Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

New Army: Iron Warriors
Closed Thread
Old 16 Jan 2006, 16:48   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default New Army: Iron Warriors

I've just started out with Iron Warriors. I'm a hobbiest rather than a gamer as living in the middle of no-where makes playing very difficault or atleast not a common occurance.

Anyway Iron Warriors... starting out with the very basics I aim to build up one unit at a time. Basic organisation requires 1 HQ and 2 TROOPS so thats what I've got, plus a HEAVY... I chose Iron Warriors because they don't bother with demons, and they don't like mutation, the cut of the offending parts and replace them with bionics!

HQ...
Warsmith
Demonic Essence, Demonic Resilliance, Demonic Strength, Demonic Talons, Bionics, Servo-arm.

This is guy is one of my modelling projects, I wanted something a little different, so I've gone for a Doc Oc inspired monster with the Warsmith being carried on guitar wire clawed appendages, which explains the Demonic Gifts I gave him.

TROOPS...
Squad Artemus... Aspiring Champion leading 7 marines (2 with plasma guns the rest with bolters)

Squard Arkemedes... Aspiring Champion leading 7 marines (all with close combat weapons and bolt pistols)

HEAVY...
Land Raider...

Another modeling project based off a space marine land raider I bought years ago and never finished so now its getting a new lease of life.

Anyway my question is really what should I have next? Bearing in mind that I'm more interested in what looks good that what fights well. Suggestions will be welcome...
Old 16 Jan 2006, 18:57   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX
Default Re: New Army: Iron Warriors

Darthgus:

Heya, sounds great! The hobby aspect of the Iron Warriors, allows from some beautiful paintscheme, if you're into NMM instead of metallic paints. And of course, really well done metallic also look great.

Anyhow, since the army list isn't your main goal, but more the modeling aspect, I'll make a few suggestions:

HQ:

Warsmith; while they're not a daemonically based army, they still can include daemonic traits. From a competitive aspect, the HQ in the iron warriors is one of your best assault units, and can be quite powerful. However, if you want him to stand back and be the warsmith, I'd suggest something along the lines of the Kai Gun, allowing him a potent shooting attack with his gravy BS5. I would suggest dropping daemonic talons, while it may sound cool for modeling, it's not a great upgrade for a small lord that is this expensive and this slow, especially with a Servo Arm. In combat, that arm is more potent anyways, and in the shooting phase, you could send out the Kai Gun's attacks. I would also suggest dropping strength, because it doesn't get doubled with the servo arm, making it not such a hot ticket. Resilience and essence are good upgrades and bionics, while not very useful, are almost mandatory due to fluff and modeling aspects. So a suggestion:

Warsmith
-Kai Gun
-Daemonic Essence
-Daemonic Resilience
Bionics
Servo-Arm

Troop1:

Lots of normal marines should be a big aspect of the list. Twin-plasma guns is a great idea. You can even give them #Tank Hunters veteran skill to allow them Str8 plasma versus vehicles, which can be a help against transports and the like, taking less emphasis away from your other anti-tank units.

Troop2:

Assault based units are also good; I'd suggest a Rhino though, because you need them to move, not just for assault, but for all things involving missions and the like; plus they're iron warriors, they need more iron

Heavy1:

Personally, I'd avoid the Land Raider for a first heavy support. It's much too expensive and not so useful. I would however, suggest looking into two other tanks: (1) you have access to a Vindicator. This is like a Chaos version of a Demolisher, since you can give it chaos upgrades (mutated hull for example). That's a potent A14 tank with a demolisher cannon, that can really lay the hurt down, for very cheap. (2) Predators are just gravy. You can't have enough of them, but I'd suggest avoiding lascannon setups on them, and instead, take cheap super dakka tanks, like Autoannons, heavy bolters and havoc launcher upgrades.

Otherwise, heavy support is a great place for Havoc teams. Havocs with heavy bolters and havocs with autocannons for example, can be devilishly good, and look wonderful. Iron within!

--- Anyhow, those suggestions are a combination of "looking good" and "working well" in terms of looks and functionality.

Cheers!
Old 16 Jan 2006, 22:45   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalVeauX
(1) you have access to a Vindicator. This is like a Chaos version of a Demolisher, since you can give it chaos upgrades (mutated hull for example). That's a potent A14 tank with a demolisher cannon, that can really lay the hurt down, for very cheap.
see if you can find any pics of Christian Byrne's Iron Warriors Vindicator, I think that looks pretty cool.

I've created a new Manga/ Anime series.

In the near-future, the French police pilot giant robot suits to keep their country safe; they are...

GENDARME WING
Old 17 Jan 2006, 08:20   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via AIM to babydip369

Well playing IW for about 4 months here are some things to avoid, a lot of tanks, yes sounds weird but don't take that many, I usually go for Vindicator, basilisk and Defiler. Oh with the Oblitorators they seem to do better when they are in play and don't go over six it's just not that good. Oh and for troops you should have at least 3.
P.s.:Converting Iron warrior termies are fun
Old 17 Jan 2006, 17:16   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I've been playing Iron Warriors for about two months now, since the Sol' Diantur campaign my local GW held. I'm not to sure if it was all over the place but yeah... Any ways, I had to learn how to use them and fast, because every week the game size increased, and starting from scratch (well i converted my half built loyalist mariens so i could make the points...barely) really had an effect on what I could feild. I started with a base Lt. with a combi-melta, and then took three troop choices. 2 squads of 7 with Autocannons (GREAT! for taking down heavy infantry) and then as a points filler, took a squad of 5 with a Heavy Bolter. For Heavies I started with a Dreadnought with TL Autocannon. It worked great! The first 2 games I won easily, despite the table being terrain heavy. The next two were not so great, and I came up with a tie for both, but seeign as that wouldnt really fit the campaign, GW labeled it a loss.

Any way, I ended up with a nice 1000pt army, altho I could potentially feild up to 1500, or even mix up the list a little bit. A Chaos Lord would be better fitted for combat. Join him to your CC squad and equip them with a rhino and you have one nasty unit there. Then take two units with Autocannons. I find this configuration to be alot more efficient at taking down transports and heavy infantry. Even a defiler every now and then. Next comes your Heavies. A dreadnought is a must. I used to beleive them to be fire magnets, and to an extent they are, but in all through out the campaign, I lost it only once. Equip him withe either the DCCW and Autocannon, or the Lascannon and Missile Launcher and he will do wonders. A Defiler is nice for taking down those large pesky low point low toughness squads, however, its uses are limited due to its high points cost. I take him any way, as he was a key elemant in all my games. In two turns he wiped out over half a unit of Thousand Sons (One unit per turn) and brought the game to a draw, rather then a victory. Even against Marines he comes in handy. But all in all its up to you to decide whats right for your army.

Ender
"Strive For Perfection
And Strike With Precision
Soon It Blows Up In Your Face
And The Smoke Blurs Your Vision"
-Mushroomhead

Formerly Andrew "Ender" Wiggen.
Old 18 Jan 2006, 08:02   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Thanks for everyones input.

I realise that what I'm short of is Heavy Weapons at the moment and the most effective way to resolve that is by using Havoks, so I expect my next purchase will be in that direction.

I'm avoiding vehicles (except the Land Raider which I already own) because they take so long to paint and I rarely have the grit for something so large.

I've finished my first squad, unfortunatly the photos look terrible, very disapointing. They look fine in person but the metalics seam to be throwing the camera focus off. Usually I don't use metalics, but I felt like a change. My Warsmith has take a step toward completion: both the mini and the base have been built. I had to cut him up again part way through construction when I took the advice above and gave him a Kai Gun, I found a suitable looking weapon to represent it in the bits box.
Old 19 Jan 2006, 23:33   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Though I'd drop a link in here to a thread in the convertion area of the forum where I'm talking about my work on my Warsmith...

http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=16914.0
Old 20 Jan 2006, 00:56   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthgus
Though I'd drop a link in here to a thread in the convertion area of the forum where I'm talking about my work on my Warsmith...

http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=16914.0
Looking great man! I foresee a wonderful army being built
Keep us updated!

Cheers!
Old 22 Jan 2006, 19:18   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Polzinator Send a message via Yahoo to Polzinator

I got a question about Servo Arms. Do they only provide 1 Power Fist attack or do all of his attacks become Power Fist attacks?

Nice Warsmith by the way.

Old 22 Jan 2006, 19:38   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

Codex says one additional attack which counts as a powerfist.

So I'd have to say that all other attacks are made as normal.

Thanks for the comment on the Warsmith, I'm still trying to locate enough bits to get him finished.