Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

The best God for beginners
Closed Thread
Old 15 Mar 2006, 23:04   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to Chugmuffin
Default The best God for beginners

Which is the best Chaotic God to start with? I'm kind of leaning toward Khorne because I like close combat, but Tzeentch and Slaanesh look pretty cool too. So post your ideas and opinions.
- Wargamer...
Old 15 Mar 2006, 23:24   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: The best God for beginners

Not trying to insult them at all, but Khorne is pretty much the easiest of the GOD armies.. With their rage for battle, they many times take control for themselves. This also makes them harder, because you need to be more careful in your movemnt.
Old 16 Mar 2006, 01:40   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chugmuffin
Which is the best Chaotic God to start with? I'm kind of leaning toward Khorne because I like close combat, but Tzeentch and Slaanesh look pretty cool too. So post your ideas and opinions.
Hey man,

Have you read the intro to the Cults & Legions? If not, Click Here. It's not too long and can give you a lot of quick infos on all the possibilities.

You already seem to have an idea of what you're looking to do, but I'll give you some suggestions:

1 - Gods (Cults) aren't particularly easy to start. Of them all, Slaneesh is the easiest because it has the least amount of restrictions and limitations. They just pay a lot of points and get the same old stuff, and better stuff to replace it. They are awesome in combat and in shooting both the same. There's not really anything negative at all about Slaneesh other than that it can get expensive with upgrades. The other gods all have severe limitations imposed for their bonuses. So keep that in mind.

2 - The easiest way to start Chaos, is to keep it undivided. That means, you can just use nearly anything almost. Then you're not limited or stuck playing a certain way or using a unit you don't particularly like.

3 - If you want a theme to being, and you're not heart-set on the Cults already, I'd suggest a beginning with an undivided Legion, like the Alpha Legion or the Night Lords.

4 - In the end - I'd simply suggest going with what you like the look of. And remember this: you can use any of the models you like, and use different rules for them. Plague Marines look awesome, but you don't have to play Death Guard to use the models for example!

Cheers!
Old 16 Mar 2006, 04:22   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Slaanesh, because it's a power gamers dream come true. I barely even have to play my army, it just wins with superior close combat/firepower. You have fewer troops, but that is the same with any chaos book.

Join the arena, and succumb to the eternal lust!
http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=9054.0
Old 17 Mar 2006, 08:43   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

undivied until you find what you want from your army and really understand how the game works and the different gods and how they will limit/benefit you

Old 17 Mar 2006, 08:55   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

I think its easier to play a world eaters (all khorne) army, simply because the models basically play themselves almost half the time. You really just charge, and hope you don't die before getting into close combat. Though, khorne does take alot of strategy and luck to be sucessful with.
Old 17 Mar 2006, 09:14   #7 (permalink)
Cvs
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to Cvs

I would definatly say just make an Undivided Army. I started with world eaters (all khorne) and had a struggle learning the rules. I still dont fully understand the proper rules of it, But im getting there. I myself have changed to Vanilla just to get a feel for it. And then im going to change to Night Lords.

Read the intro to Cults & Legions. It is really helpful, and made me change to Undivided from khorne, And now im having more fun mixing between CC and Range instead of all CC, Anyways, Before you make your final choice get the codex and read through it, There is alot of Helpful Pages about all of the Undivided Legions, And even more info, Including there Special Characters About the 4 Cults.

Hope this was helpful.

[Cvs]
Old 17 Mar 2006, 09:24   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I said undivided because it is still easy and you get the all the range of models, plus you are able to actually learn tactics and rules... though i suppose its up to each individual person

Old 17 Mar 2006, 20:02   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to blade_masda

As a past player of all chaos legions i can offically say that undivided is the best god for beginers.
firstly, i started with the death guard and they are the 2nd worst team for a beginner to start with (1st being tzeench). they get NO troop mounted heavy wepons ant must take vehicles. in addition, rinos take a fast attack slot, but you need them to get up close. overall, there to pint costly to take as a first army
secondly, khrone is good, no doubts to that, but mostly requires luck to win (hoping to god your havocs dont run toward the enemy to bludgen them to death with lasconnons and trying to keep your depleted squard from charging and eldar avatar. it is only good if you are fighting another nooby who is just as clueless as you (no offence).
third, slannesh is great (my personal favorite) because of their ability to much the enemy in cc b4 they can do a thing. their only roblem is in the 500p army area. its nearly impossible to get a good HQ , 2 troops who can hold their ground or advance and get a heavy support choice (havocs in a 500p army will own all especially w/ 4 blastmeasters ) if the enemy has anti tank and you dont, your screwed. otherwise slanesh would be good
last is tzennch. to put it simply TZENCH COST 2 MANY FLIPPING POINTS TO FEILD A GOOD ARMY. was that 2 loud?

srry for the huge long rant there, but i guess my main point is use an undivided legoin to learn the ropes, then switch later (you can convert your troop with paint) or not switch at all. may a suggest the alph legoin ( all infiltrate, extremly cheap, yet capable], troop choice, [the cultist] and just amagine an hight powered anti-everything daemon prince infiltrating into an enemy hardpoint.

-Shas'el Dal'yth Tsua'm Ukos, in refference to the 13th Repentant Adeptus Astartes of Overlord Deathwing
Old 17 Mar 2006, 23:20   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by blade_masda
secondly, khrone is good, no doubts to that, but mostly requires luck to win (hoping to god your havocs dont run toward the enemy to bludgen them to death with lasconnons
Khorne can't take havocs, so don't worry about that.

I guess now that i think of it... undivided is definately the way to go. You get access to basically everything in the codex, theres no real special rules to learn/understand. Good undivided lists can almost always be competitive unlike khorne. I really do hope they would try and make khorne a more flexible/playable army. Khorne is pretty appealing when you first read about them, but once you read the rules.... well.... they're not so appealing anymore.
Closed Thread