Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

chaos list Space Wolf 13th Company (1850 pts)
Closed Thread
Old 02 Jan 2006, 02:40   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default chaos list Space Wolf 13th Company (1850 pts)

the fluff:

a 13th company warband has been prowling the eye of terror a bit too long.

before battle Rune Priest "Gleipnir" (chosen ass. champ) psychically agitates the gene seed of Wulfen Lord "Tyr One-Hand" (khorne d.p.), allowing the canis helix to fully possess him. already a huge man (even for a space marine) he becomes positively beastly. accompanying the warband are three ancient long fangs in runic terminator armor with an attached servo harness weapon system (obliterators). several battle depleted squads of grey slayers (chaos marines) attempt to stalk and close with the enemy, while using hunting horns (chaos icons) to direct the actions of (summon) the concealed and lurking wulfen (bloodletters) and fenris wolves (furies). both of which have been altered by their time in the eye. (as a note the wolves fluffwise are excellent climbers/leapers not fliers). without the benefit of being able to implant gene seed to reinforce themselves, the warband has taken on some feral world human aspirants who managed to impress the Wolves with their fieldcraft (kroot hunter kindred).

the army is supposed to be "loyal" marines and followers, not traitors and demons, so i have ignored the chaos fluff (not rules) in favor of my own.

the list:

1 chaos lord (wulfen lord Tyr One-Hand) 192pts
khorne mark, furious charge, ccw, spiky bits, frags
aura, stature, speed, resilience, dread axe, collar of khorne, feel no pain

3 obliterators (long fangs) 210pts

6 chosen (rune priest Gleipnir and retinue) 230pts
nurgle mark, infiltrate, 2 plasma guns
ass. champ sorcerer,gift or 2 minor powers, warp focus, pow fist and bolter

8 bloodletters (wulfen) 208pts

(4x) 6 marines (grey slayers) 128pts (512pts)
MoCu, infiltrate, 2 plasma guns

(3x) 9 furies (fenris wolves) 135pts (405pts)

9 kroot hunter kindred (aspirant scouts) 93pts
sniper rifles, shaper

the question:

how's this look? i tried to remain faithful to the general feel of the 13th company list. though obviously i allowed myself some mutation from it.

Old 02 Jan 2006, 08:23   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: chaos list Space Wolf 13th Company (1850 pts)

The army itself looks ok. It's very light on anti tank though. I have one issue with the Wolf Lord knowingly using a Demon weapon, as you are still a loyalist chapter and despite being lost in the warp for too long I don't believe the 13th company condones using Daemon weapons.

A dark blade might make a good substitute for a Frost blad, similar cost, strength bonus, one handed....

Have you considered making your Rune priest a LT sorceror in terminator armor? His deepstrike could simulate a "gate", and you could drop the fairly useless and bloated champ from the chosen unit. It seems like you're just making him a sorceror to convey the fact he represents the rune priest, when in fact the priest has no powers besides the teleport.

I also think stature is a big step up from the original wolf lord. Perhaps something like this?

Lord, Khorne Mark
-Darkblade
-Resilience
-Speed
-Aura
-Mutation
-Spikey bits
-Collar of Khorne (I would drop it personally but for fluff's sake it sounds ok
-Frags

167 points

One less point of toughness than your lord, but can be hidden, always has strength 6 for wounding marines and not just on the charge as your current lord is strength 5.. Overall it's cheaper and kills more units than your lord, I would think.
Join the arena, and succumb to the eternal lust!
http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=9054.0
Old 02 Jan 2006, 12:42   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

list is illegal. your lord has mark of khorne. you cant take MoCU or MoN if he has that.

"What warriors of men can stand beside the Space Wolves! The Sons of Fenris they are, hardened in the forge of their harsh world, eager for battle and honour. They are the grey warriors, ashen like the wolf, whose greatest joy is to hear the clamour of steel amidst the din of war. None can step before them, they are the first, proud in their strength and jealous of their renown. Through the storms of the warp they come, upon the very tides of terror, but of such dangers they are uncaring. They are the Space Wolves, the Undefeated, the bane of the Emperor's foes."
Old 02 Jan 2006, 13:21   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadnight
list is illegal. your lord has mark of khorne. you cant take MoCU or MoN if he has that.
His list is legal.

The only thing the mark of khorne is doing here, is allowing him to field other units marked khorne, without them becoming "elites." He didn't take any others, so nothing changes in terms of marks. Anything non-khorne rests (undivided never changes, regardless of HQ mark) in place. The Nurgle mark would become an elite on whatever unit marked, but his elite is marked nurgle and it won't change place either. Also, none of his marks are in conflict--only Slaneesh conflicts with Khorne.

Perhaps you were confused with how marks work?

Quote:
the question:

how's this look? i tried to remain faithful to the general feel of the 13th company list. though obviously i allowed myself some mutation from it.
Personally, it doesn't really look 13th Company to me. Chaos just can't accomplish that. The reason, is because they're supposed to be small groups, very expensive, and starting far away. In your case, you get to remove all the negative traits, and instead, take cheaper troops who infiltrate up close with the plasma goodies. Not to mention all the nasty daemons who arrive, without having to walk.

As a chaos list though, I think you're on the right track.
And I agree with ShadowDeth about your Lord. I would definitely not take Stature for a 13th Co list.
However, I would remove Khorne from the list. I would simply rest Undivided so that your expensive HQ can infiltrate as well.

Cheers!
Old 02 Jan 2006, 15:22   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

I really like the creative thinking you put into the list. This opens up alot of options for my thinking on how to build a chaos list and not present it as a chaos army per say. Good work and thanks for the ideas.
Old 02 Jan 2006, 16:03   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalVeauX
His list is legal.

The only thing the mark of khorne is doing here, is allowing him to field other units marked khorne, without them becoming "elites." He didn't take any others, so nothing changes in terms of marks. Anything non-khorne rests (undivided never changes, regardless of HQ mark) in place. The Nurgle mark would become an elite on whatever unit marked, but his elite is marked nurgle and it won't change place either. Also, none of his marks are in conflict--only Slaneesh conflicts with Khorne.

Perhaps you were confused with how marks work?
my understanding was if you take a lord with a specific mark, the rest of your army must take that mark as well. in any case, my codex is about 50 miles away from me. I like the list. i like the fluff. just that technicality.

"What warriors of men can stand beside the Space Wolves! The Sons of Fenris they are, hardened in the forge of their harsh world, eager for battle and honour. They are the grey warriors, ashen like the wolf, whose greatest joy is to hear the clamour of steel amidst the din of war. None can step before them, they are the first, proud in their strength and jealous of their renown. Through the storms of the warp they come, upon the very tides of terror, but of such dangers they are uncaring. They are the Space Wolves, the Undefeated, the bane of the Emperor's foes."
Old 02 Jan 2006, 16:14   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadnight
my understanding was if you take a lord with a specific mark, the rest of your army must take that mark as well. in any case, my codex is about 50 miles away from me. I like the list. i like the fluff. just that technicality.
That's not how it works. The only thing that the HQ's mark represents, are which marks do not become elites, and which marks may not be used due to ancient enemy rules. If he has a marked HQ (Khorne in this case), the only thing that changes, is that all units that are also marked as khorne, will not become an elite selection (while normally they would). Other marks, will be treated as normal, and become elite selections (they are not forbidden from being taken). The mark of Undivided is special in that it does not adhere to this rule, as it may always stay in it's appropriate slot and may always be used. The only thing that would stop the mark of undivided, is a pure cult army that wishes to remain pure.

Cheers!
Old 03 Jan 2006, 11:42   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowDeth
The army itself looks ok. It's very light on anti tank though. I have one issue with the Wolf Lord knowingly using a Demon weapon, as you are still a loyalist chapter and despite being lost in the warp for too long I don't believe the 13th company condones using Daemon weapons.
i agree that i'm light on anti-tank, only the obliterators and the statured lord can really perform that role. so i wouldn't want to drop one of them. the lord should be able (statistically) to get at least one hit on any vehicle, including a skimmer, and will have an average penetration of 13. also the only statured lord worth taking (in my opinion) is the khorne lord with some type of enhanced movement and feel no pain. the enhanced movement allows him to ignore the blood frenzy move, and feel no pain gives him two saves in ranged combat, against lascannon strength or less, of at least 5+ and 4+.

as far as the demon weapon goes, again i have ignored the chaos fluff in favor of my own. so any failed mastery rolls are supposed to represent the canis helix gene seed breaking the lords body down from within. i like the dreadaxe with stature because it allows no saves whatsoever. the dreadaxe will be modeled as an ancient powerfist/claw (see the inquisitor scale demonhunter tyrus for the actual bit) which replaced wulfen lord Tyr's actual hand which was lost in my fluff.

Quote:
Personally, it doesn't really look 13th Company to me. Chaos just can't accomplish that. The reason, is because they're supposed to be small groups, very expensive, and starting far away. In your case, you get to remove all the negative traits, and instead, take cheaper troops who infiltrate up close with the plasma goodies. Not to mention all the nasty daemons who arrive, without having to walk
to this i can only say that it isn't supposed to be a 13th company list just themed/fluffed that way. obviously there are limitations on what i can recreate. and quite honestly i feel i may have "power gamer" tendencies so i wanted a slightly harder list than i could have with a "pure" 13th. i will not play a list just to win, i want it to have good feel to it, with lots of good modeling oppportunities, but yeah i do want to win.

if the 13th name bothers you, how about a lost warband of Luna Wolves? (admittedly i know next to nothing of their actual fluff)
Old 05 Jan 2006, 16:26   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Thats the Black Legion dude.

Lunar Wolves became the Sons of Horus who became the Black Legion. Wolf Brothers might work though.
Old 05 Jan 2006, 19:09   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeH
Thats the Black Legion dude.

Lunar Wolves became the Sons of Horus who became the Black Legion. Wolf Brothers might work though.
thanks mike. but to be honest i still prefer the idea of lost Space Wolves to an actual chaos force. i was sort of kidding about Luna Wolves. it's just that i love the norse mythology of the S.W.

what i may do is call them a lost S.W. warband (not 13th company) to alleviate some of the inconsistencies between the traits i have and the traits of the 13th. another thing i may do is drop the unit of chosen (included only for the sorceror "rune priest") and replace it with a chaos lieutenant as suggested by shadowdeth. the lieutenant would be marked Tzeentch, perhaps with bolt of change (more anti-tank), and would represent one of Magnus' Sons who has managed to enslave the lost warband with foul magics to do his bidding while they still think themselves "loyal" to Russ. this idea will probably be more palatable fluffwise to true lords of chaos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corporal Chaos
I really like the creative thinking you put into the list. This opens up alot of options for my thinking on how to build a chaos list and not present it as a chaos army per say. Good work and thanks for the ideas.
thanks man, thats awesome that i could give something back to the community in my first post. the lists for chaos and the lost and the damned can be used to represent almost anything. and they also offer the most modeling opportunities to really make your force unique on the table. good luck.
Closed Thread