Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Super quick Q
Closed Thread
Old 05 Nov 2005, 08:43   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Super quick Q

Super quick Q:

What's the range for the Defilers Cannon and is it barrage?

I have the Codex at home, but alas I'm at work and just fiddles through the last battle which I lost to the Black Legion mainly due to his Defiler but he was shooting at me from one edge to the other of my 6 foot long table....

-Khelben
I'll stare the xxxxxxx in the face as he screams to God, and I'll laugh harder when he whimpers like a baby. And when his eyes go dead, the hell I send him to will seem like heaven after what I've done to him.
Old 05 Nov 2005, 11:31   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Super quick Q

Ordinance Barrage (when Indirect), if I remember quickly. I don't have the codex in front of me, so I can't say for sure. It's basically a Battle Cannon that can Indirect Fire.

~Andromidius
Old 05 Nov 2005, 13:04   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khelben
Super quick Q:

What's the range for the Defilers Cannon and is it barrage?

I have the Codex at home, but alas I'm at work and just fiddles through the last battle which I lost to the Black Legion mainly due to his Defiler but he was shooting at me from one edge to the other of my 6 foot long table....

-Khelben
Khelben

Asking for specific stats is not something you can do. If you have a codex at home, you will know shortly (unfortunately we cannot public copyrighted information, savez?).

However, consider that it is a Battle Cannon, just like on a Leman Russ. And they have plenty enough range to hit most things on most tables. If he was firing at you from 6 feet away, then he was just in range. They're quite nasty on the long boards because of this range, because most anti-tank weapons cannot respond to it without being much closer. Rest assured though, it can hit you on a 6 foot table, directly and indirectly.

Cheers!
Old 06 Nov 2005, 06:49   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Sure, I just wasn't sure if it had the Battle Cannons 72" range. But it seems to be just within range on a 6 foot long table. I'm sorry to say but I'm not quite sure on how many inches a foot is.. :-[ But remember that it's a 6 feet long table and the shot goes a bit from corner to adjacent corner. That's a lot of inches. But maybe the Disruption Pod would have done the trick - I mean the Vehicle Upgrade that subtracts 6 inches from the opponents weapon range.....?

-Khelben
I'll stare the xxxxxxx in the face as he screams to God, and I'll laugh harder when he whimpers like a baby. And when his eyes go dead, the hell I send him to will seem like heaven after what I've done to him.
Old 06 Nov 2005, 15:05   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khelben
Sure, I just wasn't sure if it had the Battle Cannons 72" range. But it seems to be just within range on a 6 foot long table. I'm sorry to say but I'm not quite sure on how many inches a foot is.. :-[ But remember that it's a 6 feet long table and the shot goes a bit from corner to adjacent corner. That's a lot of inches. But maybe the Disruption Pod would have done the trick - I mean the Vehicle Upgrade that subtracts 6 inches from the opponents weapon range.....?

-Khelben
There's 12 inches in a foot, so 72 will be 6 feet on the spot. If you consider that the board edge to board edge is exactly 6 feet, your models will be a few inches inside of that on both sides, which will probably reduce the range enough to ensure that you always have perfect range on the target (if you have line of sight or not that is).

Disruption pods can subtract more range off the battle cannon, but due to both models being inside the 6 feet, it will most likely still have full range on your vehicle. It only subtracts 6 inches, and your vehicles are each more than 3 inches in width/length inside of 6 feet, so the 72 inch shot will still have range almost certainly. Disruption pods generally only have real effects on the 48 and 36 inch weapons.

Sounds like something went wrong too, because a battle cannon firing at a skimmer is a pretty poor thing to attempt. It can't even damage it in most cases (scatter, ordnance center hole must be over the vehicles hull or it's half strength, but it only will glance a moving skimmer, and the penetration is useless when it's glanced, etc).

Cheers!
Old 07 Nov 2005, 13:58   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalVeauX
Disruption pods can subtract more range off the battle cannon, but due to both models being inside the 6 feet, it will most likely still have full range on your vehicle. It only subtracts 6 inches, and your vehicles are each more than 3 inches in width/length inside of 6 feet, so the 72 inch shot will still have range almost certainly. Disruption pods generally only have real effects on the 48 and 36 inch weapons.
I might have written it wrongly (English unfortunately not being my first language ), but the two tanks were in slightly diagonal corners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalVeauX
Sounds like something went wrong too, because a battle cannon firing at a skimmer is a pretty poor thing to attempt. It can't even damage it in most cases (scatter, ordnance center hole must be over the vehicles hull or it's half strength, but it only will glance a moving skimmer, and the penetration is useless when it's glanced, etc).
Unfortunately he won the roll of first turn, so my Hammerhead hadn't moved yet. Big bummer!
I have thought of making the gaming table once more as it was and then measure the approximate distance to find out.

-Khelben
Old 07 Nov 2005, 19:14   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Diagonal corners on a six foot table are aprox 86 inches apart so if the defiler and your hammerhaed were touching the corners of the table then it would have been out of range but if both of the vehicles distances from the corners added together = aprox 3" to 4" then he would have been in range because of the size of the tanks. hope this puts your mind at ease.
Old 07 Nov 2005, 19:58   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Sure does - Thx.
I'm buying the Disruption Pod from now on..

-Khelben
Closed Thread