Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Starting a 1000pt chaos army
Closed Thread
Old 13 Jan 2006, 18:31   #21 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: Starting a 1000pt chaos army

HQ:
Chaos Lord
Mark of Khorne
Daemonic Essence
Daemonic Stature
Daemonic Strength
Daemonic Flight
Berserker Glaive
Combi-Bolter
(183 points)

Elite:
Obliterators x 2
(140 points)

Troops:
Khorne Berserkers x 8
Marks of Khorne
8x Khornate Chainaxes
Aspiring Champion
Mark of Khorne
Feel no Pain
Talisman of Burning Blood
Lightning Claws
Furious Charge
(280 points)

Chaos Space Marines x 7
2x missile launchers
(118 points)

Chaos Space Marines x 6
2x heavy bolters
(94 points)

Heavy Support:
Havocs x 10
4x heavy bolters
(182 points)

TOTAL: 997

I had to get rid of resillience to stay under the daemonic gift limit and i added lightning claws instead of a power fist. There are numerous small changes I made.

Old 13 Jan 2006, 19:26   #22 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX

Mikevick:

Well, not to sound like an echo. But seriously, you should read up man. Your lord is illegal yet again.

HQ:

You cannot combine flight with the glaive. This was printed in the latest chaos codex, if you do not have this latest codex, you may want to seek one out so you can read it for yourself because this is a huge fix. Models with glaives may never take enhanced movement modes.

Next up, your combat king here, has a combi-bolter. This is a rapid-fire weapon and if you fire it, you may not assault afterwards as par the rules of rapid-fire.

The good news, is that you got your limit down to 100 daemonic gift points, so that's good! Unfortunately the Lord still doesn't work, so you'll need to address that.

Elite:

Perfect.

Troop1:

You've purchased upgrades odd for your Troop, because they're much more expensive than they should be. Here's some notes:

1 - When you buy chainaxes, it's per model. You shouldn't buy one for your champion, as he will be taking a very different weapon which replaces it's usefulness (lighting claws); so only buy 7 chainaxes.

2 - When you buy furious charge, it's for the entire squad as a whole. So simply calculate the number of models in the unit, and the price of furious charge for them. You don't buy it separately for your champion.

3 - Lightingclaws are considered a pair of weapons, and only work if you use just them; the chainaxe will not help your champ, so again, no need to buy an 8th chainaxe. Lighting claws are a great upgrade though. I would highly suggest daemonic strength with them.

So for example, fixing your squad:

Berserkers x 8
Mark of Khorne x 8
Chainaxes x 7
-Champion
-Feel no Pain (this only works for your single champion model, not the squad)
-Talisman of Burning Blood
-Pair of Lighting Claws
#Furious Charge (buy it for the whole squad)

~236 points (not 280)

Troop2:

7 marines, 2 missiles. Read the entry for troop chaos marines. You cannot buy two heavy weapons. This is illegal.

Troop3:

Again, read the entry. Two heavy bolters is illegal. Only Chosen and Havocs may do this.

Heavy1:

Havocs with 4 heavy bolters. Looks great.
However, they are priced oddly. 10 marines with 4 heavy bolters here, cost 200 points, not 182....). Where are you getting your point values?

--- I strongly suggest you read each unit's profile again, read their entries, and read the descriptions of wargear.

Cheers!
Old 14 Jan 2006, 00:37   #23 (permalink)
Shas'La

ok, well i didnt add up the points properly the first time, but now its right and i fixed illegal upgrades. i didnt know that you could have 2 special weapons in a CSM squad but not 2 heavy weapons. Also i cant really think of a weapon upgrade other then the combi-bolter for my lord. Now that i got rid of berserker glaive, my lords BS goes back to normal, so i think that if i cant get into CC then at least i can be effective from long range with my combi bolter.

HQ:
Chaos Lord
Mark of Khorne
Daemonic Essence
Daemonic Stature
Daemonic Strength
Daemonic Flight
Daemonic Aura
Rage of Khorne
Feel No Pain
Great Weapon
Combi-Bolter
(181 points)

Elite:
Obliterators x 2
(140 points)

Troops:
Khorne Berserkers x 8
Marks of Khorne x 8
7x Khornate Chainaxes
Furious Charge x 8
Aspiring Champion
Talisman of Burning Blood
Lightning Claws
(231 points)

Chaos Space Marines x 8
2x plasma guns
(132 points)

Heavy Support:
Havocs x 7
4x heavy bolters
(158 points)

Havocs x 7
3x missile launchers
(158 points)

TOTAL: 1000

sorry for all the illegal squads and me reposting my list so many times. This must be annoying for you MalVeauX.
Old 14 Jan 2006, 00:59   #24 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07mikevick07
ok, well i didnt add up the points properly the first time, but now its right and i fixed illegal upgrades. i didnt know that you could have 2 special weapons in a CSM squad but not 2 heavy weapons. Also i cant really think of a weapon upgrade other then the combi-bolter for my lord. Now that i got rid of berserker glaive, my lords BS goes back to normal, so i think that if i cant get into CC then at least i can be effective from long range with my combi bolter.

Dude, the stature is what alters you WS and Bs, not the glaive., but if you must take a weapon for your khornate lord other then the glaive, I say axe of Khorne, get 6's in a to hit roll and you get an aditional attack, and since your lord ignores armor saves, you can do a lote of damage( this, of course, if you don't want the glaive).
Old 14 Jan 2006, 01:23   #25 (permalink)
Shas'O

Mikevick:

No problems man; it's what we're here for.

As Tripod pointed out, it's the Stature that alters your profile stats. Also note: chaos lords in general don't need and shouldn't really have "guns" so to speak. Marines can shoot nearly just as good. But they're not as nasty in combat as he is; so don't feel bad focusing on combat and saving points. That's what he's for.

List:

HQ: You cannot have 2x two handed weapons (great weapon & combi-bolter). So this is illegal.
Otherwise, he's not bad, but low on attacks, and very price for what he is. I recommend you stay with your Glaive and just keep him simple. Refer to my previous posts on an example lord. Otherwise, consider something like this:

Chaos Lord
Mark of Khorne
-Daemonic Stature
-Daemonic Resilience
-Daemonic Strength
-Daemonic Essence
-Daemonic Aura
-Daemonic Flight
-Feel No Pain
-Daemonic Venom
Spiky Bitz

This way, he's fast, has 6 attacks on the charge, S6/T6 and W4, along with 3+/5+ saves and his Feel No Pain save. He can even re-roll a miss in combat, which is almost as good as having an extra attack. Very potent and not too crazy. Just an idea/example for you.

Elite:

Again, perfect.

Troop1:

Looks good.

Troop2:

Looks good.

Heavy1:

Looks good.

Heav2:

Looks good.

----Overall, you're on the right track. Just a few things to alter with your HQ and the rest is fine.

Cheers!

Old 14 Jan 2006, 05:13   #26 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod the 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeH
In my opinion, drop the essense, strength, mutation and speed (I don't know about stature, if it works for you), and get demonic flygth. For the deamon weapon, I would say Kaigun because since your lord has stature it counts as a 1 handed weapon and in his other hand.
Thats what i thought too, but then i read over daemonic stature in the codex and found out that this is illegal as MalVeauX had said.

Anyways, Heres my new lord

HQ:
Chaos Lord
Mark of Khorne
Daemonic Essence
Daemonic Stature
Daemonic Strength
Daemonic Resilience
Berserker Glaive
Feel No Pain
(170 points)

I had to get rid of daemonic flight because of the daemon weapon and my only concerns with my lord (eventhough he can get in blood frenzy) are: will he be fast enough to manuver around the battlefield without dying quickly? and would it be worth it to sacrifice the 4+ inv save and the double attack power of the berserker glaive for rage of khorne & the Dark Blade or for the lightning claws & rage of khorne?
Old 14 Jan 2006, 05:40   #27 (permalink)
Shas'O

Mikevick:

Actually the Kai-Gun is special; you will find in the back of the codex, in the summary, that it states that models with daemonic stature may use the kai gun as a one handed weapon. The true problem of this, exception, however is that you're still talking about BS3 on your Lord due to stature. That's 50% chance to hit, hitting on 4+, instead of a lord's normal 2+ to hit. Huge drop in worth there. Overall, the Kai Gun is not a good choice on a statured model, especially as it counts towards daemonic gifts and does so very little in their hands at BS3.

Your new Lord looks perfect.

Your Glaive is incredibly powerful; I would not drop it for a Dark Blade and Rage of Khorne (rage is not that good; it only works when you actually charge, after that, it's useless in combat). More attacks = better than a few stronger attacks. Lighting claws cannot even be used by models with stature, mind you.

Cheers!
Old 14 Jan 2006, 05:49   #28 (permalink)
Shas'La

Alright so i guess my army is set for 1000 points. Thanks to everyone that posted their comments and feedback, i appreciate it.
Closed Thread