on the move. Then use your marines to take objectives, etc, but always walking. Static is not going to win you missions.

Cheers!
Old 03 May 2006, 15:41   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Your hq needs a bit of a make-over. Hes slow and pretty point costly if you think about what hes actually gonna do in game. He will probably never see combat or see very limited action. I would scrap him and replace him with either of mal's suggestions or maybe this:

Chaos Lieutenant
Daemonic Resilience
Daemonic Speed
Dark Blade
Infiltrate
(110pts)

Hes got a bit more punch and hes faster. Hes now s6 t5 and fast. He will also be able to get a first turn assault! Just use him against weak enemies, where you barely have to make any armour saves. Thats why daemon armour is usually a waste of points. Maybe in higher point games you could look into giving him this, but right now its unnecessary.

I would go with 6 man lascannon teams with tank hunters. As mal said, better for scoring purposes and they provide you with an extra model so they have a little more survivability. You'll need these guys for the first couple of turns, so you want them to have the best chance to survive as possible.

I would take out the heavy bolter from the cc marines and maybe give them infiltrate. It will help them get to combat alot faster. Plus it will take some heat off those lascannon squads.

Ive never used a vindicator before, but from what I can see, thats too many upgrades. I would stick to just mutated hull or maybe even no upgrades, and maybe use the extra points for your marines.

I think its an ok setup, just needs a little reworking IMO.
Old 03 May 2006, 18:38   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

thx for the replies so far, looks like this list is gonna need a major overhaul

with the HQ ive armed him with what my model has, thinking about it now i can see ive make quite a large mistake with him, i like the kai gun idea so i'll gear my lord for shooting.

should i drop the three 5 man teams for two 8 man teams with bolters and meltaguns?

maybe add 2 or 3 obliterators?

after any more ideas you can throw my way ill post up another list

"It matters not what form my enemy takes, I will slay him all the same" - Grand Master Daedelus

We are ever-living, our spirit is immortal, and long after the last of our people crumbles to dust we shall still live on. For we are the Asur and for as long as there is light then we will shine!
Old 03 May 2006, 18:57   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX

Hey man,

For 1k points, you could do great with 2x Lascannon teams (with tank hunters) and 2x Obliterators (one per slot, two slots total; thanks to IW rules). Then take 2 or 3 troop selections of marines, with assault weapons that are meant to walk all the time. And remaining points can be steamed into heavy support for a small 6man havoc team with heavy bolters. Then you cover all your bases.

Hq1 - lt with kaigun/jumppack
Elite - oblit
Elite - oblit
Elite - oblit
Troop - Tank hunting Lascannon (6xmarines)
Troop - Tank hunting Lascannon (6xmarines)
Troop - Marines x 6 (2x plasma guns)
Troop - Marines x 6 (2x plasma guns)
Heavy - Havocs x 6; heavy bolters x 3
Heavy - Havocs x 6; heavy bolters x 3

For example, that's 1k points. Notice you have plenty of dakka and 5 lascannons. You will be able to tear down a lot of big targets, and you have 9 scoring units; 5 of them are moving too; and your HQ for sniping.

Now, you can alter it to fit in the vindicator if you want; but personally I wouldn't bother with vehicles if you want to get competitive. Depends what you want though.

Cheers!
Old 03 May 2006, 19:04   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

im liking, however id probabily change the 4 plasmaguns for 4 meltaguns as they have the same range if moving, won't overheat {ive never played a game where the majourity of plasma guns havent overheated}

Closed Thread